HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Whitehaven RLFC R.I.P

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
on: 13 Nov 2007, 07:59:59 pm
With the announcement today of the implementation of the 'franchise system' today the first ring of the death bell has been heard. With a council ignorant to the clubs plight and Directors unable to implement the changes and gain the funding required to submit an application for Super League, we are surely in the midst of the biggest crisis in the club's history. And im afraid its terminal.

To make matters worse it has also been reported that the RFL are strongly backing applications from Toulouse and Celtic Crusaders. Along with a plethora of clubs such as Leigh, Widnes, Halifax and Salford who are in a much stronger position than ourselves what chance do we have? Even in four years time?

As attendances drop and the club withers and dies we can only hope those responsible take a long good look at themselves and those around them. Reminding themselves of all the hard work of directors, coaches, player and fans past and present that has been flushed down the drain thanks to their own ineptitude.

Whitehaven RLFC   RIP

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:05:20 pm
anzac ?? is that you. we havent got the funding or anything going for us so we have long term plans. eres to a good season and improvement from last year.

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2007, 08:40:27 pm
Reg, I am a Town fan and so really speaking it shouldn't matter to me one way or another if Haven get a new ground, grandstand, etc, but I have worked in the charity business and dealt with the Charity Commission and some of the organisations that Des and others at the club are having to deal with now.   Some of them "others" will, I have no doubt, be the council legal and planning departments.

To the layman it seems quite a simply thing to say Haven need a grandstand or new ground, just get the money and build it.    That would be fine all things being equal but when the land is owned by a registered charity, who come under the umbrella of another larger charity, who also have to be governed by the Charity Commission and come under the Charity Act 1993, etc, about how charity land can be used and disposed of etc, then you start to get the picture.

I have had private messages in the past from some Haven fans saying that I was just making trouble etc, when I mentioned things like this but having experienced it, I know what the club and the council are up against.     The club recently stated that they would like a 50 year lease on the land in order to attract funding.    I can tell you for almost 7 years I tried to get a 35 year lease of a piece of charity land for another charity to use and in the end I had to settle for a 25 year lease because any longer than that is considered as wrongful use of community land.    The Charity Commission also will not allow leases to include the right to renewal as that tends to show that the charity has handed over the land.    Believe me there are all sorts of problems that the layman wouldn't know about.

So the bottom line is that it has been just unfortunate that Haven's best period in their history has corresponded with the regeneration work that the council are trying to get through and the problems with the land being charity land.    No-one is to blame, these things happen.
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 13 Nov 2007, 09:46:02 pm
Reg, I am a Town fan and so really speaking it shouldn't matter to me one way or another if Haven get a new ground, grandstand, etc, but I have worked in the charity business and dealt with the Charity Commission and some of the organisations that Des and others at the club are having to deal with now.   Some of them "others" will, I have no doubt, be the council legal and planning departments.

To the layman it seems quite a simply thing to say Haven need a grandstand or new ground, just get the money and build it.    That would be fine all things being equal but when the land is owned by a registered charity, who come under the umbrella of another larger charity, who also have to be governed by the Charity Commission and come under the Charity Act 1993, etc, about how charity land can be used and disposed of etc, then you start to get the picture.

I have had private messages in the past from some Haven fans saying that I was just making trouble etc, when I mentioned things like this but having experienced it, I know what the club and the council are up against.     The club recently stated that they would like a 50 year lease on the land in order to attract funding.    I can tell you for almost 7 years I tried to get a 35 year lease of a piece of charity land for another charity to use and in the end I had to settle for a 25 year lease because any longer than that is considered as wrongful use of community land.    The Charity Commission also will not allow leases to include the right to renewal as that tends to show that the charity has handed over the land.    Believe me there are all sorts of problems that the layman wouldn't know about.

So the bottom line is that it has been just unfortunate that Haven's best period in their history has corresponded with the regeneration work that the council are trying to get through and the problems with the land being charity land.    No-one is to blame, these things happen.

