HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

WHO IS THIS PLAYER

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:12:36 pm
with all this P.C crack it got me thinking who was the smallish l/f s/off who played for us in the early 90's.he played with a scrum half with a moustache.we also shipped 90 odd points against hull kr and the then coach was quoted as saying the club was held together by sticky tape.i think it was after turley.any thoughts would be very welcome.those indeed were dark days.i am also a posting virgin so please be gentle as this is my first time.

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:49:54 pm
Graham Cameron would be the scrum half with the tache. Stand off probably Camroux or John Routledge?

Coach after Turley was Jackie Davidson 1991 to 1992, followed by Gordon Cottier

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 24 Sep 2007, 08:53:08 pm
Just looked it up the Hull KR debacle was March 1990, coach then was Eric Fitzsimons

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
Reply #3 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:03:06 pm
it must have been before turley.did we sign the scrum half from british aerospace company team.i think the guy i am after was an aussie,big hitter when tackling even only small.was he called pettrie or somthing like that

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:08:17 pm
The little aussie scrum halve who played under Fitzimmons (or whatever) was called ward... no? I remember when we beat leigh in the challenge cup and he scored an interception from 70 yards plus.  It was also the same season Hull KR put 92 points on us and Halifax also put a cricket score on us.  There was an aussie forward called petri or petry or somat like that?

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
Reply #5 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:54:29 pm
well done splodge99 it is all coming back to me now especially dancing on the kells end when we beat lee.this aussie as i remember was a loose forward and one of the best tacklers that i have seen at haven when he hit you you stayed down.has anybody a conformation on the name please.

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:57:35 pm
mcfarlane mike i think

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:43:26 am
Petrie was a stand off & useless.  James Ward a half decent scrum half. Kelly Shelford played loose forward in the Leigh match I think

justonelilpoint

Reply #8 on: 25 Sep 2007, 08:55:33 am
Shelford played stand off in that game and Petrie loose forward
Both Ward and Petrie came with Fitzsimons from amateur clubs down Oldham way
Got the game on DVD, was selling copies bit back for Kiwi  testimonial lads, raised ?100 for them

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #9 on: 25 Sep 2007, 09:47:47 am
any left would be intrested in getting hold of one, was peter dover playing in that game

justonelilpoint

Reply #10 on: 25 Sep 2007, 11:24:41 am
1. willie Richardson
2. Tony Solarie
3.Billy Fisher
4.Gramham Cameron
5.Stephen Fryer
6.Kelly Shelford
7.James Ward
8.Stephen Howse
9. Gary Mounsey
10 Gary Hetherington
11 Tony D'Leny
12 Norman Lofthouse
13 Steve Petrie
Subs
Brian Sparks

Missing 1 sub think it was Peter Dover ?

Yeah can probably do you one ,..PM me if your interested

Online whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2007, 02:41:26 pm
The little aussie scrum halve who played under Fitzimmons (or whatever) was called ward... no? I remember when we beat leigh in the challenge cup and he scored an interception from 70 yards plus.  It was also the same season Hull KR put 92 points on us and Halifax also put a cricket score on us.  There was an aussie forward called petri or petry or somat like that?

He  was  a  quality  player. A very small player  but  very  tricky.  Infact  it  was  his  drop  goal  that  won us  that  game  against  Leigh.  Can't  remember  that  try  though.  I  know  he  went  most  of  the  field  during  1  play  but he  was  brought  back  for  some  infringement.

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 25 Sep 2007, 04:19:49 pm
Your right!!!! It was disallowed!!!! I forgot that bit. 

All i could remember was ward going 70 yards and being chased by some ex GB player (Stephenson???) who pulled up with some sort of hamstring injury and never played rugby again.

Kelly shelford scored one from quite a distant in the second half (towards the kells end)... it was a great day, but a terrible season... probably the worst season I've witnessed, very dark days.

I'm sure that forward was called petrie... short, very tough, blonde....

Online whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 25 Sep 2007, 06:04:50 pm
Your right!!!! It was disallowed!!!! I forgot that bit. 

All i could remember was ward going 70 yards and being chased by some ex GB player (Stephenson???) who pulled up with some sort of hamstring injury and never played rugby again.

Kelly shelford scored one from quite a distant in the second half (towards the kells end)... it was a great day, but a terrible season... probably the worst season I've witnessed, very dark days.

I'm sure that forward was called petrie... short, very tough, blonde....

Your  right  Splodge.  Loose  forward  I  think.  Must  have  put  in  40+  tackles  every  game.  As  for  who  got  the  drop  you  could  be  right  on  that  too.  I  thought  it  was  Ward  because  I  remember  at  the  end  some  fans  ran  onto  the  pitch  and  put  him  on  their  shoulder and  carried  him  off  but  I  forgot  about  Shelford.  I  might  be  wrong  but  I  think  we  got  Ward  and  Petrie  from  some  obscure  team..........British  Aerospace RLFC. ????

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 25 Sep 2007, 06:14:45 pm
1. willie Richardson
2. Tony Solarie
3.Billy Fisher
4.Gramham Cameron
5.Stephen Fryer
6.Kelly Shelford
7.James Ward
8.Stephen Howse
9. Gary Mounsey
10 Gary Hetherington
11 Tony D'Leny
12 Norman Lofthouse
13 Steve Petrie
Subs
Brian Sparks

Missing 1 sub think it was Peter Dover ?

Yeah can probably do you one ,..PM me if your interested

Peter Dover was the other sub