HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Form

Guest · 7 · 823

ANZAC

on: 08 Sep 2007, 03:54:11 pm
Looking at the last 13 Games we have only won 6.  It is a pretty poor run of form and not that of a team who are going to challenge in the playoff this year.  We have lost three homes games in the league this year which is unusual for us.

I think we are at a cross roads over the next twelve months. 

(1) Do we get a new coach , is there someone better we can attract up here or is continuity more importent?

(2) Who do we retain in the current squad and who do we let go?

These are huge decisions for the board.  The wrong choises and we could very well end up dropping down the division.  The last three years we have been in the top three for the first time in four years we will finish in fourth.  We cant afford to slip any futher down this league.

Other teams are getting stronger.  Fax are building well Dewsbuy have recruited four from Wkaefield for next year Catic the March twins and Field all very good players.  Leigh have signed several for next year Wainwright will be very good in this league.  Slaford will be strong and we will be probably facing Widnes again next year.  ( I think Cas will go up)

My own view is that Rotherham will probably end up staying.  I think the board will give him the benefit of the doubt and plump for continuity.  To get another coach will take time and we would need to be sure we were getting someone better which of course is no guarntee...better the devil you know.

Playing wise we have lost Trindall Seeds and Lester, looks like Maidens going to Leigh and I have a funny feeling Duffy may end up going ..(although I hope not)

Ideally we need another half back, two Props and good centre and a winger to be competitiive.

Half backs - I would look overseas they are much more higher quality than we can get in the UK.  Hermania, Ben Black, Obst,  Penny they seem plentiful down under.

Props - again Tanga toa would be good but he is quota, Styles at Leigh is rec Karl Edmundson has been mentioned non quota playing in the bartercard cup.  The thing with the Kiwis is most of the better ones have been snapped up by NRL you don't get the undiscoved gems you used to from New Zealand like watson Shelford Lester Joe and fats...I would wonder about the quality of a 27 year old who had never played outside Batercard cup level.  Workington have had two or three "top" bartercard cup player who have struggled with attitude and form in NL2.  Warrington have released Chris Liekhove, Azue at KR may also be available.  Even Summers at Widnes would be a disaster if we signed a second quality prop.

Wings - The guy we should go for is Byron Ford at KR or Anrea Baur of same club

Centres - We will have the two MCavoys, Jackson and Elibeck so there are enough bodies there I just worry with those four we will lack some experience and guile.   Again a good young aussie who has been well coached with a couple of first grade games under his belt similar to Luke Dyer or Damian Blanch when they came over.

Summary

Rotherham to stay.

OUT : Trindall, Lester, Seeds, Maiden and poss Duffy (hope not)

IN:  Two Props, Half back (even if Duffy stays) Centre and a wing   

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 08 Sep 2007, 04:06:58 pm
Lester has already gone another out has to be banister total waste of space.

popularsider

Reply #2 on: 08 Sep 2007, 04:16:08 pm
bannister isnt here do you mean baldwin? id welcome ste bannister back with open arms, id try and sign ben black he is playing for burleigh bears in australia

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 08 Sep 2007, 10:57:13 pm
pretty much agree anzac. weather rotherham stays or not needs desiding fast as cant build next years side till we no hu in charge. herd rumors of couple of aussie halfbacks that will be looked at.
defo gna need a winger to replace maden n a center for seeds, apart from duffy these our prob our best 2 backs this season n we losin them. a backrow/center would be good.
celtic crusaders  salford, cas or widnes, all full time next year, fax maybe 2 and liegh looking strong. we really gna have do something special

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 09 Sep 2007, 09:56:23 am
i baldwin i ment.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 09 Sep 2007, 09:58:36 am
id say maca will go center he,s just aint match fit at the mo. they should give craig a run out too

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 09 Sep 2007, 07:22:49 pm
Looking at the last 13 Games we have only won 6.  It is a pretty poor run of form and not that of a team who are going to challenge in the playoff this year.  We have lost three homes games in the league this year which is unusual for us.

I think we are at a cross roads over the next twelve months. 

(1) Do we get a new coach , is there someone better we can attract up here or is continuity more importent?

(2) Who do we retain in the current squad and who do we let go?

These are huge decisions for the board.  The wrong choises and we could very well end up dropping down the division.  The last three years we have been in the top three for the first time in four years we will finish in fourth.  We cant afford to slip any futher down this league.

Other teams are getting stronger.  Fax are building well Dewsbuy have recruited four from Wkaefield for next year Catic the March twins and Field all very good players.  Leigh have signed several for next year Wainwright will be very good in this league.  Slaford will be strong and we will be probably facing Widnes again next year.  ( I think Cas will go up)

My own view is that Rotherham will probably end up staying.  I think the board will give him the benefit of the doubt and plump for continuity.  To get another coach will take time and we would need to be sure we were getting someone better which of course is no guarntee...better the devil you know.

Playing wise we have lost Trindall Seeds and Lester, looks like Maidens going to Leigh and I have a funny feeling Duffy may end up going ..(although I hope not)

Ideally we need another half back, two Props and good centre and a winger to be competitiive.

Half backs - I would look overseas they are much more higher quality than we can get in the UK.  Hermania, Ben Black, Obst,  Penny they seem plentiful down under.

Props - again Tanga toa would be good but he is quota, Styles at Leigh is rec Karl Edmundson has been mentioned non quota playing in the bartercard cup.  The thing with the Kiwis is most of the better ones have been snapped up by NRL you don't get the undiscoved gems you used to from New Zealand like watson Shelford Lester Joe and fats...I would wonder about the quality of a 27 year old who had never played outside Batercard cup level.  Workington have had two or three "top" bartercard cup player who have struggled with attitude and form in NL2.  Warrington have released Chris Liekhove, Azue at KR may also be available.  Even Summers at Widnes would be a disaster if we signed a second quality prop.

Wings - The guy we should go for is Byron Ford at KR or Anrea Baur of same club

Centres - We will have the two MCavoys, Jackson and Elibeck so there are enough bodies there I just worry with those four we will lack some experience and guile.   Again a good young aussie who has been well coached with a couple of first grade games under his belt similar to Luke Dyer or Damian Blanch when they came over.

Summary

Rotherham to stay.

OUT : Trindall, Lester, Seeds, Maiden and poss Duffy (hope not)

IN:  Two Props, Half back (even if Duffy stays) Centre and a wing   

good post, however can i just clarify one point?

the last 3 years we have not been in the top 3 and will in fact finish 4th for the second season running

ditherham has never had us finish higher than FOURTH!!

our actual finishes for 2004, 2005, 2006, and 2007 are as below :

Pos                                 Plyd         W          D          L             F           A          Diff       Pts

2        Whitehaven              18          14         0           4          552         312         240       28           

1           Whitehaven          18          16         0            2           648        307        341        32

4           Whitehaven          18          12         1            5           516        408        108        25

4           Whitehaven         18           11         0            7           474        342         132      37
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good