New fitness coach

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:14:33 pm
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/viewarticle.aspx?id=564100

By John Walsh

PAUL TAYLOR hopes he will be able to play a part in making Whitehaven a more mobile side next season.

The 41-year-old former international athlete has answered the call from new Haven coach Paul Crarey to go back to the Recreation Ground as fitness co-ordinator.

Taylor, pictured, had been with Crarey for two years at Barrow, and although he?s now lives in Millom, has agreed to join the backroom staff at the Recreation Ground.

He says: ?I know the style of rugby that Paul likes and the players will have to be able to get round the park.

?I know when I saw Whitehaven last season I thought they had plenty of bulk but could be more mobile. That is going to be the aim and we?ll be using different training and fitness routines as a consequence.?

It?s the second time that Taylor has been associated with the Whitehaven club, having previously invited to get involved by Gordon Cottier and then under Stan Martin.

?I?d always been involved with Wath Brow but I was happy to help at Whitehaven, and that?s where I first met Paul.

?He was on loan to Whitehaven from Barrow for a while and we stayed in touch when he left.

?Then when he got involved in amateur coaching down at Dalton and Walney he asked me to do a few sessions with them.

?After he got the Barrow job he was on the phone about 20 times for me to go to Craven Park and I accepted. It was good down there because he did a great job and when he left I was among five of his backroom staff who walked out as well,? says Taylor.

As well as working with Barrow and Whitehaven previously, Taylor also spent half a season with Gary Murdock at Workington so has had experience working with all three Cumbrian professional clubs.

For many years he?s been associated with the successful Wath Brow amateur club and several Hornets players are now professionals at the Recreation Ground.

?People like Craig Calvert, Carl Rudd and Derry Eilbeck know how I operate and I?m looking forward to working with them again,? he says.

Much of his fitness training comes from his background in athletics where he was the 1985 European junior champion over 5,000 metres. The likes of Roger Black and Colin Jackson were contempories.

He later switched to road-running and in 1996 over 10k set the third fastest-ever time by a British runner.

?I keep an interest in athletics and regularly keep a check on how the times are changing but I?m pleased to say that my time is still ranked third best in Britain,? he confesses.
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:16:38 pm
welcome to haven then mate

Monte2carlo

Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2007, 06:40:05 pm
Welcome back Paul for the second time

Monte

Offline HMS HAVEN

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2007, 07:40:55 pm
welcome back marra

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2007, 10:46:11 pm
i know paul t and its a good move well done bod

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 15 Nov 2007, 12:38:05 am
welcome aboard tadge

Offline toddy

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 15 Nov 2007, 06:37:44 am
Welcome and what can you do about my mid life belly spread? I tried beer but it did not make it smaller, i tried spirits but it seemed to double it? Dear Trainer, should i double my intake and reduce my eating or should i double my eating and reduce my spirit and beer intake?

Welcome Marra!

Monte2carlo

Reply #7 on: 15 Nov 2007, 05:59:54 pm
Welcome and what can you do about my mid life belly spread? I tried beer but it did not make it smaller, i tried spirits but it seemed to double it? Dear Trainer, should i double my intake and reduce my eating or should i double my eating and reduce my spirit and beer intake?

Welcome Marra!

Erm see our fans resident athlete/ conditioner Champ for any dietry needs such as Pie consumption or beer intake

Monte

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 15 Nov 2007, 07:57:53 pm

Welcome Marra!

Just double everything toddy and you'll soon notice the difference.   ;D ;D
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!