HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Lets have a Sanity Check of where we are......

Offline picasso kid

• Academy Signing
on: 15 Jul 2007, 09:29:34 pm
Ok this is my two peneths worth and my honest opinion after todays game

We were comprehensively beaten by a far quicker, faster and well drilled team than ourselves.

On paper if you looked at Widens 1-17 and us, how many positions could you say are we are stronger than them (currently, will touch on that later !!)???

The team just did not live up to expectations and my dilemma is why..........

before today i was not for / against DR but now I am on the side of AGAINST.

My reasons are my believes and my analysis of watching the team for a number of years.
I now firmly believe that DR is not the coach for this club as IMHO he has a game plan that will work for London Bronco's (sorry Harlequins) or St Helen's, but not us.   I am not the worlds best coach but should we not adapt a game plan to suit the current squads strengths, rather than make a squad play a game plan ???

We changed our approach against Catalans, Duffy was 2nd receiver not 1st, so the forwards ran wider and were very effective.  But next game we reverted to the same game plan of Duffy at 1st receiver and the forwards hitting the ruck area as we have for every other game.

Which ever side of the ruck JD stands we go ...  so its very easy to read a game.  Every other club has scrum half running one directional play and the stand off running the other IE left and right.  We don't and this is bad.  Carl Rudd was signed for a reason and he should be allowed to play that way and not shackled or blinkered.

The team (I emphasise TEAM) changed the plan to get us to the final.  We were a beaten side at half time and the teams response to "get yourselves out of this..."  was to do exactly that and play open, expansive rugby and disregard the plan intended by the coach

Certain players seem to be picked when they are not performing well, and if the reality hits and several senior players decide to call it a day at the end of this season, we have a bloody big void to fill.  Most U21's are untested and those who we all know are good players are wanting to go back to their amateur clubs due to lack of prospects of breaking the 1st team.

The Head coach is payed to determine the best playing options against your opposition, pick a team to carry the plan out, ensure the motivation is 100% etc etc
I firmly believe this is not happening and will voice my opinion.  We have the same 19/20 who fill the starting 17. is this coaches favorites or his perception of the best 17.

Matty, Sicey, Smith and Lester all fighting for the 9 jersey.  4 Hookers... but lets keep them all happy by using 2nd row, loose forward etc as a playing position.  Ok Lester has gone leaving 3 but yet again today, all 3 play, 2 out of position at most times !!!

How we move on from this is the big question.  We are 3rd in league, not playing as good as we all know we can, but today we met a team who are serious about challenging for a better place in Rugby League.

We have to play Widens twice in league and Cas again.  Will the result be any different ????

Unless we play to our strengths we will finish 3rd or 4th and be a good NL1 team.

I will not stop going to matches or changes my support, but these are my views and am willing to be shot down or supported on them.

I will still be at the bar before and after the games as always.....

Whats your opinion......

PK

Offline Scoreboard

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2007, 09:48:25 pm
Picasso..I agree with some of your points.. i believe though we only have about 20 player able to play at thi level i.e the 17 today plus Wright Seeds Hill  S Mcavoy.  this idea Benson Ford Bainbridge Lancater Farmer and who ever else could lead haven to victory gainst Widnes and Cas and Leigh is jsut not realistic.

The other problem is that even with only 20 genuine first team player we have selection problems.  given every player has a decent job they have no incenetive not to theow the dummy if they are not playing.

I belive we can only ever successfully operate with a squad of 20 the key is how much quality we can get into the 20.  There is not enough competion locally to have more players challenging for place.   

Offline picasso kid

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2007, 09:57:42 pm
Picasso..I agree with some of your points.. i believe though we only have about 20 player able to play at thi level i.e the 17 today plus Wright Seeds Hill  S Mcavoy.  this idea Benson Ford Bainbridge Lancater Farmer and who ever else could lead haven to victory gainst Widnes and Cas and Leigh is jsut not realistic.

The other problem is that even with only 20 genuine first team player we have selection problems.  given every player has a decent job they have no incenetive not to theow the dummy if they are not playing.

