HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Duffy to Widnes ?????

Offline haven marra

• Academy Star
on: 06 Nov 2007, 05:37:47 pm
Strong rumours coming from Widnes that they are signing JD.
Just spoke to my mate who works in Runcorn with loads of Widnes fans and he says its almost a done deal and that an agreement has been made if he can get released by us.

Why was this topic removed before ?????? This is an unofficial forum so fans should be able to let each other know what they have heard weather its rumour or fact  >:( >:(

Offline Mancunian Marra

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 06 Nov 2007, 05:40:06 pm
John Duffy is clearly unhappy at the club, wanted to sign for Halifax until the BOD refused to release him from his contract.

Perhaps understandable at the time as there was not a Coach in place, but surely now Cresta has to decide whether or not to keep an unhappy player at the club.

Rudd at 6, Finch at 7 ala Tonga?

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #2 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:02:38 pm
I  did  hear  last  week  strong  rumours  linking  the  club  with an  Aussie  halfback.  It  seemed  a  bit  strange  having  Duffy  and  Finch  there so  maybe  there  could  be  some  truth  in  Duffy  wanting  to  go  then.

If  it  is  the  case  then  we  should  get  some  cash  for  him  and not  let  Widnes  have  him  for  nowt  like  they  did  when  SM  left.

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:03:41 pm
we still have an oversea place to fill so i have no problem letting duffy go, as long as we replace him with a quality number 7 from overseas if need be
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:16:46 pm
the quota player is supposed to be a centre isnt he ???
haven till i die

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:17:16 pm
well ive heard are aussie centre wil be a quota player?

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #6 on: 06 Nov 2007, 06:48:24 pm
If the Aussie "centre" is the one named by ANZAC last week, then he is from NZ and he is a winger!!!!
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 06 Nov 2007, 08:26:52 pm
Just spoke to my mate who works in Runcorn with loads of Widnes fans and he says its almost a done deal and that an agreement has been made if he can get .released by us

Why was this topic removed before ?????? This is an unofficial forum so fans should be able to let each other know what they have heard weather its rumour or fact  >:( >:(
[/quote

If he can get released - we have already said no once so why should this time be different?

Anyway Penny will be at Widnes next season won't he?

Monte2carlo

Reply #8 on: 06 Nov 2007, 08:28:31 pm
Just spoke to my mate who works in Runcorn with loads of Widnes fans and he says its almost a done deal and that an agreement has been made if he can get released by us.

Hmm are you anzac in disguise ?

Monte

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #9 on: 06 Nov 2007, 09:15:29 pm
IMO Duffy going would be a massive blow as he was a major contributer in all aspects of the game last year :-
Leadership
Go forward
Skill
Spirit
Tactics
Tackling
Kicking
etc.

If true this is very bad news ............ he would be very very difficult to replace. As Seeds and Lester had similar qualities, we would then be trying to replace three key team members from last year.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 06 Nov 2007, 10:00:44 pm
duffy has a very well paid job im led to belive why give that up?

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #11 on: 06 Nov 2007, 11:06:48 pm
if its true then steve mac has more than undone the good work he done while he was here. i thought he liked us and that we treated him well?  thats the thanks we get
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline haven marra

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 2007, 06:12:55 am

Hmm are you anzac in disguise ?

Monte

Certainlt not, just a everyday fan like most on here....

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 07 Nov 2007, 09:44:33 am
if its true then steve mac has more than undone the good work he done while he was here. i thought he liked us and that we treated him well?  thats the thanks we get

yes he had good times up here but he is at widnes now and it is hes job to get the best players for them
haven till i die

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #14 on: 07 Nov 2007, 10:20:14 am
'Liked us and we treated him well' - Its a hard life and does anybody seriously think Steve Mac, or any other coach for that matter, would hesitate in signing a player from his previous club, no matter what the circumstances, if he thought it would be beneficial in strengthening his own team?
I don't know whether Duffy wants to go or wants to stay, but I think the writing was on the wall when Smith and Maden left. I may be wrong but that now makes JD our only travelling player! I think everybody is seeing this as a 'transitional' period for the club, whether we like it or not. It seems we are signing 'decent' players, but are decent players going to get us into 2nd or 3rd spot, which is realistically all we can expect next season.
Look at the facts - A part time coach (in itself not really a bad thing, we should support him 100%), a reduced budget (allegedly), not much movement on ground, toilet, bar, catering facilities (for whatever reason), several signings from the 2nd division (whilst all our nearest rivals SEEM to be replacing like for like or better). All in all , a general feeling of unrest amongst all the suppoerters I talk to, and a feeling of pessimism - sorry to sound like ANZAC!.
IMO none of us really know whats happening, so we all fear the worse!
One more thing, on the subject of Steve mac, imo, he has ZERO credibility after leaving Haven whilst under contract (allegedly), shaking hands on a deal with Barrow only to then walk away to take up an 'offer he couldn't refuse' at Hull KR only to return to Widnes less than a fortnight earlier - what a guy!! Him and Widnes deserve each other!

Till next time.........................................................