HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Oldham v Celtic

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #15 on: 01 Sep 2007, 12:01:54 pm

The whole dream of this league were in is promotion and rel its something to play for and yet again its been ruined.

Correct  Marra  and  its  all  down  to  the  RFL  &   SKY  trying  to  get  sides  into  SL  either  via  the  back  door  or  extra  privilidges  just  so  they  can  sell  more  Skysports  subscriptions.

Its  sad  really  because  it  doesn't  happen  in  other  major  sports  SKY  feature.  If  they  tinkered  with  Football  like  they  do  our  great  sport  there  would  be  a  mutiny. >:(

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #16 on: 01 Sep 2007, 12:33:50 pm
Yer true just goes  to show you how easy it is to tamper with rugby league like to see someone try it with the premiership 

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #17 on: 01 Sep 2007, 01:01:30 pm
i think if a new SL team was made and the ground say at lillyhall would be the finish of both Haven and Town and how does everyone know this new club would get the supporters they need.
Its going to be hard enough for both teams when the doors shut.
For me going to watch whitehaven and standing in the same area having a beer or two with then lads just wouldn't be the same i know i wouldn't bother going to watch this new club and team play but thats just my opinion don't know how everyone else is.
The whole dream of this league were in is promotion and rel its something to play for and yet again its been ruined.

a new cumbria team in super league would definatly get the crowds as people would go to see the big teams saints wigan leeds bradford etc. I would hate for haven to lose its identity but if its a choice of not watching rugby (if haven did stop completely) or watching a cumbrian team in super league i know which 1 i would choose. promotion relegation is going and this league will become a joke we might aswel get used to that so why not try and get a team in super league so we can enjoy high class rugby league
haven till i die

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #18 on: 01 Sep 2007, 02:29:38 pm
by merging does that mean we have lots of money and a new ground and top players to compete with sl teams answer NO weres all that coming from its you who needs to smell the coffee

Come on choccy.   Do you not think that after following Town for 59 years I don't have as much blue and white running through my body as you have chocolate, blue and gold?   Where have I ever said the two current clubs should MERGE?   Come on, don't let all those colours cloud your judgement.

You ask where is the money going to come from and the top players but if you turn that around where will Haven get all their money from and top players?    Stop looking for excuses and try to look at things in a positive mind.     Our area will almost certainly be once again the nuclear power generating area of Britain and there will be lots of sweeteners available from some large multi national companies, so I could se quite a few millions around from that source and then of course the government will have to improve the roads infrastructure making the area more accessible for other supporting industries.

Where did Catalans get all their top players?    Of course we would need the RFL and SL to give us development status with no number on our quota but unless there is a will from everyone to at least have a go then the RFL and SL will just let us paddle our own canoe for ever more.    The Catalans team in SL represents a region in France not one particular town and all the other RL teams in that part of France are used as feeder teams.   Why wouldn't that work here if we all wanted it to instead of knocking the idea?
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline chocbluegold

• Haven Legend
Reply #19 on: 01 Sep 2007, 02:49:29 pm
by this cumbria team we would lose our identities as individual teams whitehaven and workington would almost certainly die out and like football teams it would be a team from other countries let alone countys why dont we all just book coaches and go and watch sl elsewhere.                            hey thats just my view
our players couldnt get in the town team you,ve gotta be kidding.theres plenty town players i hope dont wear the chocbluegold.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #20 on: 01 Sep 2007, 06:35:36 pm
by this cumbria team we would lose our identities as individual teams whitehaven and workington would almost certainly die out and like football teams it would be a team from other countries let alone countys why dont we all just book coaches and go and watch sl elsewhere.                            hey thats just my view

The point is what sort of standing in the game would Haven and Town have after next season?   Both our teams could be severely on the decline with no future hope of ever getting to the top and people start to look for other things to spend their money on.   Every club in every sport MUST have ambitions to reach the top of their game or else why bother, but if that hope, that chance is taken away through no fault of the club then is it not better to look for another alternative rather than dig heels in, in the hope that things might change in the future.    And that's just my view.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 04 Sep 2007, 12:32:49 am
Rugby League, as a true sport, has got worse ever since Sky took over.
There's far too much politics rather than ability in it.

The whole thing with British sport has always been about getting to the top by starting at the bottom and working your way up.
Since the start of Sky's involvement, this has been denied to Dewsbury, Hunslet and Keighley and, from next year, will be denied to everyone else outside of the top level.
Unfortunately, Rugby League will end up on the scrap heap and the British Sporting public will be the worse for it.
The only way forward for non super league would be to go it alone back in to winter and stop the SL clubs playing in the Challenge Cup.

That's just my view.