HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Newton Re-Commits

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 09 Sep 2020, 08:43:35 am
More experience has been added to the Whitehaven 2021 Betfred Championship squad with the re-signing of hooker JAMES NEWTON. Twenty nine year old Newton has signed a three year deal with the club.

He joined Whitehaven from Hull FC in 2013 and made his debut on the 3rd of February 2013 in a 30-22 home win over York. Since then he has played in 161 games for Whitehaven scoring twenty nine tries. He joined Workington Town in 2018 for one season before returning to the Recreation Ground.

‘Newts’ is happy to commit to Haven for the next three years saying, “I’m over the moon to sign. Obviously I have spent a long time at this club now, I feel settled, my family loves coming here. This will tide me over now until I am what you would call a grandad in rugby league. I’m looking forward to next season with the squad we are putting together.”

Assistant Coach, Jonty Gorley, is pleased to have another experienced player in the squad. He said, “Newts is a good signing for us. He brings experience to the squad. At the start of this season we had a chat with him about his game and he took it on board. You could see a difference in his game and he played well. With three hookers there’s plenty of competition for places which can only be good.”

Haven Chairman, Tom Todd, said, “Another of our experienced players committing to the club and on this occasion for three years, this is an excellent piece of work by the football committee, and a sign of confidence and loyalty in the club by James Newton. Again, next year, experience is going to count for a great deal. James also comes with his own group of fans, they are a great crowd and perhaps next season we can expand the following from the south of the borough.”
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 10 Sep 2020, 08:30:06 am
Pleased to see an updated, albeit provisional, squad list for next season and Liam Cooper is a good addition. Still a few of last years squad would be good to get back, Ellis Gilliam, Dave Thompson, J J Parker (intosecond row.) Brett Phillips and pelap Glenn Riley. Still looking for the Marque signing to make the difference, hasthat young Aussie half back gone cold.

Offline Steven DeMont

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2020, 09:51:34 am
Cant see Charlo resigning JJ Parker.

Out of those you have mentioned I'd be looking to retain Gillam, Phillips and Thompson.

Riley has the pedigree but is too injury prone and would insist on a signing on fee / big wages I would imagine.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2020, 08:59:12 pm
Wonder if we can get burns back?