HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Dave Eccleston

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 07 Oct 2021, 06:00:00 pm
Whitehaven Rugby League can this evening announce the first new signing of the 2022 Betfred Championship squad as winger Dave Eccleston will join us from Betfred League 1's North Wales Crusaders.

Eccleston has been at the Welsh outfit since 2019 having first spent time at Crusaders back in 2017 on loan from St Helens as well as season at Oldham back in 2018. Eccleston was part of the St Helens Under 19's side alongside Liam Cooper that won the academy grand final in extra time after spending the entire season unbeaten.

Speaking about signing for the club Eccleston said “ The move to Whitehaven is a chance for me to test myself at a higher level as I’ve never played in the Championship before.

“I want to take the opportunity and show what I can do personally at that level.”

Eccleston has made over 30 appearances for the Welsh side since permanently signing for the Crusaders. Head coach Jonty Gorley spoke saying  “I'm happy to have Dave on board for next season. He's came through the saints production line, same as Ronnie, when you get lads that have come through them type of systems you know you're getting a well rounded player with the right attributes on and off the field.
Dave is a winger that carries well setting off sets on the front foot, he can also play centre too and is sound defensively.”

Club Director and member of the football committee Ashley Kilpatrick said “It’s great to have dave on board he’s signed for 2 years at the club following his relocation to the area with his partner.

Dave came to our attention when it became clear that we might lose Lachlan Walmsley. Liam Cooper was the lad who brought dave to our attention. He had played with Dave at St. Helens and spoke highly of him and about how well he carries from the back and how strong his defence is which pricked mine and Jonty’s ears up, I went to watch Dave play for North Wales against Workington where he played in the centre which isn’t his normal position. I was very impressed with his performance that day and reported back to Jonty with the information he had asked me to keep an eye on. After watching Dave and speaking to another couple of people about him, we acted quickly to secure his signature and when we met what came across was his enthusiasm for the game. Another big thing was his attitude and how humble he was, he is a great lad and we feel he will fit right in with the lads and what we are doing as a club both on and off the field.”

« Last Edit: 07 Oct 2021, 06:34:59 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline Johnpauljones

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2021, 02:58:29 am
Hope he does well. Very big boots to fill on the wing after Walmsley .  Seven trys for Crusaders in Champ 1 last year.
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2021, 03:00:29 am by Johnpauljones »

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2021, 07:35:18 am
It’s worrying when we are saying we need to push on from this year but replacing Lachlan with a league 1 player tells me we just don’t have the money to replace Lachlan

Offline eternal optimist

• First Team Backup
Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2021, 09:28:45 am
It’s worrying when we are saying we need to push on from this year but replacing Lachlan with a league 1 player tells me we just don’t have the money to replace Lachlan

Karl Dixon was NCL didn’t stop him going well in the Championship. You’d never heard of Walmsley this time last year. Do you think he signed for what he wants now? Get real look at our gates, plus a 50% cut in funding. Have you seen Eccleston play? The coach has and he liked what he saw.

The club has a playing budget and that is being squeezed. There are good players out there in League One. It is about the player and what the coach believes he can bring to the team not the league they are in.

Des

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2021, 09:35:57 am
Hopefully we are all proved wrong and he’s as good as Lachlan des not questioning what jonty sees in him at all I’m willing to give the lad a chance I know the situation with finances is not as as good this year and that’s acceptable and understandable do we not get any extra money from getting to the playoffs?

Offline spacecake

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 08 Oct 2021, 01:00:20 pm
Welcome to haven marra . Give the lad a chance he also plays centre came thro St helens system so will also be capable of filling in for jjp and Jason mossop

Offline HavenRL2010

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2021, 01:23:16 pm

Karl Dixon was NCL didn’t stop him going well in the Championship. You’d never heard of Walmsley this time last year. Do you think he signed for what he wants now? Get real look at our gates, plus a 50% cut in funding. Have you seen Eccleston play? The coach has and he liked what he saw.

The club has a playing budget and that is being squeezed. There are good players out there in League One. It is about the player and what the coach believes he can bring to the team not the league they are in.

Des
There is good players in league 1 most of our team have played in it and have made the step up no reason why this new lad can't.
The guy who plays centre for Keighley is a cracking player I wouldn't mind him in our team.

Offline Biffer

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2021, 04:57:22 pm

Des
There is good players in league 1 most of our team have played in it and have made the step up no reason why this new lad can't.
The guy who plays centre for Keighley is a cracking player I wouldn't mind him in our team.

Charlie Graham??

Offline HavenRL2010

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 09 Oct 2021, 11:06:28 am

Des

Charlie Graham??
Yeah good player plenty of pace.

Offline touchjudge57

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 09 Oct 2021, 12:44:46 pm
We need to face facts. Next season will be tough on the money front and we’ll have nowhere near the playing budget that will allow us to bring in top end championship players.
I have spoken to a lad that followers Crusaders and Dave comes highly recommended and has a decent pedigree having played in the Saints Academy Grand Final winning team of 2016.  He looks very much in the Dave Thompson mould and I have every confidence that Jonty and the championship will bring out the best in him.
Welcome to ‘Haven Dave 🟤🔵🟡,