HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Can we challenge next season ??

Offline Scoreboard

• Academy Signing
Reply #15 on: 02 Aug 2007, 10:26:18 pm
Keith

no doubt money will be tight but assuming the club raise somethinglike the moneythey need to forthe stand, I guess the money will come from the contract money the players who retire next year are getting this year.  I.e trindall fats A Smith if he goes.  Also its not just about money its about clever recruitment. You can pick up a couple of young Kiwis or Aussies for some accomodation and a bit of part time work.  Obst Lester and Fats and Joe didn't come over here for loads of cash.

I think we are more than capable of bringing in four or five players to give us a good shot next year,  dont forget we have had decent runs in the challenge cup and NRC plus we will probably get three play off games say Leigh (h) 2300 Halifax 2700  and Cas (a)  6000  thats 11,000 x ?12 = ?132,000 * 50% = ?66,000 take tax off and its still enough for 3 -4 good part time players or overseas recruits with part time jobs.

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #16 on: 02 Aug 2007, 11:38:44 pm

If we could compete (not capitulate as we did on Black Sunday) with the Widnes's, Castlefords, Hull KR's and Salford's as they Yo-Yo up and down from Super League, .......and pull off the occasional 'shock result' against them ....then that's excitement enough for me. (What's the point of being in SL and getting trounced every week as we were on Black Sunday ?)

unfortunately that statement is exactly why we will never attain SL status, too many fans and players, like it or not, are stuck in a comfort zone, indeed as you say what is the point of getting trounced every week when they can stick to NL 1 and pick up a handy ?300 odd for winning most games, on top of that add to it their nice little earnings from BNFL, can you blame them for being where we are?

bobby goulding got it right last year in senny's when he said he would clear the lot out and fetch in players who WANT to play in SL,
unfortunately we now have nobody who wants to aspire to the highest level of rl as it would mean having to leave the comfort zone

no doubt i will get slated for this but its the truth, and sometimes the truth hurts dont it!?

No slating from me either, just like to point out that for  half decent SL players you will want to put another zero on the 300!
The way i see it is the club has to juggle money till they get in the SL door and then the money comes from the league and the extra sponsors to start building a SL side.
Example, Willy Mason was just offered 500,000 a season by harlequins which he said no to and the average for a SL player would be around the 120,0000 mark.
A decent job will give you well over 300 a day, so the match payments need to be increased {doubled} to give more incentive for enticing players.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #17 on: 03 Aug 2007, 12:57:43 am
haven have already said the muny for the stands is seperate and the club has a fund for players seperate so we should be ok

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #18 on: 03 Aug 2007, 01:58:24 am
as i have said previously, next season we need to have an established core of full time players, say 6-8 to start with, these players must be in the key positions of hooker, full back, half backs, loose forward, keep the remaining players part time, and as we show we can compete with the widneses and castlefords more speccys will come down, increasing finances for more full time players later in the season aiming for a push towards the GF and into SL for 2009

after the NRC final des said we need to show we are an ambitious club................... well this is the way to show it, with all due respect to the guy, the signing of an ageing wanderer hardly sets fear into the widnes and castleford camps

i am under no illusions, it is a huge gamble, but one the club needs to consider very seriously if we are to better our position of being "the best of the rest"
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #19 on: 03 Aug 2007, 05:51:14 am
Building  of  the  stand  should  not  take  away  any  cash  for  new  players  IMO.  The  2  are  seperate  issues.  Hopefully  the  money  for  the  stand  will come  through  funding  IE  donation's  +  don't  forget  the  Pride  of  5  lottery.

As  for  new  players  I  would  look  to  bring  in  3  maybe  4  forwards but  it  depends  on  who goes.  There's  quite  a  few  that  aren't  far  off  mid  30's  so  if  they  went  it  should  leave  enough  funding  to  bring  in  at  least  a  couple.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #20 on: 03 Aug 2007, 02:06:21 pm
Keith

no doubt money will be tight but assuming the club raise somethinglike the moneythey need to forthe stand, I guess the money will come from the contract money the players who retire next year are getting this year.  I.e trindall fats A Smith if he goes.  Also its not just about money its about clever recruitment. You can pick up a couple of young Kiwis or Aussies for some accomodation and a bit of part time work.  Obst Lester and Fats and Joe didn't come over here for loads of cash.

I think we are more than capable of bringing in four or five players to give us a good shot next year,  dont forget we have had decent runs in the challenge cup and NRC plus we will probably get three play off games say Leigh (h) 2300 Halifax 2700  and Cas (a)  6000  thats 11,000 x ?12 = ?132,000 * 50% = ?66,000 take tax off and its still enough for 3 -4 good part time players or overseas recruits with part time jobs.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #21 on: 03 Aug 2007, 02:10:49 pm
Keith

Scoreboard if you ask any director I'm sure they will tell you that the club would have probably have budgeted for more epople attending that they have actaully been getting through the gates.    After that I think you will find that included in the final figure that is published in the press is season ticket holders who have already paid pre-season and it also includes kids at ?2 or ?3 whatever it is.    Then whatever the club takes in for that home match has to be halved to pay the expenses for the following weeks away match, so you can see that although these crowds look to be good the club really needs another 1500 coming through the gates every week, i.e. about 3,000 to 3,500 to be comfortable in NL1 with part-time players.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #22 on: 03 Aug 2007, 02:23:50 pm
I think before anyone can say out matters like that are left to the bod.Lets see what happens.