Keith a great post

Some fans need to take a deep breath and consider ALL the facts before they start criticising the so called lack of action - I can assure you it's not thjrough a lack of effort on the Club's part.

BTW Widnes, Leigh & Halifax for SLE in 2009 - not a chance

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 13 Nov 2007, 10:07:13 pm
Keith, as usual you have hit the nail on the head. It is a complex situation with many hands in the pot and many people to satisfy. There is a lot of red tape to get through that happens with all projects of this type the world over.

I have said it before you are a Supporter of the game as you are a supporter of your team. That is how it should be in the game!

Reg, what you are saying is you would shoot your horse for being lame when it is running middle of the pack before it even gets to the last corner of Royal Ascot.
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2007, 10:11:49 pm by toddy »

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:31:18 am
That is all true about the clubs hands tied but what is the answer ? its true also that its gone on for years imo we should have moved years ago to where im not sure but all this could go on for another long spell and does the club realy want to fight on with charity meetings etc when they want things done, when club matters are needing done. My hat goes off to the bod with putting up with all this for years.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2007, 01:31:43 am
its all good saying we should move but there isnt any where else to move to copeland stadium needs a hell of alot of work to get it anywhere near super league standard as does the rec so what would be the point of moving
haven till i die

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:10:41 am
I ment years ago as in the time its took to sort the stands we could have built a stadium but as usual catch 22 ..... money. :(

justonelilpoint

Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2007, 08:54:57 am
One school of thought................. develop the playground...Its actually owned by the cricket club
Surely enough room for a new stadium for both rugby clubs ,and a new club pavillion etc for the cricket club ?
In fact you could have a quite big club thats for all 3 sides.
With all 3 clubs fighting on same front for funding, Im sure they'd attract far more money for a sporting complex?
Keeps the ground in town and not up the hill at hensingham, parking could still come via ASDA and access to the ground could also be incorporated into their plans.

It could be the Headingley of Cumbria! :)

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2007, 10:48:22 am
which playgroung  ???
haven till i die

justonelilpoint

Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:30:13 pm
Whitehaven R.U and Cricket ground behind sports centre...known as the play ground

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2007, 12:39:34 pm
oh ok didnt know that was called the playground
haven till i die

Offline Johnno

• Academy Star
Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:37:01 pm
One school of thought................. develop the playground...Its actually owned by the cricket club

Not sure this is correct. I was involved at the Playground many years ago. If memory serves me right the Playground was jointly owned by the cricket club, Whitehaven Rugby Union & the tennis club.

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #13 on: 14 Nov 2007, 03:53:11 pm
With the announcement today of the implementation of the 'franchise system' today the first ring of the death bell has been heard. With a council ignorant to the clubs plight and Directors unable to implement the changes and gain the funding required to submit an application for Super League, we are surely in the midst of the biggest crisis in the club's history. And im afraid its terminal.

To make matters worse it has also been reported that the RFL are strongly backing applications from Toulouse and Celtic Crusaders. Along with a plethora of clubs such as Leigh, Widnes, Halifax and Salford who are in a much stronger position than ourselves what chance do we have? Even in four years time?

As attendances drop and the club withers and dies we can only hope those responsible take a long good look at themselves and those around them. Reminding themselves of all the hard work of directors, coaches, player and fans past and present that has been flushed down the drain thanks to their own ineptitude.

Whitehaven RLFC   RIP

So if the club is DEAD, FACT !!!!!

Does this mean that you will be leaving us and going to support another team, I sure do hope so with an attitude like that  ;D

Are you ANZAC is diaguise? Are you ANZAC in disguise? (Lets all sing along)

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 14 Nov 2007, 04:05:49 pm

Whitehaven RLFC   RIP

So if the club is DEAD, FACT !!!!!

Does this mean that you will be leaving us and going to support another team, I sure do hope so with an attitude like that  ;D

Are you ANZAC is diaguise? Are you ANZAC in disguise? (Lets all sing along)

hahaha like it. cant believe the negativity of some people who support our club