HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

new players.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #15 on: 17 Oct 2007, 07:41:13 pm
Give it a break will you lot talking about young lads going into the first team and doing well.

Anyone who knows RL is fully aware that you blood young players with potential in ONE's and TWO's only and in an experienced team ... Otherwise if you overdo it (more than ONE or TWO), then the team gets thumped because there are not sufficient experienced players to hold the game together around the youngsters.

Getting thumped results in young players loosing confidence and finally commitment and interest.

We need a good experienced team that can hold its own and include only ONE or TWO younger players (who have the bottle and potential) at any one time.

Come on lets have a bit of realism about the quality of our current acadamy team. Two max three will break through next year if we're lucky.
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2007, 07:43:27 pm by cbandg01 »

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 17 Oct 2007, 07:52:57 pm
Give it a break will you lot talking about young lads going into the first team and doing well.

Anyone who knows RL is fully aware that you blood young players with potential in ONE's and TWO's only and in an experienced team ... Otherwise if you overdo it (more than ONE or TWO), then the team gets thumped because there are not sufficient experienced players to hold the game together around the youngsters.

Getting thumped results in young players loosing confidence and finally commitment and interest.

We need a good experienced team that can hold its own and include only ONE or TWO younger players (who have the bottle and potential) at any one time.

Come on lets have a bit of realism about the quality of our current academy team. Two max three will break through next year if we're lucky.

Which post says that we should play loads of young lads?

I must have missed it !!!!!!!

If you have your finger on the pulse and know the club you will realise that there are only a few gaps in our first team squad. For example:

1. GB
2. Calvert
3. R Jackson
4. GAP
5. GAP
6. Finch
7. Duffy
8. Fats
9. Matty
10. Edmondson
11. Fletcher
12. S McAvoy
13. Rudd

14. Sice
15. Hill
16. Joe
17. M Jackson

So by my reckoning we need to use a few academy lads to fill a couple of gaps and to move into the team when there are some injuries. However the season hasn't started yet, so there may be more signings yet, WHO KNOWS?

The lads need to given a chance so that they could become good squad members and start to develop for the future. That is why we need to give some of them some games when the time is right !!!!!

ANZAC

Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:06:07 pm
Chorley Blue and Gold that team you picked may be good enough to "keep us in this divison" if they all went through the season without injuries. But the reality is up to four or five could be out at anyone time in which case we would be relegated as the back up wouldn't be good enough.

Offline mega570

• Academy Signing
Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:18:57 pm
i think i know why anzac is so down and miserable,his log on name is really PROZAC.....

• First Team Regular
Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2007, 08:22:23 pm
Chorley Blue and Gold that team you picked may be good enough to "keep us in this divison" if they all went through the season without injuries. But the reality is up to four or five could be out at anyone time in which case we would be relegated as the back up wouldn't be good enough.

So as our squad currently stands the best case scenario for next year is to finish 8th on the last day of the season and the worst case scenario is to finish 9th or 10th.

God, I'm looking forward to next year  ;D

P.S. Well we will just have to wait and see !!!  ;D

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:33:02 pm
Most recently Chorley Blue and Gold and Haven Lad 06 seem to be heading that way (above) ... as have others in other post threads.

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:35:42 pm
derrie eilbeck is the best centre at this club and he aint even mentioned in that team

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:46:25 pm
Most recently Chorley Blue and Gold and Haven Lad 06 seem to be heading that way (above) ... as have others in other post threads.

it is a key part of the season tho isnt it. we are not pushing to win the league to try and gain a franchise this year. we have 4 years until we can be hoping for that so lets us the time to structure the club fancially, with a stadium, youth wise and as a buisness. now if we do that then im more than happy just surviving this season. if we are in this situation in a few years time then we need to worry but for now lets not panic like some people on here seem to be doing.
u all called for DR to go and then have complained now he has bou a new coach. its a time of change at the club so lets stay behind them and let these changes happen without unrealistic expectations putin pressure on people. it the long run not the short run im bothered about

• First Team Regular
Reply #23 on: 18 Oct 2007, 08:11:39 am

I think you will find that ANZAC is putting that scenario forward NOT me. I was only clarifying what he was saying in his usual doom and gloom post that was quoted.

I have no idea where we will finish as we don't know the make up of our squad for next year yet !!!!!!!

Offline Ryan

• First Team Backup
Reply #24 on: 18 Oct 2007, 01:15:13 pm
Eilbeck was our most improved player last year and was wrongly dropped, he may not be the biggest person on the field but he scored more tries that rob jackson and made just as many mistakes as rob jackson did.

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2007, 03:02:58 pm
In reply to Haven 09. Bret Mcdermott was over the hill when he left whitehaven for Barrow. Yes he has been a decent player in his younger days but what qualities do you see him bringing to the team next season. Where's your ambition man. If you're going to fantasize about players you think would strengthen the team then you must be easy pleased if you think Brett can do agood job.

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2007, 05:26:08 pm
Bret Mcdermott was over the hill when he left whitehaven for Barrow.

I don't know about him being over the hill.

He's still only 28 or 29 and now playing prop.
I reckon he'd do a decent job for us there.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2007, 05:31:28 pm
fact brett is probably the hardest tackling player in the national leagues so with that in mind id take him back just for his defensive workrate

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #28 on: 18 Oct 2007, 11:05:07 pm
matthew stephenson is my name jammy dodger and derrie eilbeck is the best centre at this club just because my opinion is difrrent to yours didnt see rob jackson doing alot of talkling last season  and david seeds didnt do alot of passsing either knock derrie all you want he is playing pro rugby are you ? we can knock players all day long but until youve been there and done it yourself dont judge me included

Offline Whitehaven Lad

• Academy Signing
Reply #29 on: 18 Oct 2007, 11:21:53 pm
Haven 09 you are wasting your breath regarding McDermott.Most people don't understand what a defensive second row adds to a team.The popular opinion is if a second row doesn't score he doesn't warrant a place in the side.Just shows how different peoples opinions are.I would have him back in a flash.Shame we lost him in the first place.