Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
on: 04 Dec 2007, 04:29:59 pm
13th january vs barrow

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 04 Dec 2007, 06:29:37 pm
dont like this idea!!

fair enough play town because its for a memorial trophy for ike southward, but i dont think a "friendly" against another cumbrian team is a good idea, too many "scores to settle"

would have been better tryin to arrange a game against another club, perhaps oldham? or wakefield?

thats my view anyway!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline fluffy

• First Team Backup
  • Haven in the pink :P ^^
Reply #2 on: 04 Dec 2007, 07:11:04 pm
is it at home or away ?
We've got this place rocking now girls !!! ;)

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 04 Dec 2007, 08:14:47 pm
I think we should have got friendlies against teams that will test us or give us a game that we could raise our game for. I don't know the ins or outs of what goes on, but I would Rather play a SL team and get beat than take part in a potentially disastrous local derby. What do we gain from playing Town or Barrow. If we win everyone says we should have done so but by more points and if we lose, lets not go their or ANZAC and his followers will be getting far too excited (we all know what would happen!). Local friendlies are no win situations!!!

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 04 Dec 2007, 08:29:55 pm
home

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 05 Dec 2007, 09:22:23 am
I think we should have got friendlies against teams that will test us or give us a game that we could raise our game for. I don't know the ins or outs of what goes on, but I would Rather play a SL team and get beat than take part in a potentially disastrous local derby. What do we gain from playing Town or Barrow. If we win everyone says we should have done so but by more points and if we lose, lets not go their or ANZAC and his followers will be getting far too excited (we all know what would happen!). Local friendlies are no win situations!!!

I would think we tend to have 'local' friendlies to keep travelling costs etc to a minimum. The club will pay a lot on buses, food, general away day expenses throughout the season. This may influence a lot of other teams hence why both us and Town struggle to attract anyone up here for any warm up matches pre-season. Why should teams from Lancashire and Yorshire spend hundreds on bus fares and whatever else when they can play someone who's more or less on they're doorstep compared to travelling up here in the depths of winter. You've only got to look at the Fax board and how much they're complaining about playing is in the rail cup, could you imagine what they would say if it had been arranged for a friendly? I would love to see SL teams up here in friendlies but I dont think it will happen on a regular basis, the occasional one of maybe, how long did the idea of SL teams having to play against NL teams in a friendly last? One season was it and then that was quickly and quietly thrown out. I'm in agreement about not wanting to play the same teams every year but I dont think we're left with many other options.

Offline champ

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 05 Dec 2007, 01:21:08 pm
The club have tried to arrange games against better opposition but there were no takers.  London said it was too far, Hull and Leeds could not fit it in.  Its easier for other clubs in the Yorkshire and Lancs area to travel to each other.  Another downside to our location.