HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

IS IT JUST ME?

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
  • I am watching YOU marra ! Be Warned !
on: 01 Aug 2007, 07:26:46 pm
Well to start with folks just to give you a little background. I have been watching Haven play now for more than 35 years. I use to go down with my dad to every game; my dad had supported them since they came into the game. My dad died in 2000 never ever seeing them achieve anything, but he was always there shouting them on, His favourite cry when the opposing side got the ball was ? Burry them? Now the thing being is I started taking my son to the Haven games when he was 7 years old, he is now coming up to his 21st birthday, So he as been following them home and away for 14 years. Now I cannot explain it but before the Blackpool game we both were real die hard fans. We always had a moan and groan when things never went Havens way, even when they put up that abysmal display against Doncaster a game that we should have walked by the way, We said that?s the last ?13 they are getting out of me, but as usual mid week we were looking forward to the next match and put the naff performance behind us. But this time it?s different I have no passion for the club no longer, me or my son. When we use to go down to the match my 18 year old nephew used to come with us, since he was about 10 he was really into following Whitehaven big time, he was more enthused by Haven then me or my son, he ate, slept, talked Haven every chance he got. But he to no longer as the passion to go watch the team play any more since the Blackers game. So I do not know what is happening at Haven with the supporters, I do not know if it is just us that have been left void of emotions for the club anymore, or if there are many like me out there?
I suppose we will see the damage of Blackers nightmare this Sunday against Batley, or see if it?s just me who as lost the faith? Like I started off this thread with my dad and I, I do not know if many can remember the late 60?s early 70?s down at the recre, the stand now that is the posh blue stand with a roof and seating used to be a row of benches, we used to crawl in there as kids and pick up all the coins, packets of fags, lighters, and caps that the guys had dropped under there, then there is the popular side, when that was covered and you were a young un, and the crowd was good  back then, when you use to run about in there amongst the grown ups legs, it was as black as night because there was that many fans in there, Esk avenue used to be full of cars even back then and the amount of folk walking down the road going  to the match & and the crowd walking home through the cattle arch, it was as black as night and people were always falling and tripping up over other peoples feet, Oh for the good old days eh?  My dad followed the club since 1948, He told me the best game he ever watched played at the Recre was In the 1956/57 season when Whitehaven defeated the Australian tourists by 14 pts to 11 before 11,000 fans & the best ever Whitehaven game he watched he told me was the game they lost 10 - 9 to Leeds in a Challenge cup semi final before a crowd of 50,000. What could we do with the 11000 crowd now that we got in the 50?s?
But I am sad to say my dad never watched he beloved Haven pick up any silver ware, or achieve anything to boast about. So now I am thinking I too will never see this club go into SL. Who knows maybe my son?s sons will have something to shout about in the future. But after 35 years of heartache, allot of good times. An awful lot of bad times. I have now lost faith in the club I use to love and follow week in week out since a I was a young un .
Is it only me? Or do any others feel the same?
Any body got any fond memories of freezing cold days of Rugby gone by, be nice to hear some stories.

WHAT HAPPENED TO ITCHAWAWAH OOH, MASSAMBOOLA OOH, ZIGGA ZAGGA, IT USE TO BE SHOUTED ALL MATCH LONG, AND THEM OLD WOODEN RATCHETS, WHERE THEY ALL GO TO LOLL. ;)

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 01 Aug 2007, 07:56:46 pm
true marra, but all season we,v scraped threw games to come back second half to win but to try play that way with bigger teams just don't happen our ball handling has been poor and over laps on the backs just lets players threw as we seen in the final. lets hope this can get sorted and a Haven with fire comes out next season and play our best the rest of this season.
oh and the ITCHAWAWAH OOH, can be herd at most away games lol

Offline Javtee

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 01 Aug 2007, 08:22:01 pm
No I don't think your alone.  We normally go to the matches in a group of 7.  This includes a granparent, parents and kids.  The 7 of us normally drops to 3 if there is any sign of bad weather.  We stand on the half way line and don't really enjoy watching the game from the Kells End.  It doesn't take much on telly to keep them at home.  Fickle I know, but its the reality of not providing adequate facilities for the fans.  I enjoy going to away games to see how other clubs are developing there grounds.  If you look at what Batley have done on 600 gates, new stand on the far side of the ground.  I know Halifax have had there problems but when the stand on the far side is completed what a stadium the Shay will be.  In business you reap what you sew and if what is being presented on the playing field isn't that special then you can understand why some people aren't being enticed to the Rec week in week out.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #3 on: 01 Aug 2007, 10:00:34 pm
No, it's not just you JamEater, and if it's any consolation to you I don't think it is just Haven fans who are feeling that way!!!

I think many fans of National League clubs are finally beginning to see that the future for their clubs means no higher than National League 1.   At the end of next season, yes, next season, the RFL and SL will introduce the "Licence"system (they've changed it from franchise system) and that will mean the end of any hopes of small town clubs like ours ever getting into SL.   Directors of our clubs can huff, and puff, as much as they like but they want to keep the dream alive so that people don't stop attending matches now.   I just wish they would think about 10, 15 years time instead but the simple truth is that they are only interested in now.

