HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Gary Hewer gone afterall???

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
on: 15 Oct 2007, 12:16:08 pm
According to today's News and Star, Gary has gone to Derwent Park afterall;

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/viewarticle.aspx?id=553460
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2007, 01:21:05 pm
**** hope he dont take any our acadamy players with him

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:09:23 pm
No one person is bigger than the club. It is a disapointment that he is going, but not the end of the world! I have said on here before, anyone who chooses to drop down a division, either (a) knows that his chosen club is really going places and ours is on the decline, or (b) he lacks ambition. I think its the latter. Is he going to be part of the new DP dream team with Rotheram? Good luck to him because he will need it! Again if the acadamy lads want to go to Town then let them! Why worry about who wants to leave the club. Lets put our energy into our new coach and the people who WANT to play for Haven and move us forward. Rotheram is history and IF he has jumped ship, so is Hewer.

Offline town4me

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 15 Oct 2007, 02:28:15 pm
our league position last year partonmarra was a big improvement  and under difficult circumstances ie the coaching situation and losing a number of key players ,so maybe it could be option A  that you mentioned. it can only be better for cumbrian RL that DR and GH "if" he is coming to town take us into NL1 . although if it is option A only the first part i dont think haven will go into decline and will still be top   4 in  NL1

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:30:03 pm
Exclusive in tonight's News & Star - Gary Hewer joins Town after all to become Dave Rotheram's number 2.    It's like Mitchell's Auctions, what am I bid next?????
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:36:53 pm
Come on everyone let's have a little sense of fair play on here.    Dave Rotheram never "jumped ship" from Haven.   He asked for an answer to the question of whther his contract was to be renewed and the answer was "No".     There was a job going at Town, he put in for it and the rest is history as they say.   I think those people that know Gary Hewer will tell you that he is not only a good coach but also a very good community worker.   I don't profess to know why he has had the change of heart and no doubt the tales will start about Town offering more money, etc, but the fact is that HE has chosen to follow DR to Town and instead of being called ambitionless he should be congratulated for all the good work he has been doing at Haven.    I just hope he does the same good work for Town and then we will have two strong teams in the NL1.

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:37:56 pm
What made him change his mind then??

Offline forty twenty

• First Team Backup
Reply #7 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:38:11 pm
can we belive what we are told by  the bod.? we get gary hewer on contract  then he off to donkey park . we a laughing stock off rugby league now :'(

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:46:41 pm
Everyone knows DR wasn't offered a new contract at Haven (thank GOD) keith, and nobody, certainly not me anyway, denies the good work he has put in! But why now and why Town?
SOMETHING has made him change his mind after (allegedly) agreeing a new deal. What EXACTLY is the Haven BOD playing at?
Could it have something to do with money, if so why and HOW? If not, and if it's because his loyalties lie elsewhere, then fine, good luck to him and lets move on!!

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 15 Oct 2007, 03:58:45 pm
he has coached me before and he isnt even that good of a coach to be honest i know peolel will come on and say the things he ahs achieved haven scholarship and academy coach england U15's but i think alot of that has to do with hes community work of which he does alot of
haven till i die

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 15 Oct 2007, 04:00:15 pm
What made him change his mind then??

MONEY MONEY MONEY  LOL  ;D ;D but i guess we will never know if he has played both clubs a blinder to get himself a better deal.

Another crack is PC didn't rate him as a no2 and told him he would be working with the youth and Hewer spit the dummy out.

All rumours but we will never know the truth
« Last Edit: 15 Oct 2007, 04:33:35 pm by shavenhaven »

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 15 Oct 2007, 05:14:21 pm
My information is that it has nothing to do with the money side of things.  It appears that the job he was being offered at Haven wasn't quite what he was expecting and that, I am told, is why he has changed his mind.

Whatever, as I said before, it is Gary Hewer's decision and I don't see why, every time someone leaves Haven, he suddenly become useless or whatever, after he has been doing an excellent job for your club.     

We have a young female community marketing manager, who was at the Copeland Stadium, just started at Town and she has impressed many people already.  I am sure that Gary Hewer, her and Les Ashe will form a formidable team on the community development and the marketing of Town for the future.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 15 Oct 2007, 05:52:45 pm
i have alway though he was a poor coach since he coached me on the scholarship scheme
haven till i die

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #13 on: 15 Oct 2007, 09:50:41 pm
Seems obvious to me :-

He (GH) would have been down the coaching pecking order at Whitehaven  now that PC has arrived ....and he (GH) didn't want t/ like that.

BOD should have waited until new coach came in anyway before offering GH the job they did... .... if he (PC) is going to be his own man and make a big difference with the youths in the club, he obviously needs his own men (coaches) in place .... not the ones the BOD chose prior to his coming

It's not rocket science to understand why he would want to leave if DR is going to make him second in command at Town.

DR is doing the same as PC .... that is getting his own men in place.

I think it bodes well for 'haven .... PC is laying his stall out to do things his way.

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 16 Oct 2007, 03:44:43 pm
some of u make me laff. we woulda loved gary to still be at the club. top coach tactically and man management wise. it a big loss him goin but he has a better role at town so fair play o him for going nothing wrong wih that.
cheers for all uve done gaz an i would say good luck except i hae town lol