HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

This season.....your thoughts

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 23 Sep 2007, 06:29:57 pm
Well  thats  another  season  over.  What  did  we  make  of  it ???

An  NRC  final  and  4th  spot.  Could  we  have  done  better. ???

ANZAC

Reply #1 on: 23 Sep 2007, 07:41:41 pm
In short with thid BOd runing the club we have over achieved.

Never int he history of RL  either here or Aus has BOd ditched its coach in the middle of the playoffs without knowing what the team might achieve.

The Brisbane broncos board could learn off this shower.  They are so decisive they should be running the country.  Three egos wanted a change and the chairman couldn't stand up to it.

we have done bloody well mate with that shower of SH@@T running the club.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 23 Sep 2007, 07:50:58 pm
To be honest Anzac the coached wasn't ditched or sacked. He was allowed to do his job until the end of the  season. Basically his contract wasn't renewed which doesn't constitute a sacking as  appears  to be the views of quite a few.

ANZAC

Reply #3 on: 23 Sep 2007, 08:00:40 pm
Give me a break your told your not wanted at the most crucial  point of the season without knowing what will be achieved.  Never been done before in RL and probably wont be again for a very good reason.  It  destroys the team and confidence.  Same for the fans as other posts have said...no one was that bothered about today.  The BOD have undermined him for the last three months the fact the bloke stuck around to do hsi job and didn't say anyhting even when he could have on the Radio today   (albeit Coxy jumped in to make sure he didn't) speaks volumes for him.

I am really looking forward to seeing what this BOD do over the next couple of months.  THe fans know what sort of players we need, the y type of quality and experience.  I can't wait to see who they appoint as coach and which players they recruit beacuse if it come down to Dexter Finch and Lavu I will personally through them in the docks.

They are incompetent for the psoitons they hold IMO     

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 23 Sep 2007, 08:35:39 pm
The season was crap and a few said on here just wait we,l come right , lets face it there was no coming right this season 2 or 3 games we played good rugby the rest have been armature games we,v payed to watch

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 23 Sep 2007, 09:19:27 pm
well it is over

let's review

A NRC Cup Final

Got hammered

A 4th place

should be 3rd

A few defeats

Embarrassing getting beat by doncaster and Eagles

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Whitehaven Lad

• Academy Signing
Reply #6 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:45:29 am
Fourth and a cup final.Disappointed we lost out on points diff to Halifax otherwise we would be in the semi against Widnes.The losses to Doncaster and Sheffield were a killer and the season turned on them.The Leigh loss evened itself out as we would probably have thought we would win at home and lose away.Incredibly unlucky to lose both games to Widnes in the league.Catalans were there to be beaten on the day.Pasted beyond belief at Blackpool but I can't remember anyone thinking we would win.The loss at Blackpool didn't come anywhere near the loss in the final to Cas, Rotherham wasn't coaching that day.

Overall as good as could be expected before the season kicked of.Undoubtedly the club has overachieved since the season of the Leigh final, supporters expectations have been raised a lot.I think the season before the Leigh final we were knocked out of the play offs at Rochdale.If anyone had said what we were going to achieve in the following four years they would have been put in a straitjacket.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 24 Sep 2007, 02:53:25 pm
Donny  defeat  was  a  bad  one  when  you  consider  all  the  players  they  offloaded  and  just  weeks  later  we  hammered  them  at  our  spot. Sheffield  was  another  bad  defeat  but  the  game came  just  days  after  a  tough  game  against  Widnes.  For  me  another  bad  deafet  was  Widnes  away.  14-6  up  with  less  than  10 mins  left. Still its  all  ifs and buts.  Not  bad but  maybe  could  have  done  a  bit  better.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 24 Sep 2007, 04:53:53 pm
I don't think we should get too hung up on where we finished in the league and how far we got in competitions. What  we should be more concerned about is,the style of rugby we played. Did you enjoy the style of rugby played by our team this season cos I for one didn't. I used to come away from games which we had won feeling depressed.

