Offline hensingham boy

• First Team Backup
  • win or lose on the booze
on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:14:21 pm
tongan international signed today

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #1 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:18:55 pm
On a twelve month deal and I'm guessing he won't be travelling from Tonga/Aus every week!   ;D
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline hensingham boy

• First Team Backup
  • win or lose on the booze

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #3 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:24:06 pm

Saia Makisi
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:24:48 pm
i was just in the process of putten that pic up lool

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #5 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:26:51 pm
He wont count as our quota player either due to the KOLPAC ruling.

Hopefully this will pave the way for us to sign an overseas halfback to fill the void left by John Duffys imminent departure to Widnes.

Offline MrsHavenWarrior

• Administrator
  • Haven Immortal
Reply #6 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:30:11 pm
Report From Whitehaven News

Whitehaven have signed Tongan Powerhouse Saia Makisi on a 12 month contract.  And the 6 foot 3 centre who tips the scales at 16 stones is no stranger to West Cumbria after scoring a try for Tonga in the clash with Cumbria at Workington last year.  Haven were alerted the  25yr olds availability by their respected former coach Stan Martin in New Zealand.  ?He approached Stan about coming over to England and Stan sent his details to us?, said Chairman Des Byrne.  ?We held off until we had appointed a new coach and when Paul Crarey came in, he heard about the player so we signed him.  He is a good attacking player with pace and we are delighted to get him.  It has taken a little while but our patience has been rewarded?.

Makisi hails from New Zealand but holds a Tongan passport and represented the country in 2005 and 2006.  He was signed by Cronulla Sharks after being spotted for New Zealand Residents in the World Sevens in 2004.

After a year with the Sharks, Premier League side he had spells with Canterbury Bulldogs and Wests Tigers and last season he featured for North Sydney?s reserve team.  Makisi will link with Haven in January, and he will share a house with fellow new signing Ade Adebisi who has switched from Featherstone.  Crarey coached Cumbria to their win over Tonga last year and reckons Makisi faired well against the county side scoring a 43rd minute try with a trademark break.  ?He was the better of the Tongan?s two centres?, said the Haven boss.  ?He was playing against Barrow?s Liam Harrison who is very strong defensively, but he still scored a try.  We did a lot of kick and chase because of the wet conditions and he stood up to it well.  He will do very very well for us, when he gets used to the cold, as long as he settles in.  ?With David Seeds retiring, we had to try to bring someone in to fill his boots, and this lad is a great attacking Centre.?

Makisi adds to the stiff competition in the centres, with Rob Jackson and Derrie Eilbeck also in strong contention, though the new signing can also play wing, fullback and even second row. 

Haven are also strongly rumoured to be in contention for ex-Hull KR prop, Jim Gannon ? a super league regular last season, though they face competition from NL2 Oldham.  Byrne declined to name the player Haven are targeting but said: ?We are still negotiation with the agent of a former Super League Forward and we are hopeful?.
?Our patience has been rewarded with Makisi and hopefully it will be the same with him?.
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2007, 05:51:16 pm by MrsHavenWarrior »
๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’› Whitehaven RLFC ๐ŸคŽ๐Ÿ’™๐Ÿ’›

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 07 Nov 2007, 05:59:09 pm
So this will be the Aussie half back that the font of knowledge was telling us about? Wrong on both counts!!! God its great that we have ANZAC to keep us informed!

Oops ! Sorry ! that is had, past tense  :D

Or is it the end of our beloved friend? I see that another Mr Negative has reappeared after a long absence  ???

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #8 on: 07 Nov 2007, 06:02:37 pm
welcome to whitehaven marra. ul love it

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 07 Nov 2007, 06:10:24 pm
brent grose another player who is in talks

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 07 Nov 2007, 06:12:47 pm
i dnt no if i even want him to come. notsure if rather ade to learn his trade than sign grose

Offline haven hora

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 07 Nov 2007, 08:31:38 pm
grose would be the aussie going to play stand off ive been told but its just a rumour until annoced

Offline Jaypeet

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 07 Nov 2007, 08:48:41 pm
Grose plays wing or full back doesn't he?
God this is a long tunnel...........and its getting longer by the minute!

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #13 on: 07 Nov 2007, 08:50:21 pm
Welcome to Haven and good luck.

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #14 on: 07 Nov 2007, 09:19:43 pm
With the good news on this thread, the equally good news on the 'fletch' thread and Duffy staying, I can't say how elated I feel.

A coulpe more good signings (inc a really good prop) and I may take a couple of days off work to celebrate !!!!!  Would that be OK ??