HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

How can there be any signings without a coach??

Offline fairweather

• Academy Signing

I think some people are getting ahead of themsleves with talk of player Haven have signed.
How can the BOD look to sign any players without a coach in place?
Surely any new coach has to be involved in the choice of players.
He might have contacts he could use to recruit new players.
Also he won't be happy being given a squad to coach if the doesn't rate the players signed before his appointment.

Offline recre

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 07:31:17 pm
That would only really work if the coach is already in this country. What if we're looking to recruit an overseas coach then I would imagine he'd have limited knowledge about getting British players, he may get us a decent quota player but would rely heavily on information given to him and players already signed up.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:38:13 pm
Maybe they've already got a coach lined up....

Offline Haven Crazy

• First Team Backup
  • Is tho in yan? Is tho in yan? oohoo
Reply #3 on: 26 Sep 2007, 07:41:43 am
Is the post not being advertised? Surley this would be the best thing to do?
Can't stand Jam, eh!

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 26 Sep 2007, 08:03:42 am
Is the post not being advertised? Surley this would be the best thing to do?

Was in Mondays RL press.

TW

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 26 Sep 2007, 08:48:56 am
this is why all the, is he staying is he going should have been sorted out a couple of months ago, i think they knew there was little chance of giving him a new contract

as it stands now  we have the post advertised closing date next friday, add another couple of weeks for interviews etc etc then its the end of october before we get a new coach

so do we wait until then before signing anyone and hope that there are still some decent players left to sign

or as is happening the BOD sign players, 1 so far finch and and rumours of edmundson, finch comes with very mixed reviews are these the signings to take us forward, reading reviews of finch on the barrow site im not so sure

edmundson started every game for  Waitakere Rangers  and scored 3 tries in 18 games
his 2007 stats        http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?action=PSTATS&client=7-3926-49238-53672-5321101&pID=187424329&pname=Karl%20Edmondson&news_task=DETAIL

also scored twice in the batercard cup comps so 5 tries in 20 games is a great return for a prop, his team finished 4th in the bartcard league

loads of stats here  http://www.nzrl.co.nz/
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2007, 12:15:56 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:57:02 pm
Karl Edmundson signing confirmed on Radio Cumbria - non Quota player, born in Carlisle!!!
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Monte2carlo

Reply #7 on: 26 Sep 2007, 06:25:53 pm

Offline hawkeye

• Academy Signing
Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2007, 10:05:50 pm
Interesting to see that in 2001 he played for the NZ 18s team against an England team featuring Danny McGuire, Rob Burrow, and Sean O'Loughlin. The signs are good if he's highly rated by Stan Martin. If he's as good as Fats, Lester, Leroy, Soss, then he'll do for us!

• Haven Legend
Reply #9 on: 27 Sep 2007, 10:43:07 pm
found this haven fan doing some research

http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=183159
THE MULLET IS BACK

ANZAC

Reply #10 on: 27 Sep 2007, 11:23:41 pm
That does not sound to promising.  Alan Irvuing also "expressed some doubts2" about his quality accordding to a couple sources.  For me for AL to do that in print without giving the bloke a chance says he aint going to be top draw.

I have alway had my doubts about the Batercard Cup being a viable pool of players for NL1.  particularly where the forwards are concerned.

The reality is any forward withthe power and engine these days either getssnapped up by the warriors or goes over to Aus to play premier league and then if they are up to it NRL.

We have seen it on our own door step with Lavu and Twiggy. You aint g to get 24 games top qualityRL out of them.

History has proven that to come over to NL1 now and the improving standards it demands and to make an impact you need to have played top level RL or by there abouts.

The forwards who have made an impression over the last four years are:

Tandy, Trinder, Styles Tangata Toa, Crouch, Adam Watanee.  All these guys have played at least 3- 15 games NRL an have the quality to stand out in our league.  Anything less than that level of experience and i do wonder. 

justonelilpoint

Reply #11 on: 28 Sep 2007, 12:21:34 am
and of course Alan Irving has seen the bloke way more than Stan Martin ?
Stans told me he will do us a job and thats good enough for me.
He's off the quota  and has family here so should settle pretty quick so that also a bonus.
Lets face it we've just played a season with Teare and Baldwin and your worrying about a guy whose played for NZ A team ???  ::)

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:54:19 am
think i'd take john cox's word over alan irvings!!!!! < or would i ignore them both!?!??!>

if stan says he's ok, then until i see him play and he looks otherwise, he's ok for me too!

the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Kellsmarra

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 28 Sep 2007, 06:04:25 am
i can remember Stan martin recomending 3 other guys once back then think there names were  fatialofa ,lester, & Joe   believe they done alright even though they didn't play NRL    lets give the guy a chance and if he turns out to be the next baldwin then you can say "told you so"

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 28 Sep 2007, 09:05:27 am
That does not sound to promising.  Alan Irvuing also "expressed some doubts2" about his quality accordding to a couple sources.  For me for AL to do that in print without giving the bloke a chance says he aint going to be top draw.

I have alway had my doubts about the Batercard Cup being a viable pool of players for NL1.  particularly where the forwards are concerned.

The reality is any forward withthe power and engine these days either getssnapped up by the warriors or goes over to Aus to play premier league and then if they are up to it NRL.

We have seen it on our own door step with Lavu and Twiggy. You aint g to get 24 games top qualityRL out of them.

History has proven that to come over to NL1 now and the improving standards it demands and to make an impact you need to have played top level RL or by there abouts.

The forwards who have made an impression over the last four years are:

Tandy, Trinder, Styles Tangata Toa, Crouch, Adam Watanee.  All these guys have played at least 3- 15 games NRL an have the quality to stand out in our league.  Anything less than that level of experience and i do wonder. 

people knock the batercard saying it is sub standard

NZ have 1 SL standard team playing in the NRL, the NZ level below that is the bater card cup, based on the fact that the SL standard players in NZ are as good as if not better than a lot of SL player over here, then the BC is at least NL1 standard so think it is unfair to run it down
« Last Edit: 28 Sep 2007, 09:07:14 am by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK