HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Lets be fair To Dave Rotherham

Offline sculthorpes done

• Academy Signing
Reply #15 on: 19 Jul 2007, 09:04:26 am
they are as good if not better than some of the local boys thats why we pay the money for  a bit of experience :D :D :D

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 19 Jul 2007, 12:21:18 pm
Rotheram is a rubbish coach, the only reason we nearly got there was because he was using a team that Paul Cullen and Steve McCormack built, Rotherham has made the squad poor and we alsp need to get back to basics in training its obvious he's not coaching them the basics because we have never dropped as many balls like that before and made so many stupid offloads and mistakes also.... ROTHERAM IS CRAP GET HIM OUT!!!!!!

i agree wid u. i mean ow gd is he if he drops sum of our most experieced players seedsy and McAvoy were there wos nothing wrong wid them! i hate DR he needs to go!!!

seeds and mcavoy have both been injured this season mcavoy still is and when seeds came back derrie was playing really well so you cant just drop him because the almighty david seeds is back
haven till i die

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2007, 06:23:20 am
he can with a little thing called ball handling! something they can pratice in training :D
And they do

I don't think he was talking about each others balls! haha was a joke i could not resist! ;D

Offline cumbria 1

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 20 Jul 2007, 09:25:13 pm
if we went with a fully local team this year we would still be in this position the traveling players should be brought in to improve the team like fletch but they havnt if anything they have made us worse off . I didnt see andy pride on sunday and i onestly think with a few youngens and local players i think you would see alot more effort i much rather see us spend are money much more wisely in the future i would rather have 2 exelent traveling players than aload of average  players

Offline haven123456789

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2007, 10:24:01 pm
he can with a little thing called ball handling! something they can pratice in training :D
And they do
Obviously not enough

Offline Topfan

• Academy Signing
Reply #20 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:25:11 pm
There been plenty of discussion on this forum in recent weeks about our club , the Coach ,the Players ,The board of Directors , the ground and Uncle Tom Cobley and all .

First let me say that everyone is entitled to their opinion  but that all it is opinion  and what is an opinion  one definition is as follows ? ?a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty?

So lets start talking about what we can prove and what is certain  .

Re The Coach

Let me put my opinion here ? a coach is paid to get the best results from the team and as far as I can see DR has done all that could be asked of him in this repect . Maybe we haven?t played fantastically well at times , but remember a coach called Kevin Tamati , his teams  played some fantastic rugby and scored some great trys but couldn?t win games or not enough of them when it mattered and he more than anyone nearly brought the club to its knees in 2000 . What would you rather have playing great football  or winning ?take your pick but I know which I would choose .
In truth   the team is probably going to finish third this season ? I don?t think anyone could have asked for any better at the start of the season  so the coach has delivered on what was asked of him

Well Dave Rotheram  certainly has his critics , plenty of people on here have Little or no time for him and would  be happy to see the back of him . Well he certainly isn?t   perfect and has made mistakes ? but hey what about Steve McCormack or Paul Cullen they didn?t get it right first time very time ? there was fallouts , disputes and bad results when these guys were here ? but distance does lend enchantment and some  Haven Fans certainly suffer from that   .
 That s not to say mistakes haven?t been made the Lester and Seeds situation was most regretable and should have been better handled  , but the different reaction of the two players in question should be noted 

Change for Change sake can be most destructive  but that is what some supporters are calling for . What I would say to them is please name  a coach who would improve  things and why ???

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 20 Aug 2007, 10:51:34 am
All I Cann Sayy Is

Dave Should Stayy

Vikki xX

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #22 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:12:24 pm
There been plenty of discussion on this forum in recent weeks about our club , the Coach ,the Players ,The board of Directors , the ground and Uncle Tom Cobley and all .

First let me say that everyone is entitled to their opinion  but that all it is opinion  and what is an opinion  one definition is as follows ? ?a personal belief or judgment that is not founded on proof or certainty?

So lets start talking about what we can prove and what is certain  .

Re The Coach

Let me put my opinion here ? a coach is paid to get the best results from the team and as far as I can see DR has done all that could be asked of him in this repect . Maybe we haven?t played fantastically well at times , but remember a coach called Kevin Tamati , his teams  played some fantastic rugby and scored some great trys but couldn?t win games or not enough of them when it mattered and he more than anyone nearly brought the club to its knees in 2000 . What would you rather have playing great football  or winning ?take your pick but I know which I would choose .
In truth   the team is probably going to finish third this season ? I don?t think anyone could have asked for any better at the start of the season  so the coach has delivered on what was asked of him

Well Dave Rotheram  certainly has his critics , plenty of people on here have Little or no time for him and would  be happy to see the back of him . Well he certainly isn?t   perfect and has made mistakes ? but hey what about Steve McCormack or Paul Cullen they didn?t get it right first time very time ? there was fallouts , disputes and bad results when these guys were here ? but distance does lend enchantment and some  Haven Fans certainly suffer from that   .
 That s not to say mistakes haven?t been made the Lester and Seeds situation was most regretable and should have been better handled  , but the different reaction of the two players in question should be noted 

