HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Mick Nanyn.

007 · 22 · 2397

Offline 007

• Academy Signing
on: 24 Oct 2007, 11:02:57 am
Has shown how ambitious he is and signed for NL2 side Oldham Roughyeds on a 2 year deal.

Offline HavenWarrior

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2007, 11:25:39 am
Obvoiuosly gone for the money, nice to see a Rugby Player getting his priorities right, money first, money second, money thats all that counts.

Just another Rugby Mercenary !!!!

TW

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:04:17 pm
i cant believe hes actually dropped down a division he must have had some pretty decent offers from NL1 clubs
haven till i die

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:07:07 pm
from www.roughyeds.co.uk

POINTS machine Mick Nanyn, one of the sport's biggest names outside of Super League, has signed a two-year deal for ambitious NL2 side Oldham Roughyeds.

The signing was clinched late last night and announced this morning by the club's chief executive Chris Hamilton.

Whitehaven, Widnes, Halifax, Workington and Barrow, among others, were also tracking the huge 25-year-old goalkicking centre, but Oldham got their man when he put pen to paper to follow another experienced centre, Danny Halliwell, to Boundary Park.

Elder brother of former Roughyeds prop Danny Nanyn, Mick has loose Oldham connections, given that his dad, Mick snr, was an Oldhamer who played for Saddleworth Rangers in his youth and later signed for Wigan.

He married and settled in Wigan, hence the Nanyn boys, Mick and Danny, were brought up as Wiganers, where they live to this day.

The Roughyeds' latest big-name capture, Mick has played for Swinton, Rochdale, Whitehaven and Widnes and has smashed club points records at every club he has been with. He took the Widnes record off Jonathan Davies in 2006.

The Vikings website shows that he played 29 games in the season just ended, scoring 28 tries and kicking 161 goals for a points haul of 434.

He also has the distinction of having played in each of the last four NL1 Grand Finals, two for Whitehaven and two for Widnes.

He is an established and proven left-side centre and a highly accomplished replacement for Adam Hughes. Halliwell will be earmarked for the right side of the field.

Like each of the other new signings -- Tommy Goulden, Halliwell and Tommy Grundy -- Nanyn has signed for two years, which is further indication that chairman Bill Quinn and his fellow directors Chris Hamilton and Sean Whitehead have a long-term vision for the club which lies way beyond NL2.

Mr Hamilton was quoted thus in last night's Oldham Evening Chronicle, when announcing the signing of Grundy: "Bill (chairman) has made it clear that we want to be out of this division and we are bringing in the players who will help to achieve that.

"If we do go up, then these lads will be in the second year of their deals which will help add continuity and will also mean that we are not starting from scratch. It is also an indication of the players' ambitions, too."

Commenting today on the Nanyn signing, Mr Hamilton said the club had been talking to him for a while but the signing was completed only last night.

He added: "He's a points machine -- not only a very accomplished goalkicker, but a centre who scores more than his fair share of tries as well.

"Over the last four or five years he has undoubtedly been one of the best and most consistent players in the upper reaches of NL1.

"He's a big unit as well, and he will bring lots of attributes to the club. We are obviously delighted to land him, given that we faced a huge amount of competition for his services, as one would expect.

"Mick knows about our club, of course, from his brother Danny. And he has absolutely no qualms about dropping down to NL2 because he, like us, believes that the Oldham club is on the up, up, up.

"He sees NL2 as a temporary measure only and he is really looking forward to the challenge of helping us to win promotion."

๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline fluffy

• First Team Backup
  • Haven in the pink :P ^^
Reply #4 on: 24 Oct 2007, 12:35:35 pm
garn mick lad !!!!!!!!! :D bit of a difference like ha ha
We've got this place rocking now girls !!! ;)

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #5 on: 24 Oct 2007, 03:59:10 pm
he likes being a big fish in a small pond. makes him feel good. shame on the lack of ambition or he could he a good player

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #6 on: 24 Oct 2007, 06:04:09 pm
have we lost out again? nanyn to oldham and goddard to halifax. everyone seems busy apart from us. having said that i have heard that we are very close to announcing some new signings. anybody heard anything about a non quota overseas player that is meant to be coming?
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 24 Oct 2007, 06:51:06 pm
yeah heard we are meant to be announcing the signing of a tongan fella sometime this week we will need a few more then that though to compete this season
haven till i die

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #8 on: 24 Oct 2007, 06:59:59 pm
According to tomorrows Whitehaven News we are close to announcing THREE signings - so maybe we are not lagging behind

๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 24 Oct 2007, 07:18:27 pm
if thats true and we keep duffy (which looks more then likely) and fletch then we wont have done to bad (if they are good players)
haven till i die

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 24 Oct 2007, 07:18:44 pm
According to tomorrows Whitehaven News we are close to announcing THREE signings - so maybe we are not lagging behind

i was "close" to winning the lottery last saturday!!!

i'll believe it when i see it
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #11 on: 24 Oct 2007, 07:25:54 pm
good old mick gone for money money money ! ! ! !  ::) ::) ::)

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #12 on: 24 Oct 2007, 07:34:49 pm
good old mick gone for money money money ! ! ! !  ::) ::) ::)

mick nanyn = human being = person who needs to eat, needs to have somewhere to live etc etc, just like the rest of us...................how many other people would turn down probably the best financial offer they got for a job?..HONESTLY!! ;)
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 24 Oct 2007, 08:54:23 pm
Whatever people think of  Mick  no one can dispute that hewas an intergral part of both Whitehaven's GF teams a couple of years ago. Who knows what his reasons are for signing fo Oldham.

To potential players looking at Haven from the outside i doubt we look like an attractive prospect. Any player we do sign will be coming here for money and very little else.

May i also add that at the moment Oldham are a far more ambitious package than Haven. With very little money, a poor ground and dwindling support we might struggle to sign anyone of Nanyn's ilk ever again.

Offline shavenhaven

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 24 Oct 2007, 09:38:18 pm
Whatever people think of  Mick  no one can dispute that hewas an intergral part of both Whitehaven's GF teams a couple of years ago. Who knows what his reasons are for signing fo Oldham.

To potential players looking at Haven from the outside i doubt we look like an attractive prospect. Any player we do sign will be coming here for money and very little else.

May i also add that at the moment Oldham are a far more ambitious package than Haven. With very little money, a poor ground and dwindling support we might struggle to sign anyone of Nanyn's ilk ever again.

Got to disagree about the signing of nanyn's like again.
Only last season we signed Fletch who is twice the player Mick is or ever will be, We are also talking to 3 very good players can't name them but if true you will not be upset infact you will be over the moon.
Mick was a good player for us but he has showed his ambition signing for a nl2 team when plenty nl1 sides would have offered the same money as Oldham.

Try getting behind the club instead of knocking them or would you rather we spend what we havent got and end up like Doncaster and Widnes