HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Welcome to.......Nikau Williams

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 16 Sep 2020, 07:00:05 am
Whitehaven RL is continuing to build for the 2021 Betfred Championship season as we have again looked overseas to bring in fresh, young talent to the squad.

Twenty year old Kiwi, Nikau Williams, has signed a one year deal with the Recreation Ground club for the 2021 Betfred Championship season. The scrum half has played rugby league since he was a kid in Auckland and then, when his family moved to Melbourne, in the Victoria State system. He played at Canterbury Bulldogs Under 20’s before joining the Melbourne Storm Under 20’s. He then signed for New South Wales, Canterbury Cup side, Newtown Jets. He has signed a one year deal  and is keen to try his hand in England.

Head Coach, Gary Charlton, said; “Nikau is a good fit for us. Everyone knows we’ve been looking for a scrum half that can lead us round the field. He’s got a good kicking game and he fits in with what we were looking for. I’m delighted we were able to get his signature.”

Nikau is relishing the challenge coming over to the UK saying, “I’m looking forward to getting over and meet the boys and testing myself in the Championship. I’ve wanted to play in England for a while and when I got the chance I couldn’t turn it down.”

A delighted Chairman, Tom Todd, said of the signing,"It is really rewarding to announce yet another signing from Australia. We have searched, as you all know, for quite a long time to find that elusive scrum half to get the team going forward on the attack. After a difficult search the football committee has found a good signing in Nikau Williams. A Kiwi by birth he has lived since the age of 12 in Melbourne. He has played for Canterbury Bulldogs and Melbourne Storm under 20's. I have seen some footage and he did remind me a little of Dave Watson. He looks strong, nippy and has an excellent kicking game. As I have said previously Gary's team is coming together very well and is creating an air of excitement. Well done to all concerned and a special thanks to the V.P.'s who are generously paying the airfares involved. It's fantastic when you see all the hard earned fund raising going into something specific - and when you support the various V.P's initiatives and others you can feel that you HAVE personally helped to get this player here so well done to everyone who supports us. Roll on 2021.”

🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2020, 08:20:43 am
Welcome to haven marra another great bit of business let's hope we can give them time to gel and get up and running fast

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:15:05 pm
Are there any videos on this guy.

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 16 Sep 2020, 01:53:07 pm

There’ll be some clips of him during the interview with him on Vice Presidents FB and Instagram page at 6pm tonight.

Des

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:24:39 pm

There’ll be some clips of him during the interview with him on Vice Presidents FB and Instagram page at 6pm tonight.

Des
Thanks Des.

Offline noahrob

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 16 Sep 2020, 02:35:44 pm
Who knows this lad could turn out to be a Sam Obst or Joel Penny

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #6 on: 16 Sep 2020, 04:52:49 pm
There's a clip on social of about 10 seconds where he steps and has good pace to score a try looks quality if that's out to go by

Offline meadow road lad

• Academy Signing
Reply #7 on: 16 Sep 2020, 06:38:43 pm
Let’s hope he is a Sam Obst or Joel Penny, this is good news and well done all involved to pull this off, I’m guessing Stan Martin played his part in securing this signing too....bring on next season, can’t wait  😊