HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

SL Door clanging shut

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
on: 19 Aug 2007, 06:00:35 pm
Radio Cumbria today tells us that SL will be extended by two additional cliubs clubs under franchies and these would probably be Celtic Crusaders and another French outfit. No relegation then.

NL1 and NL2 then combine into a single division with no promotion.

Probably only chance we have is to seek a combined Cumbria franchise
Opinions

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 19 Aug 2007, 06:17:06 pm
A Cumbria franchise is realistically the only option should we want Super League rugby here.  As we've seen, the crowds for the two West Cumbrian clubs individually are not enough to sustain full-time professional rugby, so the Super League dream for Whitehaven RL is more or less wishful thinking.

Unfortunately though, the idea of a combined Cumbria team is unpopular and so it won't go ahead, which is a shame as rugby league will continue to miss out on a pool of talented players from the area who could definitely cut it professionally.

As for the 14 teams in 2009, they are much more likely to be the current 12 teams along with Castleford and Widnes than to include a Welsh franchise and second French franchise.  That might change in 2012, but in 2009 it'll be much too soon for either of the proposed "outpost" clubs.

Monte2carlo

Reply #2 on: 19 Aug 2007, 07:05:53 pm
Let SL go away and ruin itself again.

What about the likes of
Wakefield
Salford
Hull KR
Widnes

Surely they won't be getting a franchise.

Monte

Monte

Offline JamEater

• Academy Star
  • I am watching YOU marra ! Be Warned !
Reply #3 on: 19 Aug 2007, 08:52:51 pm
Too many people make to much money out of Whitehaven where we are at now in NL1, why would they want us to move on?

Monte2carlo

Reply #4 on: 19 Aug 2007, 09:24:48 pm
Good point there.

the only way we can go forward is if we go full time and that will probably cost ?350-400k per year. We are as far as a semi pro team can go now.

Monte

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 19 Aug 2007, 09:32:57 pm
The non SL teams should maybe try and go their own way, possibly even back to winter rugby to attract SL fans out of season.
How about boycotting the Challenge Cup for a season to try and make a point?
SL doesn't realise how it needs the smaller clubs to nurture the players, etc.

Offline leytherjay

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:31:34 pm
heard today that SL may be 14 teams next season.......no-one relegated this year and 2 GF teams going up.

Monte2carlo

Reply #7 on: 19 Aug 2007, 10:34:27 pm
We should boycott the millenium magic weekend and hold our own version to show them greedy so so's that we won't roll over for them

It wiuld be great weekender

games been played friday nite
Sat
Sun

ideally in Blackpool for a good weekend phish up

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 19 Aug 2007, 11:30:12 pm
Say Salford come down this year and Widnes go up.  That means next season the last where a team can get promoted to SL it would probably be between Salford and Cas.     If the SL is then going to be extended to 14 there will be franchise packages from whichever of Cas or Salford don't get promoted as they are both building new stadiums, Celtic Crusaders and Toulouse.   It could be that Wakefield, who struggle to meet the crieria on their ground, could come down and all three of those clubs move into SL.   

Unless the RFL do something major to make the National Leagues more attractive to major sponsors then it will fade to RL Conference level of prominence.   
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #9 on: 20 Aug 2007, 10:28:36 am
The Cumbrian team we use for teams like NZ A team and tonga team should be used

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:17:29 pm
Thats true keith, we all know they want cas and widnes up.
nl1 and 2 will just go as one league

Offline Chemical-Chris

• Academy Star
  • Till I Die
Reply #11 on: 20 Aug 2007, 01:40:53 pm
Celtic are no way near ready for SL on or off the field

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 20 Aug 2007, 04:00:38 pm
Super league doesn't realise how much it depends on the smaller clubs.  I personally think that anyone who supports a club outside of super league should boycott international games and any other big games. 

Eddie Hemmings and the boys don't talk about rugby league anymore... they call it super league!!!!   That in itself shows they don't give a rats a**e about anybody outside the top league.

They need us more than they think. 

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 20 Aug 2007, 06:47:23 pm
In  fairness  to  Hemmings  I  think  he  is  1  who  still  wants  promotion/relegation  from  the  way  he  talks  about  it.  Other  regulars  Clarke, O'conner  and  Barry  Mac  are  of  the  same  opinion.  There's  only  Stevo  who's  in  favour  of  the  franchise.

As  for  our  chances  next  season,  they  would  greatly  improve  is  they  decided  to  promote  Cas  and  Widnes  and  make  SL  14  sides.  That  would  make  NL1  far  easier  for  us  in  what  could  be  our  last  shot  at  the  big  time

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2007, 07:36:56 pm
My opinion (for what it's worth) is that neither 'haven' nor 'town' would ever aspire to SL status on their own and a combined 'West Cumbria' team from the present two sets of players isn't an answer.

Barrow are too far away to figure in a Cumbria team.

A new West Cumbria team and a major sponsor stepping forward to work with the combined Whitehaven and Workington BOD's, pooling their finances for a new team and stadium would get the attention and support of SKy and SL...............and is the only logical way forward if we want a SL team in Cumbria.

As it is now Sky and SL choose to forget about this RL 'outpost' because there isn't the support, finances or willingness across the BOD's, sponsors and supporters to face reality and work with SL to establish a top class team in cumbria.

Whitehaven (team and directors) are presently doing a great job maintaining a high standard of RL in the area, but sadly it will never become SL AND someday soon, 'haven will start a downward slide as finances and players slip away ........ then it will be all too late to go the West Cumbria RL route as SL franchise will be all tied up.