I belive we can only ever successfully operate with a squad of 20 the key is how much quality we can get into the 20.  There is not enough competion locally to have more players challenging for place.   

But how  or when do the younger guys get a chance to show their worth ??  if you play for the u21's week in week out with no chance of 1st team rugby why do you bother.  If your good enough then surely you should be tried in selective matches such as Rochdale etc...

This is why we have big void if the senoir players stopped playing.  The pack especially.  Super league clubs blood youngsters of 18/19/20, so why cant us...

You need a goal or target to aim at when you are coming through the ranks, but a realistic chance must be at the end to prove yourself to the coach.

WHITEHAVENHERO

Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2007, 02:24:40 am
Ok this is my two peneths worth and my honest opinion after todays game

We were comprehensively beaten by a far quicker, faster and well drilled team than ourselves.

On paper if you looked at Widens 1-17 and us, how many positions could you say are we are stronger than them (currently, will touch on that later !!)???

The team just did not live up to expectations and my dilemma is why..........

before today i was not for / against DR but now I am on the side of AGAINST.

My reasons are my believes and my analysis of watching the team for a number of years.
I now firmly believe that DR is not the coach for this club as IMHO he has a game plan that will work for London Bronco's (sorry Harlequins) or St Helen's, but not us.   I am not the worlds best coach but should we not adapt a game plan to suit the current squads strengths, rather than make a squad play a game plan ???

We changed our approach against Catalans, Duffy was 2nd receiver not 1st, so the forwards ran wider and were very effective.  But next game we reverted to the same game plan of Duffy at 1st receiver and the forwards hitting the ruck area as we have for every other game.

Which ever side of the ruck JD stands we go ...  so its very easy to read a game.  Every other club has scrum half running one directional play and the stand off running the other IE left and right.  We don't and this is bad.  Carl Rudd was signed for a reason and he should be allowed to play that way and not shackled or blinkered.

The team (I emphasise TEAM) changed the plan to get us to the final.  We were a beaten side at half time and the teams response to "get yourselves out of this..."  was to do exactly that and play open, expansive rugby and disregard the plan intended by the coach

Certain players seem to be picked when they are not performing well, and if the reality hits and several senior players decide to call it a day at the end of this season, we have a bloody big void to fill.  Most U21's are untested and those who we all know are good players are wanting to go back to their amateur clubs due to lack of prospects of breaking the 1st team.

The Head coach is payed to determine the best playing options against your opposition, pick a team to carry the plan out, ensure the motivation is 100% etc etc
I firmly believe this is not happening and will voice my opinion.  We have the same 19/20 who fill the starting 17. is this coaches favorites or his perception of the best 17.

Matty, Sicey, Smith and Lester all fighting for the 9 jersey.  4 Hookers... but lets keep them all happy by using 2nd row, loose forward etc as a playing position.  Ok Lester has gone leaving 3 but yet again today, all 3 play, 2 out of position at most times !!!

How we move on from this is the big question.  We are 3rd in league, not playing as good as we all know we can, but today we met a team who are serious about challenging for a better place in Rugby League.

We have to play Widens twice in league and Cas again.  Will the result be any different ????

Unless we play to our strengths we will finish 3rd or 4th and be a good NL1 team.

I will not stop going to matches or changes my support, but these are my views and am willing to be shot down or supported on them.

I will still be at the bar before and after the games as always.....

Whats your opinion......

PK

We will get absolutely tonked at Widnes. They will put a bigger score on us then at Blackpool?

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2007, 08:59:48 am
We have to develop a sensible aproach in order to develop our young players. One or two at a time should be given a chance in the first team, but the others should be worked with in order to develop them. There has to be a smooth transition. For example: Bull should be mentoring Ford. Bull should play virtually all the games but Ford should be on the bench and given an opportunity to work and improve. same with Bamber, he should be working closely with Duffy and Rudd. Then every now and again he could be given a game and when Duffy is injured Bamber can step right in. At the moment it just seems to be  either 1st team or under 21's. There are no bridges of development and mentoring between the teams.
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2007, 09:55:44 am by Chorley Blue and Gold »