HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

scrap the u21

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #15 on: 06 Aug 2007, 09:52:25 am
you have to have an U21's side, its in the rfl rules,

in a few years time there will be neither an U21's side nor a NL side outside of SL, when the franchise system is up and running, and the likes of stevo get their way and there is no more promotion and relagation all the NL clubs will eventually fold.

i wonder if stevo and his buddies have given a thought as to where all the new players are going to come from?

there are very few amateurs playing who could go straight into a SL team and not look out of place, so they need to gain experience from somewhere!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 06 Aug 2007, 01:00:03 pm
when they played fax 2 weeks ago they had 13 or 14 players and had to play the conditioner and clayton sutton DR said derrie and teare werent playing for the 21's as they had the week off and then when they had a full squad to pick from against swinton he put 3 1st team players in
« Last Edit: 07 Aug 2007, 12:09:41 pm by haven lad 06 »
haven till i die

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #17 on: 06 Aug 2007, 02:24:24 pm
It's a must to have an U21s team.
Even if we only get a couple who get near the first team each year, then it is doing its job

Offline cumbria 1

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 06 Aug 2007, 06:43:59 pm
your right you do need an acadamy side but with out they expence that money could go towards a new stand because they acadamy must cost 45 k a year or evan more . Craig macavoy is a good player but he is 24year old benson will be 22 soon its oright sayin these lads are the future but they  need to be getting games and i cant see mcavoy getting in before his brother seeds or derry and benson wont shift broad bent the same goes for lebbon all three are first team material but i cant see them waiting intil their midtwenties to be a first team regular. I dont think bamber will be a first team regular because they will always get a half back with experience and he needs to improve alot and bulk up

Offline DELL

• Academy Signing
Reply #19 on: 06 Aug 2007, 10:13:11 pm
your right you do need an acadamy side but with out they expence that money could go towards a new stand because they acadamy must cost 45 k a year or evan more . Craig macavoy is a good player but he is 24year old benson will be 22 soon its oright sayin these lads are the future but they  need to be getting games and i cant see mcavoy getting in before his brother seeds or derry and benson wont shift broad bent the same goes for lebbon all three are first team material but i cant see them waiting intil their midtwenties to be a first team regular. I dont think bamber will be a first team regular because they will always get a half back with experience and he needs to improve alot and bulk up

I apologise for saying this mate but you really are talking absolute rubbish.

You stated earlier they are a poor side, do you realise Haven 21's are basically an under 21 team with very rarely a couple of overage players.
They are playing sides like Halifax who fielded 6 to 8 lads who have a lot of 1st team experience and are pushing Martin Hall for a 1st team place.
They played Castleford who played players with NRL experience.
Haven sent teams with 13 and 14 players made up with the conditioner and his mate. And those lads I'm sure will have given 100%.

Personally I think you owe them lads an apology, or put a pair of boots on make the numbers up and see what it's like for young professionally inexperienced players to be sent to Halifax and Cas to face good experienced professional players.

If you want to ask a question on the teams performance post a question to the coaches.

popularsider

Reply #20 on: 06 Aug 2007, 10:14:40 pm
well said DELL, stephen fox and chris smith are only 17 years old and both were only playing the likes of hensingham and maryport u16s two seasons ago give them a break

Offline cumbria 1

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 06 Aug 2007, 10:42:43 pm
Its not my fault they acadamy strugle to get a team away but not at home surely thats bad management but with so many players packing in this year i mean farmer was one of the players in the team that could play . you say about chris smith been 17 i thought you wanted him in the first team next year he'l never get in before matty or sice for a long time

popularsider

Reply #22 on: 06 Aug 2007, 10:45:00 pm
chris is an excellent 3rd choice hooker to have at the club and is one for the future he can also cover scrum half

Online HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #23 on: 07 Aug 2007, 09:14:08 am
we have at least 3 hookers before him anyways

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #24 on: 07 Aug 2007, 09:42:20 am
An u-21 team is not only a requirement of the RFL, but essential for the club. As has been expressed previously, due to our location we don't have the luxury of attracting the M6/M61/M62 corridor players who change teams every 12 months, plus the travelling players whom we do have don't always attend midweek training.

This means that game plans cannot be fully executed and the bonding is not used to its full advantage.

Personally, I would not recruit travelling players. We are better to have local lads whom can attend all training sessions, intermingled with players like Fletcher who has relocated to the area and overseas players who live in the area i.e. Trindall.

If funds allowed, I would also like to see Haven with an u-18 team as well, so players like Clayton Sutton, Gregg McNally, Michael Lithgow and Adam Ramsden who are already signed on could get some gametime as they are too young to play for the u-21s. This would also give us the opportunity to sign up players such as Darren Seeds, James Donaldson, Michael Ramsden, Max Wiper & Patrick Vaughan. No point in signing a load of 16 & 17 yr olds at the moment as they can't play for the club.

popularsider

Reply #25 on: 07 Aug 2007, 11:17:34 am
the lads like mcnally etc all go back to there amatuer clubs and play in a national league wich is of a high standard

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #26 on: 07 Jan 2008, 03:26:14 pm
this discussion seems stupid now after that town match and every1 has seen what our accadamy has produced.  mind u it was a stupid argument at the time as well