HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Ryan macdonald

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 04 Nov 2007, 06:54:59 pm
lots of rumours going round we have signed him, well BOD i hope you are joking

after announcing in the paper we were on the verge of signing 3 quality players that would make the fans happy we have signed

1)a winger , a good prospect from NL2 who is still unproven at this level
2)and now rumours of a over the hill ,injury prone, average prop in his day ryan macdonald

sorry but this is yet more proof of going for the season on the cheap, i call quality player nanyn, wilkes, gannon who by all accounts we talked to and made offers to, if we cant get them then i would look over seas or give the youngsters a chance rather than signing the likes of maca
so much for going for youth

over to you BOD
« Last Edit: 05 Nov 2007, 04:07:49 am by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 04 Nov 2007, 07:18:54 pm
ginger boy is as good as any prop outside SL on his day, or well he was, he is the mould of a adrian moron or a nowadays sam burgess ie likes his high tackles, however i would not like him or welcome him to whitehaven after he **** on us a couple of seasons ago when he signed then changed his mind cuz it was too far for the poor wee lad to travel, didums doo wee man! :'( :'( :'(

no sorry we dont want or need a player like him, and plus he's a highsider too!! ;)
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

ANZAC

Reply #2 on: 04 Nov 2007, 07:51:18 pm
I have got to say i have not heard this to be true but then again I am not told as much as I used to be.

If it is true then it is more evidence of bad judgement in my opinion.  He is old / past it and clumbersome.  We are told we are chasing Wilkes and gannon type players and end up with Tutty Fruity sme one is taking the P%%%

justonelilpoint

Reply #3 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:13:32 pm
He's been telling folk he's on his way to Whitehaven,
I sincerley hope its pay as you play with his injury record ! :o
Id sooner have gone wih 4 props, fats,edmondson ,Jacko and Ford
Howard Hill and Teare can also play there, so there wasnt any panic to cover prop.
If he is coming lets see hows he's done by April after the warm up games

ANZAC

Reply #4 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:22:19 pm
If itd true i think we will struggle at prop

Fats - does well but is not eh force he was.

Jacko - is only an impact Prop good for a couple of 15 min bursts
works with the right combination

Edmondson -  I aint hopeful top end NL! will be a big step up for him.

Hill - As per Fats decent but age catching up

Teare - No thanks 

Mcdonald - Old / slow and injury prone and a penalty machine 17 sub appearances for York says it all really.

We struggled up front last year agaisnt the better teams Widnes Fax leigh Cas and even Sheffield to be fair.  We jsut didn't have the domination we have had previously.  Those six (each for different reasons) will not get over the top of the best four of five teams in NL1 next year.  It will make Paul Crareys fst open rugby very difficult to play.

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #5 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:46:51 pm
surely theres a better prop out there than HIM !

ANZAC

Reply #6 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:47:22 pm
May be we are being ab it hasty Read a few match reports from the York website and it sounds like he had a good season for them.  Mostly described as very aggressive big impact of the bench.  Does seem to confirm he often give penalties awy and sails pretty close tothe wind but they seem to appreciate his efforts last year.  Certainly has size and a bit of intimidation factor about him.  Big question mark is he going to get himself fit enough >

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #7 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:56:57 pm
Apart from his well documented injury list (broken arms, etc) he is a player that gets stuck in.   When he played against Town last season he was York's best forward but he met his match against Taani Lavulavu.    Them two had a good battle but Lavulavu came out on top even though he got sin-binned in one of the tussles.    If he can stay fit he won't let anyone down.   Put it this way, I would be quite happy if he were coming to Town.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #8 on: 04 Nov 2007, 08:59:08 pm
very disappointed another player from nl2 who is just a head hunter  imo. not a patch on tandy and summers
NO PAIN NO GAIN

ANZAC

Reply #9 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:10:20 pm
Reading the York fans forum they have understood for a while he was going back to Cumbria to play fro Workington.  I suspect thats where he was heading until our chase of Wilkes and Gannon came to nothing.  We obviously need a Prop and given we now offically prefer local players I suspect we swiftly stepped in a made him an offer once it was clear we were not getting Wilkes or Gannon

Its propably a case of a relatively cheap option of a local player who has played in NL1. Saves us a bit of cash, and he's available.    He is bettter than Teare Wright and Baldwin so to that extent will improve the squad. 

Suspect we will run with

P. Fats
H. Mattinson
P.Edmondson
SR. Fletch - hopefully!
SR. Mcavoy
L/F. Rudd / Joe

Bench

Hill
Sice
Jacko
Mcdonald

Could be worse i suppose a lot will depend on whether Edmondson is any good and Mcdonald can get himself in shape.

You have got to worry about discipline with Jacko and mcdonald in the same team also.

Given the above I suspect we will announce Miller Mcdonald and the Aussie as our signings for next year and that will be the end of the recruitment

Offline havenbeachbum

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:17:49 pm
No! this can't be true. I'd rather see old McDonald playing at the recre, he's an absolute duckegg and a liability who will get himself sinbinned for a rest before getting himself sent off.

However I suspect that the mullet just likes to throw a daft rumour in from time to time to see what sort of reaction he gets. Well mullet you got a bite from me . Nice wind up .

Offline Brow Lad

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:18:33 pm
If Our BOD sign dexter millar i am afraid i will not attend another game. You might say im not a true supporter, but lets get real , were is the ambition. There are 10 better second rows in our cumberland arl. I would rather have Garry purdam or dean vaughnn back.

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 04 Nov 2007, 09:48:54 pm
Lets look on the bright side, hes bound to be better than Baldwin ;)

• Haven Legend
Reply #13 on: 04 Nov 2007, 10:06:18 pm
No! this can't be true. I'd rather see old McDonald playing at the recre, he's an absolute duckegg and a liability who will get himself sinbinned for a rest before getting himself sent off.

However I suspect that the mullet just likes to throw a daft rumour in from time to time to see what sort of reaction he gets. Well mullet you got a bite from me . Nice wind up .

http://www.rugbyleague.org/index.php?s=bf078f4f9244834345f18a7d41caf70d&showtopic=81748

no wind up
THE MULLET IS BACK

• Haven Legend
Reply #14 on: 04 Nov 2007, 10:09:13 pm
Lets look on the bright side, hes bound to be better than Baldwin ;)

that is not a positive

our BOD said in the paper 3 quality signings, well sorry a injury prone prop who gives away loads of pens and the wrong side of 30 is not quality
THE MULLET IS BACK