HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Style of play or league position

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 10 Oct 2007, 06:55:31 pm
Since cresta took over theres been lots from him and the BOD about changing our style of play

in tonights whitehaven news amounst news about a move to copeland staduim and seeds getting involved, is a piece where des and cresta say they are looking to change the style of play but say nothing about cementing our place as a top 4 club, also hints at blooding a lot of youngsters

so which is more important

to be honest for me if its a choice of top 3 playing boring rugby

or top 6 playing expansive stuff, give me the boring rugby
« Last Edit: 10 Oct 2007, 07:02:12 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #1 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:08:59 pm
If playing open attacking rugby was the route to success, everyone would be playing it.

Rugby is a game based on strong forwards and defence first and formost. Teams who throw the ball about with gay abandom in the back division don't really exist, because tif they do they get stuffed .

To come anywhere near close to that and be successful you would need a first class team, who have loads of stamina, and who can be trusted to play well for themselves and the team.

Doesn't sound like a part time team based at the Rec to me.

No point me me voting above eh !

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:09:37 pm
is moving to copeland stadium seriously being considered?
haven till i die

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:12:07 pm
If playing open attacking rugby was the route to success, everyone would be playing it.

Rugby is a game based on strong forwards and defence first and formost. Teams who throw the ball about with gay abandom in the back division don't really exist, because tif they do they get stuffed .

To come anywhere near close to that and be successful you would need a first class team, who have loads of stamina, and who can be trusted to play well for themselves and the team.

Doesn't sound like a part time team based at the Rec to me.

No point me me voting above eh !

i agree cas throw it about a bit , but they have brough, thackery westerman etc etc,
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:15:12 pm
Since cresta took over theres been lots from him and the BOD about changing our style of play

in tonights whitehaven news amounst news about a move to copeland staduim and seeds getting involved, is a piece where des and cresta say they are looking to change the style of play but say nothing about cementing our place as a top 4 club, also hints at blooding a lot of youngsters

Wouldn't that be a bit like jumping from the frying pan into the fire, bkm, as the Copeland Stadium is owned under a charitable trust also!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:20:22 pm

Wouldn't that be a bit like jumping from the frying pan into the fire, bkm, as the Copeland Stadium is owned under a charitable trust also!!!!

keith i think its just saber rattling to get a long lease

now keep on topic you naughty boy
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2007, 07:34:08 pm
Gateshead thunder seem to be fine playing at there athletic stadium.
oh just a thort who owns the Haven club at the top of hensingham thats going to ruin :-\

Offline recregoer

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 10 Oct 2007, 08:41:51 pm

I wouldn't say we played boring rugby in 2005. It was forwards based, but we looked capable of going from one end of the field to the other in 5 tackles and scoring tries, which we lacked last season. If we get the balance right i think we'd have pulled some more results off last season. We lost a few games last season because we looked clueless. I would also say that teams like Sheffield, Dewsbury and Leigh who were around 6th place certainly didn't seem to play the most entertaining rugby this season.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 10 Oct 2007, 08:58:44 pm
For me its not a question of style or position its all about developing a positive game plan and thinking outside that game plan when possible. Brian Ashton talks about England playing a style of rugby where you play what is in front of you at the time. Think the unthinkable and try different things.

A good example would be when we are on our own line under pressure and the opposition Full Back is in the line whack the ball down field for Calvert to chase. The last time we had someone that could think like this was little Sam.

The last few years we have been so predictable in our play, however saying that I did notice that Carl R was trying one or two things near the end of the year. Maybe he could work on that?

ANZAC

Reply #9 on: 10 Oct 2007, 09:24:18 pm
Chaps this is the biggest smoke screen i hav ever seen for the Board of Whitehaven.  Let me give you a reality check.

(1) We have not realy altered our style of play at all in the last four years it has been based on simple error free rugby.  Any retrospective look at the psst and a misguided view we were some electirc attacking force is Bull @@@@.

Two facts may help you understand - we had Obst who in NL1 at the time was a very decent attacking player. He was quick and could make breaks and deliver good passes, this helped us look quite accomplished in attack.  (2) You can only play attacking Rugby when the forwards are dominating ...a few years ago with Tandy Summers and Fats (in his pomp) we were comparitively strong up front and... the oppositon were generally weaker.

The idea we can just fling the ball about and we will look great and everyone will be happy is so untrue its not real.  What really scares me is the coach and Bod seem to believe it.

(a) People want a winning team first and formost anyone who says anything else is lying...although they may get he opportunity to prove me wrong next year the way things are going.

(b) To play attacking Rugby you need to be (a) domminent in the game  (B) have very skillful players. Its no secreat that St Helens in SL and Cas in NL1 were the best attacking teams /...beacause they are dominemt....oh and they have the most skillful players.

SO fellas you want great attaking Rugby and dont mind finishing 5th or 6th Well if we finsih 5th or 6th we will be playing sh@t season and the crowds will be down fact.             

Offline REDBECKROAD

• Academy Signing
Reply #10 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:03:57 am

A good example would be when we are on our own line under pressure and the opposition Full Back is in the line whack the ball down field for Calvert to chase. The last time we had someone that could think like this was little Sam.

Thing is, Rudd has been kicking the ball deep for Calvert ( at times straight from the scrum) since they played u12s together, we can only assume that this sort of thinking was discouraged in recent seasons.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 11 Oct 2007, 10:33:28 am
DR will have stopped it, as it wasn't involved in the strategy of five drives and a kick straight to a player.

When we did use that tactic (and that is only an example) years ago it worked quite well. We need more creative thinking like this when attacking.

Offline kellsendlad

• Academy Signing
Reply #12 on: 11 Oct 2007, 12:23:51 pm
style of play is just as important as results IMO
last year even when we won down at the rec 9 times
out of ten i came away feeling we had lost and instead
of feeling upbeat and jubilant about the next weeks game
i was looking at next weeks opponents and thinking we
will have to play better than that to beat them at the end of the
season it came as no surprise we lost third place because we
were playing on a reputation doncaster, Leigh,cas,widnes and
eventually Halifax exposed us
so for me a different playing style would be very welcome

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 11 Oct 2007, 02:10:46 pm
At the end of the day Rugby League is just another form of ENTERTAINMENT boring one dimensional play may win games but it won't win many new fans.

No new fans =smaller gates=a club in decline.

When we played the Catalans we used the ball more than we had done the previous 5 games, we lost but I for one enjoyed the game. St Helens have always been noted for their flare & attacking play, which was one of the reasons DR got the job, remember he came in saying that he would encourage the expansive game.   

Online WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 11 Oct 2007, 03:23:05 pm
the thing with poul crarey he has a rugby league brain he will play us to our strengths as he did barrow and dont be suprised to see some very very classy tries next year because if he can do it with nl2 players and it looks class whats he gonna be like usung top nl1 players think about it hes the right man for the job noone could have been better apointed very very happy about this