HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

McCormack Back At Widnes

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
on: 02 Nov 2007, 09:13:02 pm
Stevie Mac has signed a two year deal for Widnes just days after signing as assistant for Hull KR and after turning down Barrow.

Taken from www.widnesvikings.co.uk

Steve McCormack is returning to Widnes Vikings as Head Coach after agreeing a two- year contract with the club?s new owner Steve O?Connor.

McCormack left the club only weeks ago after narrowly failing to take Widnes Vikings into the Super League with the club being forced into administration and losing many of its star players.

But within hours of taking the helm at Widnes Vikings yesterday, O?Connor moved swiftly to secure the services of McCormack ? the man he believes that, given the right resources, can lead the team back to the Super League.

In the past two seasons McCormack, 34, a former National League Coach of the Year, had twice put Widnes in touching distance of a treasured Super League slot but left to become assistant at Hull Kingston Rovers.

McCormack said: ?I?m absolutely delighted to be back with Widnes and to have the opportunity to take the Vikings on to even greater success in the future. When I recently announced my reluctant departure from the club it came at a time when I genuinely felt I?d taken them as far as possible under the Vikings? existing structure.

?With the change of ownership ? and the new financial structure of the club ? I believe this is a fantastic time to be involved with the Vikings. Knowing the many strengths of the club, the unrivalled devotion of its fans plus the commitment shown by Steve O?Connor, I just couldn?t resist the opportunity to get back in charge. The Vikings really are on the march again!?

O?Connor said: ?Steve McCormack has done a tremendous job at Widnes over the past couple of seasons in very difficult circumstances. I?m convinced he?s the right man to take the club into the Super League and we will provide him the resources necessary to challenge for the very top honours. Steve knows the club, is popular with the fans and has the ability and experience to make this club great again.

?Steve?s appointment is just the first important step to secure the future of this club. I?m working around-the-clock to develop our business plan and intend to share my vision with the Vikings? greatest asset ? our supporters ? over the coming weeks.?

O?Connor added: ?I would like to place on record my appreciation to the directors of Hull Kingston Rovers for their understanding in allowing Steve McCormack to return to the Vikings so soon after joining Hull.?

O?Connor, a familiar and respected figure in the Halton business community, recently sold his shares in his highly successful Widnes-based rail freight and logistics company, O?Connor Group, to Stobart Group in a multi-million-pound deal. He is now responsible for developing the Stobart?s brand across the North-West.

Working in partnership with Halton Borough Council, O?Connor has initially pledged ?250,000 to guarantee the immediate future of the club, which will trade as a new company, on top of a five-figure sum he paid to secure the rights of the Widnes Vikings? brand.

Now O?Connor and Halton Borough Council Chief Executive David Parr are undertaking a complete overhaul of the entire operation to ensure the long-term future viability of the club which plays its matches in the council-owned Halton Stadium.

Cllr Tony McDermott, Leader of Halton Council, welcomed the signing of Steve McCormack. He said: "Steve has a proven track record and is well respected in the game by players and officials. Steve's return offers a real opportunity to take the Vikings back to the Super League. We are looking forward to working with him."

O?Connor, Mr Parr and their advisers are due to meet senior officials at the Rugby Football League headquarters in Leeds early next week to outline their short-term proposals for the club and their longer-term vision.

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #1 on: 02 Nov 2007, 10:28:35 pm
 It's a funny old game eh Flannerz.  :D :D
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline natas

• Academy Signing
Reply #2 on: 03 Nov 2007, 07:49:34 am
No not to us! Go to Trust in Widness site. Mc Cormack has returned to Widnes!!

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 03 Nov 2007, 08:20:54 am
Good job that we didnt re-sign him before we got Crarey because it is in my opinion he will desert us again to go back to Widnes if we do re-sign him! We need to move forward and support Crary 100% and hope he will do a great job for us. Give him a chance.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #4 on: 03 Nov 2007, 11:08:06 am
poor old mick nanyn he is going to have to pine away at oldham for 2 years without his uncle steve. maybe widnes players are wishing they had,nt jumped ship so soon. unlucky
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 03 Nov 2007, 11:48:19 am
poor old mick nanyn he is going to have to pine away at oldham for 2 years without his uncle steve. maybe widnes players are wishing they had,nt jumped ship so soon. unlucky

halarius

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 03 Nov 2007, 12:25:31 pm

Wouldn't suprise me if Mick doesn't actually play a game for Oldham. Could be another Ryan McDonald! ::)

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 03 Nov 2007, 12:57:06 pm

Do we care?
Should we care?
I don't care!!!!

ANZAC

Reply #8 on: 03 Nov 2007, 02:39:52 pm
Only to the extent that now Widnes are back up and running ....they  ;-  Widnes / Mcormack are looking for props and centres just like we are and the fact that he is spending the entire week with Richard Flectcher as the coach of the Scotland squad!

We have lost our first choice prop target to a NL club already this week.

Offline hensingham boy

• First Team Backup
  • win or lose on the booze
Reply #9 on: 03 Nov 2007, 02:46:55 pm
he's back and as positive as ever!!!!!! really missed you pal.

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2007, 11:39:56 am
who was our 1st choice prop target marra? i too fear that widnes could pinch players from under our noses
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2007, 05:02:39 pm
Haven't Haven just signed Ryan MacDonald.     Why hasn't it been announced.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2007, 06:16:09 pm
bllody hope not ginger jam eater lol

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:02:39 pm
if thats true im gutted
NO PAIN NO GAIN