HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

We must look overseas for success

Guest · 2 · 559

ANZAC

on: 15 Sep 2007, 04:37:18 pm
Notwithstanding who the coach is next year i think the only way we are going to be competitive in the top three is by recruiting from overseas.

Bt that I mean players who will live and train locally.   Assuming Duffy Maiden and Jackson stay...whihc i would be more than happy if they did i think that is enough travelling players.

If we can add 4-6 blokes from AUS / NZ who move to the area then we could have a chance of success.  That of course includes current Aus / NZ playing in the UK who move to west Cumbria.

I do not see a future in having 7 -8 blokes travellling up from Lans / Yourks once a week to train.  I think we can cope with three but any more just dosent work.

I know we need English / EU passport holders but they are out there Dyer / lennon / Blanch are all blokes who would't get within a yard of 1st grade but are English passport holders and will shine in NL1.  Tandy is another example/ Styles at Leigh. 

The BOD just have to get their finger out and get a knowledgeable agent down under to come up with a lsit of EU passport holders looking for a chance in England They can do theri homework form there.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 16 Sep 2007, 12:37:09 pm
i agree i have said for a while we have too many travellers

the year we won the league we had 1 traveller nanyn

so we either recruit over seas and they live in the town like obst, penny, tandy,summers

or we do a fletch and bring them up here with the promise of employment or a house etc

it cant be easy for rotherham

tuesday training and no travelling players (5 missing straight away), some local players on the wrong shift(3 or 4 missing)

thursday travellers come up but again locals missing on the wrong shift

so saturday is really the only time you get anything like a full squad training together not ideal at all(DR did sign travellers so some of this was his own making)

also going to away games with 5 or 6 travellers missing off the bus not much chance for team bonding or review of the opposition

all in all not and ideal situation

get non locals either from overseas or m62 to move here and live in the town this in its self encourages a better attitude

THE MULLET IS BACK