HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Grand final

Bora18 · 18 · 1343

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #15 on: 14 Aug 2007, 04:40:44 pm
well said too much of the old 5 drives and a kick (a poor kick aswel) we need to put some set moves on start trying to confuse the opposition everything is too obvious

we dont do 5 drives and a kick, what we actually do is..............

tackle 1  GB takes ball in, as forwards amble slowly back
tackle 2 CC takes ball in, as forwards still amble back
tackle 3 GB takes ball in, forwards are almost back now
tackle 4 SM takes ball in, forwards are now back and bunched up as if waiting for a train or bus
tackle 5 DF takes ball in
tackle 6 we kick......poorly ;) ;)

and rotherham gets well paid to coach this!! :o :o

yeah thats right  :D we need to change that for next season

Ive noticed that aswell !! CC doesnt make any yards neither does SM so its a waste of tackles
All the players need to get back fast ! Also there's no creativity   when la sam or joel were here they used to be making gaps and dancing in and out of players there doesnt seem to be anyone doing that at the moment

Offline Iddy

• Academy Signing
Reply #16 on: 14 Aug 2007, 05:14:24 pm
This thread hits the nail on the head for me. Having watched the Castleford game i'd have to name GB as our best FORWARD - certainly takes the ball up more than any of the others.

The Castleford game was a great defensive effort but there was very little in attack, particularly from our pack. We need to see much more movement, dummy runners, runners coming back gainst the defensive line etc if we are to progress. But lets face it - if we field two aging props three hookers and a stand off in the pack then what do we expect to happen? Flectch and Jacko have a bit of go foward - but one of them thinks he's a center and the other one thinks he's Rocky.

As for the backs - apart from the occasional switch move from Duffy and the odd kick theres not much going on there either. Steve Maden wants to put as much effort into running with the ball as he does trying to niggle the opposition player every time he gets tackled. Craig Calvert just needs to be  the ball in space (not first man at acting halfback !!!!).

As for David Seeds - we are certainly going to miss him. I'm not sure if Haven fans really appreciate what a good player he is. His defense in the Castleford game (crucial tackles at the right time) was oustanding.

To sum up - it takes more than effort to succeed in this league (though after Blackpool its nice to see some spirit) - We need the right selections, right tactics and right game plan.

Another grand final - my heart says yes but my head says no.

Plenty to work on next season (with a new coach perhaps?)

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 14 Aug 2007, 07:10:41 pm
well said too much of the old 5 drives and a kick (a poor kick aswel) we need to put some set moves on start trying to confuse the opposition everything is too obvious

we dont do 5 drives and a kick, what we actually do is..............

tackle 1  GB takes ball in, as forwards amble slowly back
tackle 2 CC takes ball in, as forwards still amble back
tackle 3 GB takes ball in, forwards are almost back now
tackle 4 SM takes ball in, forwards are now back and bunched up as if waiting for a train or bus
tackle 5 DF takes ball in
tackle 6 we kick......poorly ;) ;)

and rotherham gets well paid to coach this!! :o :o

Hey Big Mac, do you mean there's another way of playing, cos' Town play like that as well!!!!!!!!!!    I thought that was the only way to play RL.  ::) ::)

just imagine keith,

when we get a franchise for SL in cumbria, we'll shake up the way the game is played  ;),

there'll be no more of this fast expansive crap that they play in SL now,
NO WAY SIR!
it'll be our way, and i reckon it will catch on pretty quick too!! ::) ::)
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good