HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Dilema ?

Guest · 70 · 3348

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #30 on: 15 Aug 2007, 08:54:24 am
And where are you going to get your 5-6000 fans to keep your head above water.  Lets say there is a cumbrian team along side Haven and Town.  That means 2 games every week if you want to follow both.  If you follow the Cumbria team then crowds for a Haven team and Town would suffer even more than they do now. You for one have been highlighting the problems of people being able to afford to go to 1 game every 2 weeks so how will they afford to go to more games  We would maybe get 5-6000 if the team were winning every week but once they started to struggle there would be 2000 or so.  Will there be sponsors lining up to support all 3 teams to such a level that they can survive.  I think you would find a main sponsor of significant investment for the Cumbria team but Haven and Town could not demand the same money,  What about merchandise, would you buy a Haven home and away AND cumbria home and away top.  These are main streams of income and in my opinion Haven and Town would struggle and eventually fold.
Turn the clock back just 5 years and you would have found not one Haven fan that would have forecast the 2 grand finals, league leaders trophy or the cup final.  Like i said before i prefer to have a go on our own. In my opinion it is not a case of Cumbria versus Haven or Town it is a case of have a Cumbria team and ruin Haven and Town. Like i say Keith this is MY opinion not that of my paymasters as you put it. 

I'm with you on this one Champ, I can't see a merger working at all. A few of us had a similar discussion the other week in a pub and we ALL go to Haven games and there wasn't one of us who would travel through to Workington to support a merged/Cumbria team(call it whatever you want). The idea of one home at alternate venues is a no go also, you need people to get into a routine of going to the ground they perceive as HOME, I've got my place on the terraces where I go all the time and I'm disappointed if for some reason I dont get in that spot. Not everyone is like that but there is a hell of a lot. As for the crack about Haven and Town being feeder clubs for this SL team that has also got no chance, when are they going to play? The rugby league can't even organise a fixture list now in which Haven and Town dont have home games on the same day (how many times does that happen and how many people does that affect as they often go to both Haven and Town home games), imagine the mess it would create trying to sort out home games that didn't clash with a SL home game. I've been through thin times following Haven (this purple patch is a good as I've ever know, even the yo-yo years in the early 80s cant compare), I can remember it was only around 6 years ago under PC that we went down to Chorley and got beat and to be honest nobody was that shocked about it either, times have certainly improved over the past 6 years, and if people have the desire and the dream to try to achieve the best for Haven (and Town) then who is anyone to just say you've no chance get back into reality, let the people who want to try get on with it and wish them all the best. I personally think that we'd get stuffed most weeks, if by some chance we achieved SL status, but I will not shout anyone down for having the will and ambition of trying to get there. Shoot for the stars, if we only get half way we may still be over the moon.

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #31 on: 15 Aug 2007, 10:14:37 am
every team in the country has a local rival that they love to hate. its banter and the game wouldnt be the same without it. you idiots who want to know why we call town scum, well that is it. they are our local rivals that we love to hate. like saint hate wigan, like hull hate hull kr n so on. fancy asking these teams to merge with their local rivals lol. would be unheard of?? so why should we the best part timers in the land join with the bunch of no hopers at town.
u lot are unrealistic. its like asking the cat and the dog to play together nicely. its all a lovely idea guys but when u think about it properly then it dont really work.   

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
  • I am watching YOU marra ! Be Warned !
Reply #32 on: 15 Aug 2007, 11:38:31 am
every team in the country has a local rival that they love to hate. its banter and the game wouldnt be the same without it. you idiots who want to know why we call town scum, well that is it. they are our local rivals that we love to hate. like saint hate wigan, like hull hate hull kr n so on. fancy asking these teams to merge with their local rivals lol. would be unheard of?? so why should we the best part timers in the land join with the bunch of no hopers at town.
u lot are unrealistic. its like asking the cat and the dog to play together nicely. its all a lovely idea guys but when u think about it properly then it dont really work.   

I  am being unrealistic lol, you hit the nail on the head when you said best PART TIMERS thats all we could ever be?
The idiots are the ones with the pure hatered.In you guys cases it's not banter, it's propper hate!
Like I said is Sice, & Dick Huddart scum ? Get it through your lug holes and into that skull marra, If Haven & Town merged, it would not be called Whitehaven or Workington, It would be called Cumbria, So forget the word merger and just say the best players in the county, no matter where they come from, would be playing for Cumbria.
2 more things pal! I have a cat & dog they play togeather very nicely. Also I am No Idiot!

