HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

new players.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #30 on: 19 Oct 2007, 01:31:14 am
agreed whitehaven lad, look at nathan hindmarsh for the parramatta eels and australia he is a tackling machine doesnt score that many tries people appreciate his efforts didnt he make something like 56-60 tackles in a game once?

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #31 on: 19 Oct 2007, 08:28:58 am
brett was awesome last time he was with us. he better than havin ricky wright watever age he his so i say go 4 it

Offline Denis Peare

• Academy Signing
Reply #32 on: 19 Oct 2007, 09:02:22 am
Forget about  Brett McDermott he's re-signed for Barrow with  Nick Beach  Lee Dutton  Mike Whithead  and  Adam Hughes.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #33 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:25:15 pm
how long is it going to take for us to start signing these "exciting players" that are "in the pipeline? we need to sign some quality soon all the decent players will be gone by the time we sign anybody
haven till i die

Offline barney

• Academy Signing
Reply #34 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:43:17 pm
how long is it going to take for us to start signing these "exciting players" that are "in the pipeline? we need to sign some quality soon all the decent players will be gone by the time we sign anybody

I seem to remember last season the same was said about quality players and late on we signed a certain Richard Fletcher

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #35 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:45:14 pm
we need more than 1 player this time  and dont forget we also signed baldrick too lol

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #36 on: 19 Oct 2007, 05:54:16 pm
well said dal maca we need 4 maybe 5 top quality players if we are going to compete next season and i dont care what anybody says we need to be up with the top 3 or 4 teams next season its no good for us to drop down to 6th or 7th just because we cant get into super league if we drop down to the lower places in the league the attendance will drop and we will struggle to get it back up when/if we do eventuallt go for super league
haven till i die

Offline barney

• Academy Signing
Reply #37 on: 19 Oct 2007, 07:29:24 pm
well said dal maca we need 4 maybe 5 top quality players if we are going to compete next season and i dont care what anybody says we need to be up with the top 3 or 4 teams next season its no good for us to drop down to 6th or 7th just because we cant get into super league if we drop down to the lower places in the league the attendance will drop and we will struggle to get it back up when/if we do eventuallt go for super league

So should we overspend and end up like Doncaster, widnes ???? next year Halifax and Leigh will probably go bust to as they are overspending.
We need to keep real and remember we only have low crowds so we can only spend whats coming in which is not a great deal.

Offline leytherjay

• Academy Star
Reply #38 on: 19 Oct 2007, 07:58:59 pm
So should we overspend and end up like Doncaster, widnes ???? next year Halifax and Leigh will probably go bust to as they are overspending.
We need to keep real and remember we only have low crowds so we can only spend whats coming in which is not a great deal.
[/quote]

Sorry to dissapoint you guts but we are nowhere near the salary cap limit. We have released around 15 players at end of the season and have brought around 10 in so far.

Next season we are part time only so contracts are not as much as the season just ended, more spare csh means we can afford better players on PT contracts. Plenty cash left for more signings and our coach as allready stated that we wont use the full salary cap next season,

I think he is saving some cash incase he wants to bring any loan players in mid-season to cover injuries.

justonelilpoint

Reply #39 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:01:05 am
Let see now....we've lost 6 players so far on last seasons squad
Lester,Seeds,Trindall,Baldwin,Maden and Smith
1 of which went half way through season

so lets assume we now need 5 players to replace them
We've brought in Edmondson and Finch and the overseas place will no doubt be filled
so in reality we two players short now on last seasons squad.
You could argue who is Finch replacing ?...well i'd say he's replacing Smith a hooker who we didnt need when we had Mattinson and Sice. Who now gives us cover and competivness at Half back.
Yes most players over here are now being snapped up....How do you know the players we speaking too arent overseas players who are none quota ?
Could be just a case of getting visas sorted or whatever before announcing anyone.
With likes of Stan,Reddy and Sharp searching down under we could possibly unearth some great finds.
we seem to get more value from lads wanting to come over here and prove themselves , than some of the merry go round mercenaries who annually jump from club to club for the cash.

and before anyone says it...I know if Fletch and Duffy go they are big gaps to fill...But just at this moment they ARE still Haven players!

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #40 on: 20 Oct 2007, 03:24:23 am
http://www.reds.co.uk/squad/gower.html

he would be a good signing imo seen him a few times last season playing on sky with salford,always looking to take the ball forward when he did he looked strong and his defence looked sound only 20 non quota player, salford havent retained him dont know why but i think he would be a good addition to are squad

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #41 on: 20 Oct 2007, 11:59:08 am

i didnt say we should overspend i just think we need 4 or 5 quality players as others have said 6 have gone who will all have been on top wages so the money is there i obviously dont want us to go down the road of donny and widnes but i also dont want to see us dropping down the league because we are bothered about competing in the top 3/4 positions
haven till i die

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #42 on: 20 Oct 2007, 01:01:46 pm
Thats right haven lad theres a difference in what widnes done to getting a few class players and hopefully the bod and PC will get some decent players. ;)

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #43 on: 25 Oct 2007, 11:30:54 am
I  did  hear from very  good  source  that  there  could  be  an  announcement  soon on  2  and  possibly  3  new  signings.  Could  be  next  week. ;)

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
Reply #44 on: 25 Oct 2007, 01:12:27 pm
Did you read that on the back page of the Whitehaven News ??