HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Perhaps we are wrong?

Boxer · 15 · 2057

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 01 Nov 2006, 06:36:29 pm
After reading many different posts on the subject of our and other teams strengthening I am begining to wonder whether on reflection the "fans general opinion" may be wrong.

it seems to be a given and widely accepted by all that Leafa needs replacing the fans have said it, The Bod have said it and DR has said it in the RL express (even suggesting he may sort something out this week.

That said last year we came within a wisker of reaching the grand final, a lack of fitness perhaps (look at the footage of Duffy playing for Leigh in SL 2005 -  he is carrying a lot of weight ...but still played very well at the back end of last season) but we could have sneaked it away from home.

Based on the fact that we were third best in NL1 last year ...we gain something for continuity  we can reasonably expect to be putting up a greater challenge next year.  Particulalry if don't lose the dumb games York (a) Rochdale 9a) Doncaster (a)

All in all if we can pull a top back row forward signing ...and i would go to Aus and NZ to get this guy i.e a  young up and coming reserve grader from a strong club who is still very keen (al a Obst) ..EU passport of course we may just have the squad to make the Grand final.

Pluses

Continuity
Good pre season to get everyone fit
Put any remaining money into signing the bes possible B/R forward
Younger player (and there are some talened ones) will be stronger more experienced
Cas and Widnes may be signing names but they still need a team...we already have one!

Offline Haven Baz

• Academy Signing
Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2006, 07:11:22 pm
Agree 100% with you Boxer and it's good to read a positive post, as it seems to be all doom and gloom recently.

Offline mr hopefull

• First Team Backup
  • off we go-- come on haven-- come on haven
Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2006, 08:18:44 pm
good post boxer,you could be right,,,we have got a good team allready together,,,,i believe though,,to put up a real serious challenge to win the g.f.we need 3/4 signings,,good quality ones,,,im not complaining mind you, the squad we have now are capable of getting to the final,,but its winning that counts ,,that last extra push of asking the same players week in week out to go all out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,what about injuries,,,the more i think of it the more im convinced ,,for us to win the g.f. we need those 3/4 players throughout the season to keep the momentum going,,think next seson will be harder than last year,we know cas and widnes look to have strengthened,never mind them there is also the likes of doncaster/halifax/leigh/batley/rochdale,,,all of these seem to be a threat for next season,
                                                 cant wait for it all to start though :) :)

Offline branstylad

• Academy Signing
Reply #3 on: 02 Nov 2006, 04:53:49 pm
Got to agree with  a lot of what Boxer says.
A settled team ( which we have ) with strength in depth ( which we have ) must be in the mix next season.
A couple of, quality, signings wouldn't go amiss but it's early days yet!

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 02 Nov 2006, 06:10:38 pm
good post boxer,you could be right,,,we have got a good team allready together,,,,i believe though,,to put up a real serious challenge to win the g.f.we need 3/4 signings,,good quality ones,,,im not complaining mind you, the squad we have now are capable of getting to the final,,but its winning that counts ,,that last extra push of asking the same players week in week out to go all out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,what about injuries,,,the more i think of it the more im convinced ,,for us to win the g.f. we need those 3/4 players throughout the season to keep the momentum going,,think next seson will be harder than last year,we know cas and widnes look to have strengthened,never mind them there is also the likes of doncaster/halifax/leigh/batley/rochdale,,,all of these seem to be a threat for next season,

Putting the fulltime teams to one side for a moment which players that Donny/ fax/ Batley or Rochdale have signed would/ are better than existing Haven players?? Probably not many if any

Offline mr hopefull

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 02 Nov 2006, 07:31:52 pm

Putting the fulltime teams to one side for a moment which players that Donny/ fax/ Batley or Rochdale have signed would/ are better than existing Haven players?? Probably not many if any

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2006, 10:08:40 am

Based on the fact that we were third best in NL1 last year ...we gain something for continuity  we can reasonably expect to be putting up a greater challenge next year. 

having finished the previous year 1st and the year before that 2nd< or joint top if you prefer>
last season was not as good a year as the previous years!
FORGET injuries, posts on here are claiming we have STRENGTH in depth, so injuries can not be used as an excuse, up to press we have not strengthened a squad that wasn't good enough last seaon and unless we do we will not be competing for the Grand Final
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2006, 06:53:32 pm

Based on the fact that we were third best in NL1 last year ...we gain something for continuity  we can reasonably expect to be putting up a greater challenge next year. 

having finished the previous year 1st and the year before that 2nd< or joint top if you prefer>
last season was not as good a year as the previous years!
FORGET injuries, posts on here are claiming we have STRENGTH in depth, so injuries can not be used as an excuse, up to press we have not strengthened a squad that wasn't good enough last seaon and unless we do we will not be competing for the Grand Final

Problem  was  last  year  we  had  3  fulltime  teams  to  compete  against.  The  year  before  we  only  had  1.

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2006, 10:15:56 pm
so what you are saying is we were the best of a bad heap?

2 seasons against 1 full time team and we finished 2nd and 1st, one season against 3 full time teams we finished 4th!
so next year when donny are full time too you're sayin we will finish 5th?

the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense

Offline wizard

• Academy Signing
Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2006, 10:29:28 pm
good post big man i predict 4 th for haven cass first widnes second donny third have fourth.im not often wrong

haven1985

Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2006, 01:18:45 pm
i think you will be wrong marra donny wont be third i say about 5 or 6 for donny.. we will be 3rd and i am never really wrong

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2006, 02:00:19 pm
2nd for haven behind cas just widnes 3rd leigh 4th donny 5th fax 6th
haven till i die

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2006, 04:43:46 pm
good post big man i predict 4 th for haven cass first widnes second donny third have fourth.im not often wrong

thanks wizard!
hope we are both wrong and we win the whole damn thing but i just dont see it, even our "coach" doesnt seem to think we need to strengthen a squad which wasnt good enough this season!!

oh boy we got us a beaut there!
the reverand, big mac

havenchamps2005

Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2006, 04:56:51 pm
i think we should try rob jackson and spencer as are second rowers with craig hodgson and scott mcavoy as the centres if this doesnt work then go and buy a good young second rower ie clough (st.helens) lee mossop (wigan) or an aussie or kiwi with an eu passport

Offline mr hopefull

• First Team Backup
Reply #14 on: 05 Nov 2006, 07:44:12 am
looking through last years first team squad, and possibilities coming through the under 21 team ,, maybe D.R.has got it right not to sign on any more players just yet.i suppose the young lads have to make the step up at some point,,and IF,,,(and thats a big IF) key players do not suffer injuries then maybe we should stick  with our home grown talent,,,,,loking at starting line up and possible replacements........................................
broadbent
calvert
seeds
r.jackson
maden
mattinson
duffy
fats
a.smith
trindall
miller
mcavoy
rudd
subs/ sice--m.jackson--hill--lester

others/ baynes?-farmer-wright-joe-lebbon-benson-eilbeck-hodgson-elsley-bainbridge-daniel smith..

im sure all the others mentioned will figure in the first team at some point...................................................

quite a good squad eh,lets hope (and im sure they will) the younger end of the squad are ready for the challenge,