As a Town fan of 59 years, I know that the highest we will ever be able to achieve is where Haven are now, i.e. near the top of National League 1.    Haven's future ambition has to be not 3rd in NL1 but top, so that they can claim to be the best of the part-time clubs in British RL.   In both cases hardly earth shattering achievements but nonetheless success for the diehards like us who will be there with about 300 - 400 other hardy soles in the next few seasons after 2008.

I believe that as we get nearer and nearer to the cut off point more National League club fans will also be thinking this way, especially those that were like us, brought up on seeing the Wigan's, Leed's, Saints, Bradford's, teams coming to our little grounds to play our heroes.    No matter what I can't whip up the enthusiasm when I go to watch the Blackpool's, Gateshead's, Batley's, etc.    Super League is the be all and end all now of British RL and like it or not neither of our clubs will ever be there on our own.     There are many in both camps who will shout me down for saying that but it is the truth and more and more people are starting to see it is the only way forward.   The only way to compete with the big boys, not only for our sakes but for future generations.

Whether we ever see that in my life-time I don't know but to all those who oppose the idea I would say just sit down and think it over in a dispassionate way and see what conclusions you come to!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
  • I am watching YOU marra ! Be Warned !
Reply #4 on: 01 Aug 2007, 10:39:06 pm
No, it's not just you JamEater, and if it's any consolation to you I don't think it is just Haven fans who are feeling that way!!!

I think many fans of National League clubs are finally beginning to see that the future for their clubs means no higher than National League 1.   At the end of next season, yes, next season, the RFL and SL will introduce the "Licence"system (they've changed it from franchise system) and that will mean the end of any hopes of small town clubs like ours ever getting into SL.   Directors of our clubs can huff, and puff, as much as they like but they want to keep the dream alive so that people don't stop attending matches now.   I just wish they would think about 10, 15 years time instead but the simple truth is that they are only interested in now.

As a Town fan of 59 years, I know that the highest we will ever be able to achieve is where Haven are now, i.e. near the top of National League 1.    Haven's future ambition has to be not 3rd in NL1 but top, so that they can claim to be the best of the part-time clubs in British RL.   In both cases hardly earth shattering achievements but nonetheless success for the diehards like us who will be there with about 300 - 400 other hardy soles in the next few seasons after 2008.

I believe that as we get nearer and nearer to the cut off point more National League club fans will also be thinking this way, especially those that were like us, brought up on seeing the Wigan's, Leed's, Saints, Bradford's, teams coming to our little grounds to play our heroes.    No matter what I can't whip up the enthusiasm when I go to watch the Blackpool's, Gateshead's, Batley's, etc.    Super League is the be all and end all now of British RL and like it or not neither of our clubs will ever be there on our own.     There are many in both camps who will shout me down for saying that but it is the truth and more and more people are starting to see it is the only way forward.   The only way to compete with the big boys, not only for our sakes but for future generations.

Whether we ever see that in my life-time I don't know but to all those who oppose the idea I would say just sit down and think it over in a dispassionate way and see what conclusions you come to!!!

Nicely said marra, What is wrong with having Team Cumbria, As the old film Field of Dreams says and I quote!

"If you build it, They will come"  I for one await it with eager anticipation!  ;D ;)

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 01 Aug 2007, 11:48:31 pm
As i said long ago when the SL doors are shut i think allot of fans wont come to the games,  meby watching more local amateur clubs, 1 thing will come out of this tho the armature clubs will get stronger with them not wanting to leave there club

Offline Fourfoot

• Academy Signing
Reply #6 on: 02 Aug 2007, 12:58:22 pm
 :'(
Am a bit emotional after reading this thread. My feelings are that the present administration are destroying this fantastic sport with their "buy your way into Super League" approach. Remember how Keighley embraced the new era and were heralded for their spirit? And where did it get them?
To me, sport is about fair play, and the RL are not playing fair, not just against us, but every other club outside SL. Instead of modelling our system on that of Australia and slamming the door on the dream of hundreds of loyal supporters, they should be looking to (and don't jump on me for saying this) the FA who have successfully managed to sell the Premier League dream worldwide, where even the minnows of FC United can compete to reach the top. That to me, is fair play.

Haven- It's a way of life

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 02 Aug 2007, 01:31:46 pm
very true having your dream ripped away is sickening not just for haven all teams in our 2 leagues the play offs are something great to look forward to when the SL doors are shut it will be a nl1 mickey mouse cup just ain't the same.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 02 Aug 2007, 04:32:40 pm
imo, the super league have vertually been a franchise system since the day it was formed. What difference does it make how good your ground is, how large your attendances are, etc, etc?
Each ground has a safety certificate giving a ground capacity based upon the standard of the facilities, etc.
Clubs should be to made to run their finances based upon income and not going into debt.

How many clubs over the years have gone bust then reappeared with a slight name adjustment and debts cleared without being punished?
Starting afresh like that is not fair on the other clubs who have tried to control their own finances within their limits.

The likes of Keighley, Dewsbury and Hunslet have all won the right to appear in the top flight and been denied that right.
Those clubs have all gone backwards and it is only now that Dewsbury are staring to recover.