HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

crarey gets the job

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #15 on: 09 Oct 2007, 04:15:33 pm
good players from where? does crarey have the influence to bring in quality players that the likes of widnes will leigh are salford are and even the new boys celtic have? the answer is simple NO the BOD have brought in a part tiem cumbrian coach who will go along with their ideas he will bring a few from barrow and will be looking around the amateur teams

last season when people were saying "we will do well to be in the top 6 next season" i was thinking "not a chance we will be up in the top 3 or 4" now im not sure salford will be fulltime as will celtic and maybe fax and widnes, leigh will have a very strong squad and if the likes of dewsbury recruit well then we could be in serious trouble if we keep duffy and fletch we could still do something if we dont we need to spend some serious money to compete next season
haven till i die

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #16 on: 09 Oct 2007, 04:37:00 pm
PC and the BOD have my full backing, ...........until my worst fears are confirmed........... not about PC as I am sure he will do the best job he can.

My fear is that we don't yet have a clear and sustainable direction for the club.

Listening to Des on the radio Sunday prior to last, he (BOD) seemed to be doubting the past 'wisdom' of bringing in travelers.
The talk was of developing 'local' talent supposedly to save the hassle and financial on-cost of players who travel for training / matches.

I seriously doubt we have enough proffessionally dedicated 'local talent' to pull off such a change in direction while maintaining the high standards of the past 5 years........... particularly when you look at the different direction Halifax, Leigh, Salford and Widnes (and others ??) are going in. 

The success of the past 5 years has been built on three solid pillars :-

- Good coaches
- Backbone of good solid experienced local players
- Committed and talented travelers (bar a couple)

In all three areas we are down and at risk for next season............. and the financial position / direction is unclear (stands or players .. ...players or stands etc)........ I await the outcome of the past few weeks of change and lack of clear direction with interest  and some trepidation........ but still think it all has a high likelihood of ending in tears !!
Hope the BOD have a clear workable plan for it all and can thus avert a downward spiral.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2007, 04:41:48 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #17 on: 09 Oct 2007, 04:39:23 pm
good players from where? does crarey have the influence to bring in quality players that the likes of widnes will leigh are salford are and even the new boys celtic have? the answer is simple NO the BOD have brought in a part tiem cumbrian coach who will go along with their ideas he will bring a few from barrow and will be looking around the amateur teams

last season when people were saying "we will do well to be in the top 6 next season" i was thinking "not a chance we will be up in the top 3 or 4" now im not sure salford will be fulltime as will celtic and maybe fax and widnes, leigh will have a very strong squad and if the likes of dewsbury recruit well then we could be in serious trouble if we keep duffy and fletch we could still do something if we dont we need to spend some serious money to compete next season

Think you may be wrong about Widnes, as they went into administration today

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #18 on: 09 Oct 2007, 04:42:43 pm
owel widnes might not be up there next season then  :-[ bu thta still leaves salford celtic fax and leigh who will all have very strong teams
haven till i die

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 09 Oct 2007, 04:53:28 pm
I think some people need to get real, did nobody hear Des' words last week - financially we can't compete with the signings of the bigger clubs! 

There is a thread on the Trust in Widnes site today about the possibility of them going into administration.  Have a look at it, it makes interesting reading, especially where a director of 12+ years at the club states that the one thing he has learnt is that you can't be a top NL1 club of gates on less than 3500 a week or you have a VERY rich sugar daddy!

If we want to compete we need a lot more people through the gate week in week out.  That is what the Bod should be driving to achieve.  Paul Crarey has been a part of that at Barrow already, in conjunction with some good marketing and his style of play, the gates have trebled from where they were when he took over.

The other thing the Bod needs to do is 'manage the expectations' of the fans - whatever their plans are they need to publicise them so the paying fans know what they are buying into.  I'm quite happy to settle for mid table mediocrity for a couple of years if I get to watch exciting, passionate rugby league and its ultimately for the long term PROGRESSION of the club.
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline hawkeye

• Academy Signing
Reply #20 on: 09 Oct 2007, 05:03:04 pm
Paul Crarey is a sound guy who wears his heart on his sleeve. However, no matter which way you look at it, and how hard you look for positives, this appointment brings back bad memories of the Cumbrian coaches merry-go-round during the barren years of the 70s and 80s. Who do you think will be the next coach when PC's contract is up in 12 months? Simon Knox...Colin Armstrong...or possibly even Phil Kitchin again? There is no way you can dress this up as a positive move. It is a bad news day for the club.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #21 on: 09 Oct 2007, 05:50:33 pm
I've kept out of this thread because it is entirely a matter for the Haven club and fans to discuss and agree or disagree with.    However, (there's always an however!!) I think people should take a step back and look at what the future may hold.     There is no more promotion to SL by winning the NL1 Grand Final plus the grandstand issue was always going to be a big obstacle for Haven to get over.    So, what is so important about where the club finish next season as long as it isn't in the relegation zone to NL2???

This was always going to be the start of a transitional period for Haven with so many senior players finishing and some travellers wanting to leave.    The cost of bringing in travellers is high and if the public of Whitehaven won't turn out in sufficient numbers to bring in the capital to pay for these players, how can anyone blame the directors who gave it a go last season.   

Paul Crarey isn't a Paul Cullen or Steve McCormack   -    yet.     But who is to say that he might not turn out to be better than either or both.    I would say as there isn't a lot at stake next season just give the lad a chance.   He, himself, turned down a 2 year contract and asked for a 1 year contract to see how the situation developed so as I say take a step back, lower those expectations for a while and get behind this young coach, the players he signs and, yes, the board who have took some very big decisions for the club over the past few years.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline kellsladbornandbred

• Academy Star
Reply #22 on: 09 Oct 2007, 05:57:41 pm
Keith well said mate some words of wisdom at last on this site and it has came from a True Rugby League Supporter whether Workington Town or Whitehaven.

Offline GARDNER

• Academy Signing
Reply #23 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:12:00 pm
i agree with hawkeye think the club has taken a step backwards :'( when they let dr go i was sure that they had a big name coach ready to step in .if u like a better coach. barrow didn't get to the grand final after finishing 2d  :oso how can pc be a better coach??.the club has had a good few years of been well run and i don't like criticising who have worked hard for the club. but i feel that the haven could be on the slide. That said lets wish pc well
NEVER GIVE UP HOPE

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #24 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:29:10 pm
As I have said on various posts we must be realistic about the future. Things are changing and we must allow things to bed down and develop before we start jumping on any bandwagon and critisising people. No matter what decisions are made, they will be made for a reason. So lets get behind PC, any new players and the BOD and try to move Haven forward as a club.

Good Luck Paul !!!!!  ;)

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #25 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:39:28 pm
Welcome Paul and hope you do a good job

good luck

let's hope people don't knock him before we find out what it's style of play is like 

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #26 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:42:35 pm
Whats his official start date?

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #27 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:43:38 pm
I think it will be next training session because we have no coach

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline hensingham boy

• First Team Backup
  • win or lose on the booze
Reply #28 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:44:40 pm
hopefully he'll take the shackles off a few players and they can express themselves like we know they can but have rarely seen over the past couple of seasons

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 09 Oct 2007, 06:46:34 pm
yer lets hope they can adapt back lol