HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Cassidy signs for Barrow

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 01 Nov 2007, 12:32:30 am
From the North West Evening Mail

BARROW Raiders have pulled off a coup by signing former Super League hard-man forward Mick Cassidy on a one-year deal.

Ex-GB Test second-row Cassidy, 34, emerged as a linchpin forward with the all-conquering Wigan side of the 1990s before moving to Widnes Vikings.

The blond pack ace was named Vikings player-of-the-year in 2005.

Directors are expected to announce a new Craven Park head coach later.

Full story in Thursday's Evening Mail.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 01 Nov 2007, 10:05:28 am
well they are certainly showing ambition but mick cassidy at 34 ? 1 or 2 years too late in my opinion. hope im wrong but i think hes just a laal bit to old to make a big impact .ps unless he has his coaching badges and is going to be player coach? that could be interesting
« Last Edit: 01 Nov 2007, 11:09:31 am by silver shadow »
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 01 Nov 2007, 11:32:26 am
Was Bull too old for Haven at 34 in NL1?    Cassidy is a player who always seemed to keep himself fit and I personally think he will prove to be a good signing for Barrow in NL2.      It depends on what influence he can bring to the younger players, such as laying off the booze up to 3 days before a match, etc, and many other good lifestyle benefits he will have picked up from playing so long with Wigan.    I think most people in the game would call him a model proffessional and if he can bring into a club a professional attitude so much the better.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 01 Nov 2007, 12:02:08 pm
I agree i think he will do a good job at barrow will also give the team a boost

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 01 Nov 2007, 02:29:27 pm
dont think bull was 34 when he signed tho keith. and  i honestly hope he turns out to be an inspirational signing for barrow he has a good pedigree
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 01 Nov 2007, 07:53:04 pm
dave clark has been named as barrow coach he is a former barrow player and he will be assisted by dean marwood ex barrow and town ace kicker. so cassidy must have just been signed to play. good luck to them and i hope they finish 2nd in the nrc group
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 01 Nov 2007, 09:40:38 pm
if its the same person i am thinking of he coached me at the regional matches a few years ago he is only young if its him was a good coach though
haven till i die

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 01 Nov 2007, 11:33:22 pm
dave clark has been named as barrow coach he is a former barrow player and he will be assisted by dean marwood ex barrow and town ace kicker. so cassidy must have just been signed to play. good luck to them and i hope they finish 2nd in the nrc group

Now you're in trouble with the other Haven fans.     Fancy hoping that Haven will finish 3rd.    ;D ;D ;D
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 02 Nov 2007, 09:08:16 am
nice one marra never thought of it like that. you cant beat that for being very optomistic. seriously though i think it will be more competetive than the last few years  ;D
NO PAIN NO GAIN