HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

WHAT IS GOING ON?

Offline Flannerz

• Administrator
  • Fans Favourite
Reply #15 on: 08 Nov 2007, 07:28:52 pm
Uhmmmm.....
Actually......
Its a forum on the same server and URL as the website, therefor who ever has access to the website files also has access to the forum files.....
Ive never quite understood how this forum can be called the "unofficial" forum and still be served of the same server as it isnt really seperate from the website.
Ideally when the club decided it didnt want to support the forum it should have been moved to a new and seperate server and URL or linked to one of the other Rugby forums.
And a little point for flannerz that might increase the activity and useability of the forum......
Almost every forum i read is laid out in one catagory so you dont have to go to several different pages to get the overall view or latest news/rumours, wouldnt it be better laid out all on one page ?
Just my opinion !

The IceMan

till next time :)

I thought about the server issue when it was originally made unofficial back in Feb. However it is something that has never been actioned. The club are happy to keep it running on the server (as far as I am aware) although it probably would be better in one sense if it was completely seperate. However there are costs involved with web space and someone has to foot the bill...

There is only one person who has access to the server via FTP or has access to the database and thats me. I know for a fact that no one has entered the database and deleted these posts, but they have been done by ANZAC, that is 100% certain. I have now removed the ability for users to delete their own topics and posts as well as the ability to delete their account. This should ensure that a similar situation doesn't occur again.

As regards to the forum layout, I suppose it all comes down to personal preference. I personally feel that categorising the forum gives it structure and makes topical discussion easier to find (eg, match predictions, updates etc...). However if the members would prefer a 'list' format, then it is something we can maybe look at.

You raise some good points though Iceman :)