HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

expansion

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
on: 13 Nov 2007, 06:22:15 pm
http://www.sportinglife.com/rugbyleague/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=rleague/07/11/13/RUGBYL_Super_League_Nightlead.html

this is interesting

"There will be no promotion and relegation in 2008 but a National League team will be guaranteed a Super League licence for 2012, which would either be at the expense of a relegated team or as a result of further expansion.

To be in contention for promotion, a club must have contested at least one National League Grand Final in the previous three-year period"
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:22:46 pm
With teams like Salford, Widnes, (?), Celtic, Halifax, Leigh, and Haven and no promotion this year it will mean that maybe one of them will get a franchise if they go to 14 clubs and no doubt the other one will go to Toulouse.

That then means that over the next 3 years one of the others plus any team that may come out of the NL2, such as Oldham, Doncaster or Barrow, will all be fighting to try and get that one place in 2012.    I fear it is just another throw away line to pacify the NL clubs, along with the increase in prize money for the NL title, and I'm sure many will have jumped to accept it.!!!!

They are selling the game down the river I'm afraid and we are all standing around watching it happen.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline tattie

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:45:31 pm
With teams like Salford, Widnes, (?), Celtic, Halifax, Leigh, and Haven and no promotion this year it will mean that maybe one of them will get a franchise if they go to 14 clubs and no doubt the other one will go to Toulouse.

That then means that over the next 3 years one of the others plus any team that may come out of the NL2, such as Oldham, Doncaster or Barrow, will all be fighting to try and get that one place in 2012.    I fear it is just another throw away line to pacify the NL clubs, along with the increase in prize money for the NL title, and I'm sure many will have jumped to accept it.!!!!

They are selling the game down the river I'm afraid and we are all standing around watching it happen.
                                              what can we do about it ? ??? ??? ???
ALWAYS  HAVEN

Monte2carlo

Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:50:13 pm
Keith,

I agree with you about selling our game down the river. Maybe fans should start to get together and form a group to put pressure on Red Hall to stop this stupid plan.

Without fans there will be no rugby league as we are the ones who put the most coffers into the clubs buying match & lottery tickets and the ever changing tops which change every season now . We spend far more on our clubs than what SKY do but get no say in the running of the club or league

Chris

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:23:41 pm
Monte,

As I see it, it is the divide and rule ploy being used.    The RFL and SL offer a little tit-bit of a NL club will be promoted in 4 years time and also increase the NL prize money which only a couple of clubs will benefit from and hey presto all the NL club representatives go overboard and vote for it.

If I was attending those meetings I would be asking a lot more questions than seems to be the case.    For these things to be carried it needs some club or maybe two clubs to vote with the SL clubs as they get almost two votes to every one by the NL clubs and they work it down to fractions of a vote, so it shouldn't be a difficult job for the NL clubs to meet and discuss every aspect of this before the final decision is made.

Keith
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline HMS HAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #5 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:22:46 pm

what can we do about it ? ??? ??? ???

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/saverugbyleague/

this is a petition link which over 300 people have signed already . i know we cant do much to prevent the franchise era going ahead but atleast we can try.

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:36:28 pm
The only solution to the situation in my opinion is to make SL,RL1 and RL2 etc just like international football. Have no quoter players and no players from outside the UK. Players from overseas can play if they can be a resident and take up UK citizenship. This means that they have to have a grandparent born {citizen} in the UK at the very least to be eligible to play.
Why? Because this way the whole league has to spend the money on developing internal talent instead of paying huge amount to import it.This means that area's like Cumbria that have a  bigger league culture per population will do much better than checkbook area's that currently have the advantage.It would increase the home grown talent 100 times by giving more younger players a chance to make a career of the game.This will greatly increase the number of UK players and mean that you will get more of the 1 in 1000 sensational player{ freaks of nature in a good way}.You will find there are many players around in the lower leagues that would actually be topflight player if they had the opportunity to get serious about the game like players in SL can. Many an average player has become great by playing and training alongside quality players.

Just my thoughts ;D
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 10:38:13 pm by toddy »

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #7 on: 13 Nov 2007, 11:13:46 pm
agree mate

i dont get the RFL and some RL fans basically saying" oh we have to stop P&R so that teams dont just buy overseas players to try and avoid relegation" its simple stop the overseas player from coming over by putting a limit on the amount a team can have, and make it any overseas player not just 'quota'  players include tongans, samoans etc this would make teams bring through their young talent , and yes, maybe the standard would drop for a few seasons but young british players will come through the academy systems at all levels of the game  and the standard would eventually increase

i have a question about the franchise system; when it comes into place do teams have to bring through a certain amount of british players? or can they just take the extra money from sky and spent that on australians etc?
haven till i die

Offline HMS HAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #8 on: 13 Nov 2007, 11:26:18 pm
with no p and r this is the perfect time to blood some of our young lads and stop worrying about signing overpaid players who dont even want to play for us.I know it will be hard at first but you will see the results in a couple of years and we will still have a club to support at the end it. How many clubs will go bust  puttting all there eggs in one basket for this years promotion.

LIVE LONG THE HAVEN

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:44:39 am
when will we see the results? when the teams that have been in super league for 3/4 years without worrying about relegation have all of their money saves up from sky? when they have built better stadiums developed better academy players with the money from sky? while NL1 clubs have to rely on the money they raise themselves and one club gets ?100,000 if they win the final. how will we still have a club? why will players come up to haven when there is no chance of playing at a higher level? they can just stop where they live and play without  the travelling why would people come to watch when they know there is no promotion to look forward to? no excitment in the game because really they are pointless. there will be the hardcore of about 500 but the rest will eventually drop off. who are the "overpaid players who dont want to play for us"? you cannot blood a full team of youngsters its impossible, and nobody will go bust pushing for promotion next season as there is no P&R "There will be no promotion and relegation in 2008 but a National League team will be guaranteed a Super League licence for 2012, which would either be at the expense of a relegated team or as a result of further expansion." i wonder who that national league team might be salford? celtic ?

haven till i die