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #33 on: 15 Aug 2007, 11:49:53 am
Like ive said in another post lets just wait and see when the SL doors are shut to see what happens.
Its pointless arguing over decisions that will be the bods and before the doors are shut.

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
Reply #34 on: 15 Aug 2007, 11:56:10 am
And where are you going to get your 5-6000 fans to keep your head above water.  Lets say there is a cumbrian team along side Haven and Town.  That means 2 games every week if you want to follow both.  If you follow the Cumbria team then crowds for a Haven team and Town would suffer even more than they do now. You for one have been highlighting the problems of people being able to afford to go to 1 game every 2 weeks so how will they afford to go to more games  We would maybe get 5-6000 if the team were winning every week but once they started to struggle there would be 2000 or so.  Will there be sponsors lining up to support all 3 teams to such a level that they can survive.  I think you would find a main sponsor of significant investment for the Cumbria team but Haven and Town could not demand the same money,  What about merchandise, would you buy a Haven home and away AND cumbria home and away top.  These are main streams of income and in my opinion Haven and Town would struggle and eventually fold.
Turn the clock back just 5 years and you would have found not one Haven fan that would have forecast the 2 grand finals, league leaders trophy or the cup final.  Like i said before i prefer to have a go on our own. In my opinion it is not a case of Cumbria versus Haven or Town it is a case of have a Cumbria team and ruin Haven and Town. Like i say Keith this is MY opinion not that of my paymasters as you put it. 

I'm with you on this one Champ, I can't see a merger working at all. A few of us had a similar discussion the other week in a pub and we ALL go to Haven games and there wasn't one of us who would travel through to Workington to support a merged/Cumbria team(call it whatever you want). The idea of one home at alternate venues is a no go also, you need people to get into a routine of going to the ground they perceive as HOME, I've got my place on the terraces where I go all the time and I'm disappointed if for some reason I don't get in that spot. Not everyone is like that but there is a hell of a lot. As for the crack about Haven and Town being feeder clubs for this SL team that has also got no chance, when are they going to play? The rugby league can't even organise a fixture list now in which Haven and Town don't have home games on the same day (how many times does that happen and how many people does that affect as they often go to both Haven and Town home games), imagine the mess it would create trying to sort out home games that didn't clash with a SL home game. I've been through thin times following Haven (this purple patch is a good as I've ever know, even the yo-yo years in the early 80s cant compare), I can remember it was only around 6 years ago under PC that we went down to Chorley and got beat and to be honest nobody was that shocked about it either, times have certainly improved over the past 6 years, and if people have the desire and the dream to try to achieve the best for Haven (and Town) then who is anyone to just say you've no chance get back into reality, let the people who want to try get on with it and wish them all the best. I personally think that we'd get stuffed most weeks, if by some chance we achieved SL status, but I will not shout anyone down for having the will and ambition of trying to get there. Shoot for the stars, if we only get half way we may still be over the moon.

Well said marra, but what I am saying is, Will we ever get there or stay stuck in NL1. Only thing I am asking and never answered is How?
How do we get the minimum 5000 gate?, How do we get a SL ground? How do we get the players? How do we keep them full time without getting shot of most the current players? and the big one. Where do we get the money from to start all this off? I am just sick of going no where, I have been to most home games for 37 years and only seen us achieve 2005 league winners, thats all! How much longer do I have to wait? I am Sick to death of hearing all these dreams Haven have and never fullfilling them. How long we been told we will have a SL league ground next year. and guess what it's always some one else's fault. Never ever the clubs. They been saying the same thing for 5 years coming up now. So someone's not doing the job properly are they?

justonelilpoint

Reply #35 on: 15 Aug 2007, 01:07:37 pm
Thers only one answer id like...what happens when/If Cumbria loses its franchise  after a 3 year spell ?

