HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Ike Southward Trophy 2024

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
on: 26 Nov 2023, 03:00:00 pm
Whitehaven Rugby League can today announce in partnership with Workington Town that the annual pre-season Ike Southward Memorial fixture between the two clubs will take place at Workington’s Fibrus Community Stadium on Sunday 21st January with a 3pm kick off.  The fixture which has been annually held since 2006 apart from a one year hiatus in 2021 due to Covid-19 has become a major part of both club’s pre-season when the clash rolls around. The fixture remembers Cumbrian rugby league legend Ike Southward following his passing in June 2006. Ike played the majority of his career at Workington Town between 1953-1968 either side of a spell at Oldham between 1959-1961. Southward also represented Cumberland  as well as Great Britain during his illustrious career. Southward also went on at the end of his playing career to have coaching spells with both clubs.

Whitehaven are the current holders of the trophy following a 22-6 victory over Town in the 2023 meeting at the then LEL Arena with tries coming from Karl Dixon, Curtis Teare, Alex Bishop & Lachlan Lanskey. Haven head coach Jonty Gorley is a family friend of the Southward’s and holds a special place for this particular derby meeting between the two clubs saying “It’s an important game for both clubs, I knew Ike personally and take it seriously every year and it’s going to be an integral part of our pre-season preparations. It’s important that we keep the cup going and play it ever year as for us it’s not just another friendly its a serious fixture.”
🤎💙💛 Whitehaven RLFC 🤎💙💛

Offline meesterC

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2023, 08:22:37 am
Should be a good pre season friendly, let's hope both sides come out of the game injury free.

Offline stockporthaven

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2023, 02:48:56 pm
Looking forward to the Ike game but cant find any record of previous years result. I think it was first played in 2006? and I think Haven have had the better results over the years but would like to win an argument with a townie if there is a definitive list of results anywhere..