HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

quota spot

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
on: 16 Oct 2007, 08:15:09 pm
with cresta knowing rod renney down at the parramatta eels, it looks like they have 2 good half backs in that team james maloney and blake green could they be tempted over? or will cresta bring the 2nd rower he wanted to take over to barrow and make him are quota player tim wynn ?

just some info on blake green
http://www.parraeels.com.au/teaminfo/playerprofile.asp?ID=9

wynn and maloney dont have them as they didnt play for the first grade team in the nrl last season but this lad blake green did
« Last Edit: 16 Oct 2007, 08:25:01 pm by haven09 »

ANZAC

Reply #1 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:00:20 pm
We only need a half back if the BOD agree to release Duffy.  If thye don't release him then the quota spot would be wasted on a half back.  Lose Forward would be my preference.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:21:32 pm
well then i think tym wynn would do a job there can play 2nd row or loose forward and cresta wanted to take him to barrow

ANZAC

Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:23:30 pm
Whats his credentials how many fisrt grade appearances?

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:25:09 pm
not sure id have to check the eels site stats could be like sam obsts tandys pennys and summers a few nrl appararences very highley rated by rod renney from what i can remember reading last season

ANZAC

Reply #5 on: 16 Oct 2007, 09:57:49 pm
Just checked Wynn is not the of quality we need he has never been near first grade and in fact seems to warm the bench in jersey flegg/ premier league in most matches.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #6 on: 16 Oct 2007, 10:04:27 pm
as did summers he warmed the bench in the premier league. but there is bound to be a loose forward in the premier league or jersey flegg who could do a job for us

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 16 Oct 2007, 11:01:57 pm
I Haven would attract a Premier League player unless he is older and has not spent much time in first grade. Why, the players would be waiting and working to secure a spot in NRL for good money etc. A quilty young Jersey Flegg player would do the same as he will not get seen by the NRL in Haven, the place a player would be wanting to go??
Does it not come down to an older player getting close to the end of playing career or a young player that is not in the top flight grade??
thoughts?

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 17 Oct 2007, 01:35:34 am
sam obst 24 when he came over stil young he was quality how old was tandy 24?

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 17 Oct 2007, 10:52:31 am
Sorry i meant players in the running for a first grade spot in NRL in the future, which most good flegg and premier are??
Do not get me wrong but i could not  imagine any player that even had a slight chance of making it in an NRL 1st grade side coming to NL??

Offline cumbria 1

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 17 Oct 2007, 11:43:14 am
have we all turnd into scouts you never no what these players are like intil they come over hear look at franco kemet he looked awsome on paper. You have to remember most of the players that come to national league teams  from australia are players that carnt get on decent teams in their home country . Dont get wrong you some times get lucky sos/leroy/lester/obst/penny/  but looking at otheer teams you normaly get some one over rated and over paid

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 18 Oct 2007, 04:12:44 am
id take this lad plays loose forward played for the aussie schoolboys

http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=2&ssec=2&pid=122&prid=2&yr=2007

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 18 Oct 2007, 06:52:21 am
My whole point is, if we get someone young that will come for the money the chances are{99%} they are not of a topflight quality or they would not come! The best bet is older ones that have played NRL and or SL and are looking for a chance to play part time and display the same quality. In the real world a young player would only come if he had no chance of playing 1st grade NRL etc unless he is stupid or wants a holiday!I am a realist and know that you don't go backwood to go forward!
The choice is either a second rate under 28 years old player from the NRL or a quality older player for the last few years of his playing career! If miracles happen and we got a young brilliant player, he would only be here for a couple of years at best before he went off for the money{as he should as you only have a short period to make your money out of the game as a player!}.

Think of it like a job, as that is what it is!

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 18 Oct 2007, 09:02:56 am
they might come with a view of trying to impress sl clubs like laal sam. if they go after 1 season so be it but if we could get 1 year out of any player in the same bracket as sam that would do me
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 18 Oct 2007, 11:12:39 am
sam is a hard person to replace true classy lil player