Offline Fourfoot

• Academy Signing
Reply #36 on: 15 Aug 2007, 01:42:52 pm
I'm with Justlilpoint on this. It will be far easier to get rid of one "big" club than it is to get rid of the 3 present ones, I include Barrow in this because they are just as passionate about their teams as we are are about ours, and they're not to blame for the crap road network that cuts them off from us. As 3 clubs, we have survived whatever has been thrown at us. I truly believe that if Red Hall had their way, Cumbria would disappear from the RL map, but it's easier to dispose of 1 letter with a bunch of signatures than it is to dispose lots of letters with 1 signature.
Haven- It's a way of life

justonelilpoint

Reply #37 on: 15 Aug 2007, 02:06:08 pm
What im driving at is that without major sponsorship and /or a backer and a new stadium how is a Cumbrian S/L going to be successful ?  We out on a limb up here and lets face it we cant guarantee crowds to bring sucess.
So i'd just like to know what happens if /when a Cumbrian side dies on its back side through lack of any of the above  and loses its franchise and is dropped to the National league ,what then ? these same supporters who cry out for a S/l club would be first to jump ship once they struggling and leave the diehards who follow town and Haven through thick and thin to try sustain a cumbrian presecence in RL.
As ive said elswhere unless someone is coming forward with new and original plans and wanting to invest huge sums, its a none starter.Even Keith has said we need professional people in all aspects of a club off the field, so why do we need the 'powers that be' to come together ? would they be the new BOD...I doubt it !
If people want it that bad, set yourself a meeting up yourselves and see how far you can go ,Don't expect directors of the two clubs to do it for you they seem more than happy running Town and Haven now.

Monte2carlo

Reply #38 on: 15 Aug 2007, 04:46:59 pm
Jameater,

I also know who you are    ;) ;) So whats the big deal

Monte
« Last Edit: 15 Aug 2007, 04:49:59 pm by Monte2carlo »

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
Reply #39 on: 15 Aug 2007, 06:18:49 pm
Jameater,

I also know who you are    ;) ;) So whats the big deal

Monte

DO YOU REALLY , THATS CLEVER CONSIDERING I JUST TOLD YOU MY NAME DERRRR!!!!
IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ME PAL, SAY TO MY FACE. INSTEAD OF HAVING DIGS ON HERE. NONE OF THE I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, SOUNDS LIKE A THREAT THAT MARRA?

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #40 on: 15 Aug 2007, 07:47:39 pm
NOW NOW CHILDREN BEHAVE YOURSEVES
                        :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #41 on: 15 Aug 2007, 07:57:11 pm

i was just thinking something like that myself!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
Reply #42 on: 15 Aug 2007, 07:58:26 pm

Loll, I am to old for handbags now marra. Just some people make me think about swinging my handbag again & spitting my dummy out and having a issy fit. ;D ;) :P

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #43 on: 15 Aug 2007, 09:30:03 pm
One or two of you are saying "what if,? what if?" to every thing but turn your own question around.   Where will Haven's average 2,000 crowd be if in say 2 or 3 years time that are losing regularly and money is getting tight?     Waht if the attempt to try to get into SL bankrupts the club?     

It is easy to sit and think of reasons why it might go wrong but I'm sure the right people could find ways to get round all or many of the problems.    Can anyone honestly say that can see either Haven or Town getting a franchise for SL on there own.     The answer has got to be "No" and I think everyone knows that but are too blinkered to admit it at times.     

Oh, and justonelilpoint, I have followed Town for 59 years through thick and loads of thin.    I cry out for a SL for the future generations not necessarily myself, and I can assure you that if was going to jump ship I would have done it years ago and saved myself a lot of money and heartaches.

Ask all the Haven players or the Town players what they would like to see and I'm certain that the majority would love to see a new club aimed at SL.    Even quite a few directors at both clubs could possibly think this way although there are others too set in their ways to even think about it.

As for calling the fans of each of clubs "scum" well if that is the modern awy then I wonder where our game is heading.    Over many years I followed Haven and Town alternate weeks and I can assure you younger fans I never suffered any harm or contracted any diseases or whatever by doing so.     Many of you will desert Haven when the bad times come, as they surely will, and go back to soccer or where-ever, where that sort of name calling seems common place.    Or maybe I'm just getting old!!!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline African exile

• First Team Backup
Reply #44 on: 15 Aug 2007, 09:48:04 pm
As for calling the fans of each of clubs "scum" well if that is the modern awy then I wonder where our game is heading.    Over many years I followed Haven and Town alternate weeks and I can assure you younger fans I never suffered any harm or contracted any diseases or whatever by doing so.     Many of you will desert Haven when the bad times come, as they surely will, and go back to soccer or where-ever, where that sort of name calling seems common place.    Or maybe I'm just getting old!!!!!!
I've followed whitehaven 35 years Keith and i've always thought of them as scum as i am sure our jam eating compatriots up the street think of us take it as it is marra as a bit of banter and dont read too much into it.
If it's a girl they're naming her Sigourney after an actress, if it's a boy the 're naming him Rodney after Dave