HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

OK Lets Debate in True Democratic style

justonelilpoint

Reply #15 on: 22 Sep 2007, 08:47:45 pm
Over  60% is a big majority of fans,
But more to point if it was to be  cross sample vote  of  all Haven fans, then it would equate to 1200 people thinking its right  decision !

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2007, 10:59:42 am
Lets consider some things while voting e.g 1 try from making 3rd place ( no bonus point at home to Leigh )
Long term injuries, aging squad, etc

As i predicted more supporters agree that it is wrong to sack dave 
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:06:22 am
So it seems like all us knowledgable Kells End Internationals are in agreement  DR had overstayed his welcome,allbeit that there is some question of the timing of his sacking. This echoes the converstion which was unanimous throughout the season both on the terraces and on the exit road out of the ground ( when the experts analyse what went wrong). So the question is why did it come as such a surprise to those fine readers and commentators of our beloved game John Cox and Alan Irvine.

It has been a bold move to sack a coach who on paper doesn't seem to have done too bad. The next brave decision will be to acknowledge that the team needs a drastic overhaul and we must say goodbye to older players who have been good servants but just can't perform consistently at this level of intensity. I think Aaron Lester was the best hooker I have seen at Whitehaven but he had gone past his sell-by date and his performances became mediocre and it was right to drop him. When i first saw Gary Broadbent as a kid playing for salford I thought he was class and i still do defensively. There is no doubting his 100% commitment but I'm sorry to say when he links up in the centre he kills every attacking move stone dead. David Seeds the clubs record try scorer has had a great career. His sidestep caused mayhem with opposing centres in his younger days combined with his explosive accelaration Whitehaven were very lucky to hang on to this class centre. But laterly although his tackling is still as agrssive as ever he is inclined to try that one dummy too often which means that his flying winger Calvin doesn't receive fast ball and isn't given chance to show his potential and does'nt receive the ball with that 1/2 second advantage. Lee Roy has had a great season after a quiet one last year but lets face it he is also getting old. The bull, well tackling machine he might be but he couldn't burst his way out of a paper bag. Speaking of not being able to burstout of a paper bag reminds me of Simon Baldwin. I read on this website he was getting ?700 a game. Please tell me this isn't true.Howard has also been a great servant to the club but he also is one of our senior staesman and can't have long left . I honestly beleive we need a major overhaul and we could easily get our fingers burnt as we experiment. The alternative is we we stay as we are and be remembered as the nearly men.

I had an interesting conversation with a member of the board 2 yers ago. I said what motivation is there for our team to play their best  and secure promotion to superleague when realistically most of them will be playing themselves out of a job. He siad he thought that most of our team would be retained and we could probably get by with 2 or 3 new signings. I hope that man has now realised that it was never going to happen. Probably not!

Great post some common sense but 1 question. Why sack the coach, the squad he has at his disposal is an old squad as you ave said. Also don't assume that the players we have signed are all on the say-so of the coach. Some of the directors seem to think that theyknow better about which players, coaches we should sign.
The choice should have been to give Dave the money to 'bolster' the squad then see how he gets on. Only then could we compare him to Steve and Paul Cullen.

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:16:34 am
Lets consider some things while voting e.g 1 try from making 3rd place ( no bonus point at home to Leigh )
Long term injuries, aging squad, etc

As i predicted more supporters agree that it is wrong to sack dave  than was predicted.

ANZAC

Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:17:06 am
Its very good point the vast majority of players at haven are recruited by our "experts" on the BOD

There collective years of playing rugby League make them very astute judges.   I suspect baldwin was teh BOD choice and certainly any wages he is paid is down to them.

Similarly next years squad will be BOD assembeld so don't come on here killing the coach when he has a less than 75% win ratio. The BOD will have chosen him and the players he has.

But hey they know what they are doing and don't  you dare question them.

justonelilpoint

Reply #20 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:41:22 am
Still isnt a majority though is it Neil

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #21 on: 23 Sep 2007, 02:06:06 pm
Still isnt a majority though is it Neil
True but it is much easier to to say, sack the coach than to give thought to his record and the assets available to him.

You can only compare on a level playing field
75% win ratio is much better than Paul Cullen enjoyed and only marginally worse then Steve Mac.
The logic doesn't add up. Do we wnat to win more games than lose, or do we want to play attractive rugby and not progress ( remember Newcastle United in 1998/99 season, superb footbal but no progress.
Just a view

justonelilpoint

Reply #22 on: 23 Sep 2007, 03:08:54 pm
Its finding the balance isnt it....Got to be entertained these days for your ?12

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #23 on: 24 Sep 2007, 10:44:09 am
well said marra the catalan game we played up to them and gave a game to watch we need more games like we have a fire to win not just going threw the motions lets get some good players signed and fire into next season