Change for Change sake can be most destructive  but that is what some supporters are calling for . What I would say to them is please name  a coach who would improve  things and why ???

excellent post
haven till i die

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #23 on: 20 Aug 2007, 11:12:07 pm

if thats all rotherham was brought in to do then:

1 we might as well have given the job to peter smith and saved a few quid into the bargain

2 it shows a total lack of any kind of ambition by the board of directors

sorry  but he has done nothing but take the team back, FACT he has already failed once to get to the grand final, his predecessor managed to get us to 2 grand finals.

the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

justonelilpoint

Reply #24 on: 21 Aug 2007, 08:43:35 am
Its a fine line between sucess and failure in this Divison.Daft defeats at donny and at home to Leigh would have given us 5 more points and if we'd beaten Cas the other week at home, we'd have been looking towards the Widnes game knowing a win would put us 2nd with an excellent chance of reaching Grand final and then DR would have achieved !
However Its not the results that have ahd people moaning all season ,But the manner in which we've achieved those results for majority of the season.Cant say ive seen us play brilliantly all season  and some games we've ground out results. We have lacked players like Obst, Nanyn,Penny etc , Flair players who'd win you games on their own.Even players like Tandy who were rugged props who broke the line and dont forget the demise of our Captain marvel.
Id go as far as to say if Obst and Nanyn had been in this side we'd have reached another final no problem.
Whether the way we've played is down to DR or the players i dont know.We definately went through a dip where some werent playing like we know they should and only they know the reasons why.
Dave isnt the type of coach who will stand chatting for ages to fans in club. After the Cas game Paul Cullen must have stayed for over 2 hours talking to people ,signing autographs and its that side to him and Steve Mac that make them loved by Haven fans and always will.Get them on your side from the start and you've won half the battle in the hearts and minds of fans before you've played a game.
Your right who would we get whose better than Dave for next season ? But then who was? Dave Rotheram when the last set of applicants applied ? Who was Stan Martin when he first came ? Hands up those who'd heard of them ? Never know who would fancy the job.
Next season in my mind could easily be more difficult for Haven, quite few retiring,Some travelling lads perhaps moving on and carefull recruiting by the coach and board will be needed.
Whatever the outcome on the decison for coach next season.Needs sorted very soon.The merry go round with players will start again shortly, we dont want to be left out looking for players and overseas players while we look for a coach.
If the board feel he's achieved then why are we waiting for him to be offered a new contract ,get it on table now and end speculation . .Perhaps the board is equally as split as the fans in their views!

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #25 on: 21 Aug 2007, 12:45:45 pm
The biggest problem for me is the attack.
When DR took over we were going to play open attacking rugby.
Now we are playing one man drives with no backing up and the forwards aren't taking the ball in until the 4th tackle on average.
There is no structure to our attack.

There's not too much wrong with the defence.
We get caught out wide at times and struggle under the high ball, but then so do a lot of teams.

It's our attack that needs drastic surgery

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #26 on: 21 Aug 2007, 01:41:53 pm
some big hard forwards are needed theres a few finished at the end of the season lets hope we get class to replace them not has beens.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #27 on: 21 Aug 2007, 04:35:37 pm
Correct.
The backs cannot flourish without a platform being made by the forwards

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 25 Aug 2007, 10:15:47 am
I agree that Dave Rotheram has contributed nothing to the cause.

Our once proud sliding defence is regularly exposed. Our attacking game is so predictable and unentertaining. DR promised we would see a faster more expasive type of game when the pitches dried out--it didn't happen. If you are going to judge Dr don't simply look at our position in the league. Look at the elements of our game where you can see improvements introduced by the coach ( there aren't any that I can see) look at the negative elements of our game since his arrival ( no one supports the player on the breakl, often we appear deviod of ideas when we have the ball, we are nieve in defence as we havent been coached in the skills of slowing the game down as other teams do and in attack  we dont struggle to play the ball convincingly and therefore don,t get awarded as many free kicks as others. We regularly see 3 men smother an opponent then ease up before "held" has been called, allowing him to slip the ball. Great fullback that Gary Broadbent is he kills every attacking move, Calvert isn't strong or brave enough to take the ball in first or second man, his strength is his pace and he isn't given enough quality ball.. When he could have used the Northern Rails comp to give more game time to his accademy lads he chose not to and succeeded in creating unrest within the squad. He was undoubtedly the reason why Aaron Lester retired prematurely. And the list goes on
It would be reasonable to expect that when you appoint acoach that one of the attributes you would look for would be his connections within the game and his ability to bring in some quality players ( other than Fletcher I don't think he has)

So if we decide to keep him then he needs to be given some measurable targets that he can be held accountable for and not just position in the league or Northern rail cup final ( cos we all know we only got there by getting a lucky semi draw) If  there is no sign that he is achieving his targets and he is not up to the job, then take a leaf out of Fred Storys book and get rid.

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #29 on: 25 Aug 2007, 05:37:29 pm
hes canny poor like