HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

NL1 dream team

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 28 Sep 2007, 10:28:53 am
Interesting that 2 of our players mention by a  cas fan for the team, these 2 would be in with a shout i think

http://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?t=317702
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Havenhack

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2007, 12:58:11 pm
Heres mine that I did for the programme the other week.

KC

FULL-BACK
Stuart Donlan (Castleford Tigers).
A full back is a hard thing to choose -- do you go for a reliable figure like Haven's own Gary Broadbent or someone with real pace and attacking flair like Widnes man Scott Grix?
Personally Donlan is the automatic choice because he offers enough of both the attacking and defending attributes. He isn't as good a defender as Broadbent and he isn't as good an attacker as Grix, but he is the best all round full-back in the division.

WINGER
Craig Calvert (Whitehaven)
Okay so maybe I'm a little biassed on this one, but for me Calvert is the best winger in the division and he is also the fastest.
He hasn't maybe had as prolific a season as he'd have liked, but I believe that his all round game this year as improved, he is certainly tougher in defence now then he was 12 months ago and his positional sense is also much better then previously. I honestly believe that if Haven played to his strengths he'd be unstoppable.

CENTRE
Kirk Dixon (Castleford Tigers)
The former rugby union man has done really well for Castleford this season, and looked very impressive in the games against Haven.
He is strong in defence, quick and knows where the try line is.

CENTRE
Mick Nanyn (Widnes Vikings)
Hard to look past Nanyn after yet another record breaking season. He is a big, strong man who is virtually unstoppable close to the line. He has also found a far greater consistency in his goal kicking. The main reason I'd like to see Widnes win the grand final is because I'd be fascinated to know how Nanyn would fair in Super League. I suspect that might lack a little pace to play in the centres at that level, but he could potentially be a great ball playing second row.

WINGER
Damien Blanch (Widnes Vikings)
A real menace against Haven over the years, both now at Widnes and when he first came to the English game with Castleford. He is quick and strong, and knows where the try line is. No doubt he has benefited from playing outside Toa Kohe-Love.

STAND OFF
Dennis Moran (Widnes Vikings)
Moran secured his place in this team before half time in the Northern Rail Cup Final, where he was magnificent. Another good display up here in the last league game confirmed it. He looked sluggish before he left Wigan but outside of Super League seems to have all the time in the world. Graham Holroyd was the only player to come close to Moran, after his match winning performance for Doncaster against Haven earlier in the season.

SCRUM HALF
Danny Brough (Castleford Tigers)
When Castleford beat Whitehaven in front of the Sky cameras a few weeks ago Brough was the difference between the two sides, and is should come as no surprise to anyone that his will be playing Super League again next season, whatever the grand final result. A little shocked that he went to Wakefield without giving Cas a chance to get promoted.

PROP
Oliver Wilkes (Widnes Vikings)
During his brief stint with Haven it was clear to see that Wilkes was a great strong running forward who is also tough in defence, the only real surprise is that he didn't do better when he got his chance with Wigan, although in fairness to him he was playing in probably the poorest Wigan team in living memory. I would have loved to have seen him back up here when it didn't work out at the JJB.  Although I wasn't sure about the switch from second row to prop Wilkes has thrived in the front row.

HOOKER
Mark Smith (Widnes Vikings)
Smith is a really classy player, and who knows if things had worked out differently for him he might have still been playing in the top flight with Wigan. His an important controlling influence for the Vikings and I think he'd combine well with the hooker I've named on the bench. I think he'll end up back in the Super League sooner rather then later, the only question is if he'll be able to achieve that with Widnes.

PROP
Frank Watene (Halifax)
Watene has beaten his team mate Paul Southern to a place in this side. He is a cracking prop forward, strong in the tackle and hard to bring down. Halifax's success this season has been based around it's power up front, where Watene and Southern have excelled. His Aussie team mate Aaron Trinder impressed me to before getting injured at the Recre. If 'Fax get backs to compliment their pack they'll take some beating next year.

SECOND ROW
Richard Fletcher (Whitehaven)
Fletch has been a revelation since his move to Whitehaven to replace Mark Leafa. He's clearly a far better player then Leafa, although I would have been good to have both of them in the second row this season. Has shown his commitment to the club by moving to the town and getting a job in the area.

SECOND ROW
Malinga Styles (Leigh Centurions)
I have to admit to not having heard of Styles before he came up to play at Whitehaven with Leigh earlier this season, and from what I can gather he isn't usually a prop forward, the position in which he played that day, when he was fantastic.
Usually a second row or loose forward, he put in a man of the match performance and even had the energy to do celebratory cart-wheels after the final hooter. Top class.

LOOSE FORWARD
Joe Westerman (Castleford Tigers)
Bob Beswick would be the obvious choice, and he is unlucky to miss out having not put a foot wrong. But Westerman is the real find of the season for me. I cannot believe that this kid is only 17 years-old, he is exceptional. Strong and quick, he plays the game with a maturity that defies his age and I think it is a question of when and not if he ends up a Great Britain international. Westerman has been described as being like a young Paul Sculthorpe, I'm not sure there is any higher praise I can give then that.

THE BENCH
Carl Sice (Whitehaven)
Sicey can change a game in an instant and although his flamboyant, try-anything-once approach can prove frustrating when it doesn't come off, when it does he looks outstanding. Phil Clarke compared him to James Roby -- praise indeed.

Marc Jackson (Whitehaven) Probably a bit of a surprise selection this one, but if you look at Jacko's performance in the Castleford game it is clear to see that he is potentially the best prop forward in the national league, and amazing to think that he hasn't been a first choice for Haven at times. I've said this for the past three or four seasons now, but if he can find some consistency then he could be a real star for Haven.

Mick Cassidy (Widnes Vikings)
Cassidy seems to have been around for ever, and at 34 this could well be the last season we see him. However, if his form is anything to go on, there is plenty of life in the old dog yet. What an impact bringing him and Jacko on at the same time would have on a game.

Gavin Dodd (Widnes Vikings)
Dodd can cover on either wing or at full-back, and is strong enough to play in the centre too. Perhaps his versatility has been his downfall and he has been in and out of the Vikings side this season. Got two tries at the Recre and would be a star player at virtually any other National League club -- it just shows how strong Widnes are that he isn't always first choice.

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 28 Sep 2007, 01:22:09 pm
I would add Matty to that list he,s shown this season to be a class player