HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Grandstand ??

Guest · 12 · 867

Monte2carlo

on: 08 Oct 2007, 04:51:15 pm
Ok,

any news on the grandstand ? Is it still going ahead ? Is the team not been strenghtened due to the new stands ?

M

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 08 Oct 2007, 04:58:45 pm
As far as I know, nothing has changed with regard to the popular side Grandstand, that may or may not arrive in the long run.  The other two proposed stands wre mentioned in the RL press last week - the sticking point now seems to be that the club as yet have not been able to negotiate a long enough lease in order to free up the necessary grant funding.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Monte2carlo

Reply #2 on: 08 Oct 2007, 05:02:44 pm
Thanks,

Is that due to the miners ??

M

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 08 Oct 2007, 05:25:55 pm
They should hjave moved the ground years ago its been a hell since day 1 and always will be.

justonelilpoint

Reply #4 on: 08 Oct 2007, 05:32:29 pm
Monte ask your dad, He should have more idea than us  ;D

Monte2carlo

Reply #5 on: 08 Oct 2007, 06:10:35 pm
CD,

He tells me nowt as he knows what i am like LOL

M

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 08 Oct 2007, 06:37:18 pm
I believe the Miners are the ones who issue the lease yes.  Incidentally, in the article I read, it was quoted that the club are looking at the possibility of moving to another site!

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 08 Oct 2007, 06:41:53 pm
I dont blame them they should have years ago

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 08 Oct 2007, 07:07:19 pm
At the risk of being shouted at again, the Social Centre are the people who grant leases on the land.    However, I think you will find that Haven are in a similar situation to Workington Reds.    In both cases the clubs only had / have a short time to run on their leases and again in both cases the local councils want to do something else with the land and therefore the clubs cannot get the length of lease they require to obtain grants, etc.

In Haven's case the local council are wanting to make a compulsory purchase order on all the land at the Rec in order to build a new stadium, roads, etc, and therefore I imagine the Social Welfare Centre won't or can't issue another lengthy lease in case it costs them in the long run.    The Reds lease on Borough Park ran out and because the council wanted to build a new stadium at Workington they would only allow the Reds to have a short term lease with conditions attached re. cancelling the lease when the time came to build the new stadium.

Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 08 Oct 2007, 07:09:53 pm
Thanks for that Keith, thats the best explanation I've heard!

Offline njg4haven

• First Team Regular
  • Only 700k to go to purchase date
    • Cumbria's Top Band
Reply #10 on: 08 Oct 2007, 08:41:21 pm
At the risk of being shouted at again, the Social Centre are the people who grant leases on the land.    However, I think you will find that Haven are in a similar situation to Workington Reds.    In both cases the clubs only had / have a short time to run on their leases and again in both cases the local councils want to do something else with the land and therefore the clubs cannot get the length of lease they require to obtain grants, etc.

In Haven's case the local council are wanting to make a compulsory purchase order on all the land at the Rec in order to build a new stadium, roads, etc, and therefore I imagine the Social Welfare Centre won't or can't issue another lengthy lease in case it costs them in the long run.    The Reds lease on Borough Park ran out and because the council wanted to build a new stadium at Workington they would only allow the Reds to have a short term lease with conditions attached re. cancelling the lease when the time came to build the new stadium.

We do have another option, move up to the hensingham stadium. Bags of potential, some backers willing to contribute and most of all it would really p++s off the other sporting bodies who are blocking our progress ( one individual being an avid haven fan )  It's time these things went into the press.
"To sin by silence makes cowards of men"   Ella Wilcox USA

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 08 Oct 2007, 09:43:38 pm
Gateshead thunder play on an athlete's stadium they were playing at the newcastle r,union ground for a while, the only downside was the track going round the outside but I'm not sure how far you are away up at ours.