So was it the coach's fault? or did he do as well as could be expected with limited resource. Was it the players for not responding to the coaching or was it the board for failing to make quality signings. Whatever the reason we didn't get value for our money this season and have gone backwards by 3 or 4 years.

Personally I think appointing DR was amistake.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 24 Sep 2007, 05:41:47 pm
I don't think we should get too hung up on where we finished in the league and how far we got in competitions. What  we should be more concerned about is,the style of rugby we played. Did you enjoy the style of rugby played by our team this season cos I for one didn't. I used to come away from games which we had won feeling depressed.

So was it the coach's fault? or did he do as well as could be expected with limited resource. Was it the players for not responding to the coaching or was it the board for failing to make quality signings. Whatever the reason we didn't get value for our money this season and have gone backwards by 3 or 4 years.

Personally I think appointing DR was amistake.

Just about sums it up for me.

Offline hawkeye

• Academy Signing
Reply #10 on: 24 Sep 2007, 09:58:19 pm
Let us all remember that the quality of applicants for the coaches job wasn't that brilliant when Dave Rotherham was appointed; there wasn't exactly a queue of highly regarded coaches lining up for the job. The directors should be given some credit for eventually realising that his coaching and motivational abilities were limited, and making a swift decision not to renew his contract. Ok, he was playing with a limited hand, but it does make me wonder how he would have managed at Widnes if he had been appointed in favour of Steve Mac. 

When I read Alan Irving's comments about Rotherham leading us to the 'advanced' stages of the play-offs, I do wonder how getting knocked out in the second round of the play-offs can be regarded as a success. Perhaps he shared a glass or two too many of claret with him, and this has severely clouded his judgment.

The decision not to renew his contract is not exactly new ground - Cas made it quite clear two years ago that Dave Woods' contract would not be renewed at the end of the season , and they duly appointed Terry Matterson after Woods had secured promotion to Super League for the club. They had the foresight to realise the limitations of their coach. I would dearly like to think that our next coach is in the same mould as Terry Matterson or Justin Morgan.

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 25 Sep 2007, 12:01:22 am
The team and coach did well considering the resources by a long way. The only way they could have done any better with the resources is for the monkeys to realise there is very little difference between Haven and an Amateur side. The players on the field her the yells of support from the sideline when they are down, imagine what the yells from 2500 supporters would achieve, even in the teams darkest hour.
Not a player on this planet will do very well for long if everyone thinks he is crap no matter how many millions he gets payed. This goes for the idiot supporters that call the true supporters sheep for believing no matter what. I say idiot because unless they are on the BOD,coach,player or out raising 500,000 quid in sponsorship for the club, they are nothing but so called sheep anyway.

Something to remember! A critic will never get a side to win ever, but a true supporter can because they become part of the teams drive on the field.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 26 Sep 2007, 10:21:23 am
good post hawkeye. But what are we going to do with you toddy?. I've read your previous posts and it seems like the team and the coach can do no wrong in your eyes, and anyone who criticises is a donkey. I pay my gate money for 2 hrs entertainment. If i don't think I've had value for my money I'll say so. If it happens week in week out then you start looking for the root problem and get it sorted out. It's no good telling everone what a true supporter you are for not criticising the coach or certain players and at the same time burying your head in the sand and hoping the problem will go away. Get real.

Offline Haven till I Die

• Academy Star
Reply #13 on: 26 Sep 2007, 05:03:13 pm
Believe the fans were voting with there feet. If DR had carried on in the same vein with the same way of playing rugby then we would have possibly have been luck to be getting 1500 to a home match. As it is there is now a new optimism within supporters as we are going to get a new coach and possibly some new players. If that isnt enough to get anyone excited then i do believe that all everyone can do is slag everything off thats going on at the recre instead of trying to get more involved and support the team.