HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Oldham v Celtic

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 30 Aug 2007, 07:02:52 pm
It'll  be  interesting  to  see  how  many  turn  up  for  tonights  game.  Oldham  are  charging  just  a  ?1  which  will  go  to  charity.  A  number  of  local  business's  are  sponsoring  the  game  so  Oldham  shouldn't  lose  out  financially

They  might  even  find  some  new  fans in  the  process ;)

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 30 Aug 2007, 10:06:08 pm
Just over 4300. A record for NL2. Oldham best side in the 1st half but Celtic ran away with it in the 2nd and deserved their win.

Most annoying bit came after the game. Hemmings could hardly contain himself at the thought of a SL side in Wales and clearly they'll get alot of help off the field. With 3 Welsh, 5 English and the rest Aussies how do they keep within the salary cap which is less than an NL1 team. I bet the RFL don't investigate them >:(

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2007, 10:57:29 pm
Its all about the hidden agenda that SL have. A SL team in a heartland like Cumbria is not wanted, they want a Welsh team and that is what they may well get when the great franchise system arrives  :-\

Offline Rob_Haven

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 31 Aug 2007, 12:11:36 am
how the hell is harold shipman there manager thats what i want to know?
ANCIENT AND LOYAL

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:37:30 am
how the hell is harold shipman there manager thats what i want to know?

:D :D :D

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:26:01 pm

Most annoying bit came after the game. Hemmings could hardly contain himself at the thought of a SL side in Wales and clearly they'll get alot of help off the field. With 3 Welsh, 5 English and the rest Aussies how do they keep within the salary cap which is less than an NL1 team. I bet the RFL don't investigate them >:(

yeah that got on my nerves tony rae saying about a team from wales then a team from the "heartland" of rugby then eddie saying is cumbria in the heartland what about a franchise up there then phil clarke comes out with "i dont think a bid has been put forward by a cumbrian team" and "if the RFL want a franchise in wales then they should put as much money as possible into it as celtic crusaders cannot do it alone". What about putting money into it up here as whitehaven workington and barrow cannot do it alone. They have thrown money at London to try and keep them going, they have brought a french team straight into super league and told them "dont worry about relegation you cannot go down for 3 seasons" and then the season they can go down there is going to be no relegation, they have allowed celtic to have alot more overseas players than any other national league team so they were always going to get promoted now they are saying about giving them as much money as possible to help them with a franchise. What about cumbria? we have had no money off the rugby league to get a franchise even though we have some of the most talanted players in the country when haven nearly went out of business the rugby league didnt step in but when london broncos were 3 million in debt they wiped it clean and changed the name to harlequins so it was like they had never been in debt and last of all i want to know what the RFL plan to do with the national leagues after promoton relegation is gone
haven till i die

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 31 Aug 2007, 02:55:47 pm
you are 100% correct. how are other teams meant to compete with the likes of celtic when they are playing to a diff set of rules? i love rugby league but it is corrupt and getting worse.im afraid
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline rdc

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2007, 03:09:49 pm
The population and economy up here isn't big enough to support a competitive Super League team, it's as simple as that.  You can whinge all you want about London or Celtic, but the remains that these two places are far more financially-viable locations for a Super League outfit than West Cumbria will ever be.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:06:35 pm
how is london a more financially viable option what crowds are they getting? wales is a rugby UNION country rugby league is arguably the biggest sport in cumbria i think if we had a super league club the crowds would be there we get 5-6 thousand when a super league club comes up and 4-5 thousand when its a big league/play off game and i know people will say what about when we get hammered every week crowds will drop and yes they will but if we have a franchise then it wont matter too much as we will have 3 years to develop a team to compete in super league instead of just a few months like promoted teams have now
haven till i die

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:18:26 pm
The population and economy up here isn't big enough to support a competitive Super League team, it's as simple as that.  You can whinge all you want about London or Celtic, but the remains that these two places are far more financially-viable locations for a Super League outfit than West Cumbria will ever be.
ABSOLUTE CODS WALLOP
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2007, 04:36:46 pm
There will never be an acceptable licence for SL coming to Cumbria UNTIL ouir two clubs get their heads together and try to sort out some sort of system like the Catalans have in France.   Enough people within the game and from everywhere except in the two towns keep telling us this but still we would rather dig our heels in and call each other jameaters or whatever.

More people will realise this after next season when it finally dawns that there is no more promotion and relegation.   SL will be 14 teams strong and each of them will be getting at least ?1 million per year from Sky for 3 years and yet some are expecting our two clubs to go it alone and compete with that to get a licence!!!      After 3 years of uninterupted SL those 14 teams should be well and truly settled and it would take one mighty bid to shift them.    They have more or less formed a SL cartel which will be very hard to break in to unless your team happens to come from Toulouse or Barcelona.

I tell you Leicester RU and Wasps RU have more chance of getting into SL than Haven or Town on their own.    It's time to smell the coffee.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 31 Aug 2007, 06:39:16 pm
by merging does that mean we have lots of money and a new ground and top players to compete with sl teams answer NO weres all that coming from its you who needs to smell the coffee
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 31 Aug 2007, 07:39:11 pm
i dont think kieth for 1 minute suggested in his last post that we should merge (i dont know if that is what he wants) but a CUMBRIA team is looking like the only way of super league being played up here on a competative level now that doesnt mean a merger it means a new team with haven and town still existing though i think if that happens then haven and town will soon die out
haven till i die

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 31 Aug 2007, 11:26:25 pm
It  would  be  a  shame  for  either  club  to  lose  its  identity  but  1  idea  I  would  support  is  for  a  Cumbrian  team  playing  say  at  Lillyhall  and  to  put  together  a  good  enough  franchise  package  to  gain  SL  access.

I  would  still  keep  Haven  and  Town  in  the  NL  and  use  them  as  feeder  clubs.  You  could  sign  up  the  best  local  talent  and  if  their  good  enough  they  could  then  make  the  step  up.  Only  slight  downside  would  been  finding  enough  cash  to  support  2  teams  unless  you  could  put  together  an  affordable  season  ticket  to  watch  both  sides.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 01 Sep 2007, 11:56:30 am
i think if a new SL team was made and the ground say at lillyhall would be the finish of both Haven and Town and how does everyone know this new club would get the supporters they need.
Its going to be hard enough for both teams when the doors shut.
For me going to watch whitehaven and standing in the same area having a beer or two with then lads just wouldn't be the same i know i wouldn't bother going to watch this new club and team play but thats just my opinion don't know how everyone else is.
The whole dream of this league were in is promotion and rel its something to play for and yet again its been ruined.