HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

James Worthington

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 09 Feb 2021, 06:23:34 pm
Whitehaven RLFC can today announce the capture of former Wigan player James Worthington. James can play across the backline and is seen as a direct replacement for the departing Sam Forrester and David Thompson, who have both left the club to pursue opportunities outside of the game. As well as experience at Wigan, James has also played on loan at Toulouse, Rochdale, Oldham and Workington Town. Scoring 2 tries against Wakefield on his Wigan debut, James comes highly recommended by former Haven coach Steve McCormack, who was his coach through the Wigan youth setup

The club wishes to thank both Dave and Sam for their contributions in the Chocolate, Blue and Gold. Thompson arrived at the club initially on dual registration before making the move permanently for the 2018 season and has been a mainstay in the side ever since.

The signing of Sam Forrester for the 2019 was seen as a big coup for the club, after making the short move from neighbours Workington Town. Sam proved a vital cog in Charlo's team that clinched the Betfred League One title in 2019, with Charlo stating that Sam was one of his best signings. Assistant coach Jonty Gorley had this to say in regards to Sam's departure " I'm gutted that Sam has left us, but having had a few conversations with him I totally understand why he chose to call it a day with rugby league. Among other things, Sam has a long standing neck complaint which is still causing him some concern. Having known Sam since he was my neighbour as a 3 or 4 year old, I would like to think I know his temperament well enough to realise that he has other priorities above rugby league at the moment. Sam has been great for the club, a popular lad among the players and coaches alike and always gave his best on the pitch, excelling at fullback or in the halves. We would have dearly loved to have kept Sam but he leaves with our thorough best wishes and thanks."
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›