HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

we are now in transition

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:37:13 pm
whom so ever becomes the new coach/payer coach at whitehaven for next season, all fans have to realise that next season we will be in transition after major reconstructive surgery.

the new guy has to come in and work with, to say the least, average players for the most. he may have fetched a few with him to bolster the squad, but essentially all he has to work with is the likes of derry eilbeck, scott teare, a one trick pony in craig calvert, and a few more "paid amateurs".

he will have to raise the game structure, re train the players in how to play rugby as that has been driven out of them in the past 2 seasons.

all this whilst trying to win over the fans who demand success immediately!

its going to be a hard job for whoever gets it, but hopefully, at least to start with, he will get the full support of the fans!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:46:03 pm
Check your PM big mac
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:49:03 pm
whom so ever becomes the new coach/payer coach at whitehaven for next season, all fans have to realise that next season we will be in transition after major reconstructive surgery.

the new guy has to come in and work with, to say the least, average players for the most. he may have fetched a few with him to bolster the squad, but essentially all he has to work with is the likes of derry eilbeck, scott teare, a one trick pony in craig calvert, and a few more "paid amateurs".

he will have to raise the game structure, re train the players in how to play rugby as that has been driven out of them in the past 2 seasons.

all this whilst trying to win over the fans who demand success immediately!

its going to be a hard job for whoever gets it, but hopefully, at least to start with, he will get the full support of the fans!

If next season is a transition year Big Mac what will be the guage for success, with no P & R after next season????
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:56:41 pm
thats the tough call keith

personally i  believe, and i have posted FACTS to prove it, but  over the 2 season DITHERHAM was in charge, we have gone backwards, forget the NRC final, that was down to the luck of the draw, our league position has gone down, our attack has gone backwards, our defence has gone to pot, and this from the guy who came in and said we lost 2 GF's cause we couldnt TACKLE!!!, but he was going to sort that out.
i'm still waiting for that one to happen!!

god bless you lot for wanting to take him off our hands, the guy is clueless, and remember his quote about Tarzan and Jane? well in the coaching world i do believe you have just gotten yourself the other famous one from the jungle........bloody CHEETAH! ;)
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2007, 10:05:54 pm
All we need now is for you to get Stokes as your coach, eh!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2007, 10:07:03 pm
WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT KEITH :o :o :o
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 23 Sep 2007, 10:44:57 pm
Attracting a coach will be the hard part. It is going to cost a lot more money to entice a quality coach now.

ANZAC

Reply #7 on: 23 Sep 2007, 11:10:46 pm
S o pupetmaster accepting the factthat we won 75% of our games if the new coach achieves a less than 75 % win ratio will you be for or against him?

Interested to know....becasue i will bet my shoes the next guy will not achieve what Rotherham has>

justonelilpoint

Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:30:29 am
Seems some fans have next man condemned already before he's even been selected.Its like if he doesnt get a 75% win rate next years he should be out !
Every club goes through cycles and its unfair to compare anyones win rate against Paul Cullen who dragged this club up of its knees back in 2001.
Paul did much more for the club, He made  professional off the field and layed foundations for the future years which Steve Mac built on.To expect him come in firsts eason after the disaster thatw as Tamati and win most of his games was unfair.
Alex Ferguson says he's built about 4 teams in years he's been there and we all know we have to start re-building again at Whitehaven next season.
Providing fans can see what the coach is trying to achieve, keeps us well out of relegation trouble ,Plays some good attacking rugby that fans enjoy and dont mind paying their ?12 for , trys to bring the youngsters on bit faster then im sure majority will be happy.We need to re-build for future years now and probably think about franchises now.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2007, 10:17:14 am
its not all about % this % that this season our rugby ain't been good to watch our attack has been rubbish we need a coach that can teach the lads how to attack and maintain the rugby threw the season IE the basics.

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2007, 04:57:30 pm
S o pupetmaster accepting the factthat we won 75% of our games if the new coach achieves a less than 75 % win ratio will you be for or against him?

Interested to know....becasue i will bet my shoes the next guy will not achieve what Rotherham has>

most people don't mind getting beat IF the team plays good rugby.
Even when winning our play has been nothing short of pathetic infact only the Catlan match was good rugby.
With Rotherham in charge we may have won but we also played **** poor.
All we as fans want is to watch a good game of rugby no matter what the result as long as it is a good well played game

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 24 Sep 2007, 06:01:09 pm
At the end of the day, i would say the majority of fans probably think that we'll never get into SL.
What most people want to see is a competitive game, played with exciting, attacking rugby.

When did we last see that for two games in a row?

Offline fairweather

• Academy Signing
Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2007, 07:08:18 pm
I can't recall Whitehaven having a coach playing expansive rugby for a long time.
Under McCormack the tactics were to take it up the middle with the forwards and to get a good kick.
Then when near the line big Mick would barge over.
Only difference is the quality of the players.
e.g lester and seeds a couple of years younger
Baynes and Tandy giving the pack a good go forward.
Plus Obst or Penny to do something near the line.

The 51-0 result against Hull KR seems to make every think it was flowing rugby every week under previous coaches.

I can also remember a few posters slagging off McCormack for not playing some of the young local lads.

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2007, 11:17:56 pm

most people don't mind getting beat IF the team plays good rugby.
Even when winning our play has been nothing short of pathetic infact only the Catlan match was good rugby.
With Rotherham in charge we may have won but we also played **** poor.
All we as fans want is to watch a good game of rugby no matter what the result as long as it is a good well played game

Well thats not the way i have seen it! i see people whining about coming fourth{ and they would no matter how topflight Haven played} and moaning at every lose. Then if its a win there happy till the next lose. I would love to know what there interpretation of good rugby is. Would it be 100% correct technical play? or flowing brilliance that usually comes by spending mega dollars for a few backs and running forwards?because there is not that many to pick from in the real world, just look at the NRL and you will see not every side has a class backline, and if they don't a club that pays 500 a week for a player has virtual zero chance of having it, unless they get lucky for a few years with a young player.

It would have been much wiser to keep DR for atleast another year while new players slotted in to take the retiring and leaving players.If Haven was cashed up it would be easier to rebuild quicker {2 seasons or so}, but that is not the case.

All that can be done now is to get behind the lads and give them a boost with support for the next few years.

Go Haven

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2007, 10:46:34 am
We need new players not just sit there and watch the world go by if we stay with what we have we,l get nowhere . a decent coach and some decent players are needed simple as that.