HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Change of tune

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:08:06 pm
We are now happy with our squad according to Crarey but may add one more signing id the right ppalyer comes along!

Apparently we lost five players last year and have recruited five this year so the squad is of the same strength ...views

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:11:36 pm
having the same number of players as last year doenst mean the squad is any better or worse we need to wait until we see the first choice team play

i still think we need a big prop and if ade has decided not to come then anothr winger
haven till i die

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2007, 12:29:33 pm
happyier. seeds is iriplaceable but every1 else wont be missed. aslong as ade comes

Offline brett kinghams mullet

• Haven Legend
Reply #3 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:29:39 pm
not to use our quota place is a joke

its clear we are being out bid for english players with decent records

wilkes
nanyn
gannon

the signings we have made to me are very much a hope and see and no where near the quality of players we have have released or retired

so all the more reason to use the quota place to bring over a young hungry player with a decent rep and somthing to prove

not to do so puts us at a massive disadvantage
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2007, 01:40:59 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #4 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:41:27 pm

You know for a FACT that the club is not going to use the quota place do you. NO!

If the club rushed in and signed an idiot from down under on a high wage you would be one of the first to complain. Lets wait and see if anything turns up. If nobody is suitable then the place should be kept open with the option of obtaining someone if they come along.

• Haven Legend
Reply #5 on: 16 Nov 2007, 01:49:57 pm

You know for a FACT that the club is not going to use the quota place do you. NO!

If the club rushed in and signed an idiot from down under on a high wage you would be one of the first to complain. Lets wait and see if anything turns up. If nobody is suitable then the place should be kept open with the option of obtaining someone if they come along.

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/viewarticle.aspx?id=565494
doesnt look that positive for a quota player

so we have lost out on gannon wilkes nanyn

and since then signed a unkown center, now it looks like we may only get 1 more signing if lucky

sorry  but if you think the players signed so far are good replacements for those gone then you are mistaken

look at who donny are signing, mckenna,bauer, and miava and horne on loan from hull

these are the quality we should be looking at even if it means one or two less signings, i would rather have 3 quality players lik these than 5 average signings
« Last Edit: 16 Nov 2007, 01:54:29 pm by brett kinghams mullet »
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:00:13 pm
we dont know if we have 5 average signing we have a young stand off looking to improve a young winger with e decent record clubwise 2 unknowns from overseas who could turn out to be awesome (or rubbish ;D) the only one i am dissapointed with is mcdonald
haven till i die

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:03:53 pm
BKM, it shouldnt and doesnt matter to us who donny are signing, they are in NL2, so will be no threat to us next season, and, if, as is highly likely, they dont start attracting BIG crowds next year, will just go the same way as they did last season, so who really gives a monkeys? personally i will laugh at their imminent downfall, having obviously NOT learned from their past mistakes!!

and as for complaining about our signings, well to coin your own phrase, as you have fired at people before........... "if you dont like it, go and watch town!" ;)
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

• Haven Legend
Reply #8 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:29:18 pm
BKM, it shouldnt and doesnt matter to us who donny are signing, they are in NL2, so will be no threat to us next season, and, if, as is highly likely, they dont start attracting BIG crowds next year, will just go the same way as they did last season, so who really gives a monkeys? personally i will laugh at their imminent downfall, having obviously NOT learned from their past mistakes!!

and as for complaining about our signings, well to coin your own phrase, as you have fired at people before........... "if you dont like it, go and watch town!" ;)

iil be there mac regardless of who we sign, but lets not kid ourselfs thats what im saying ,the coach and BOD may talk an expansive game etc etc, but to do that you need top quality players and to be honest do any of the 5 we have signed come in to that group, they are all unkown at this level(may turn out to be world beaters) but then again may not

look at the quality of players we were trying to sign and look at who we actually signed big difference in class
THE MULLET IS BACK

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #9 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:31:38 pm

http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/sport/viewarticle.aspx?id=565494
doesnt look that positive for a quota player

so we have lost out on gannon wilkes nanyn

and since then signed a unkown center, now it looks like we may only get 1 more signing if lucky

sorry  but if you think the players signed so far are good replacements for those gone then you are mistaken

look at who donny are signing, mckenna,bauer, and miava and horne on loan from hull

these are the quality we should be looking at even if it means one or two less signings, i would rather have 3 quality players lik these than 5 average signings

Where on that News and Star page does it say that we will NOT be getting a quota player. If  you read it, it says that Crarey is keeping his options open and looking for a quota player if one comes along. As for your other comments:

If Gannon, Wilkes and Nanyn don't want to play for us then so be it. If they wanted more money than we can afford then Des and co made the correct decision by not bowing to their demands.

As for the unknown center, did anybody know much about Lester, Joe and Fatialofa when they came? NO! I rest my case on that one!

We have lost several old or not needed players (Smith, Trindall, Lester, Seeds, Baldwin and Maden). We have SO FAR acquired five players, four of which are very young and could turn out to be great for the future. Yes they could go the other way, but the least we should do is give them a chance and not allow IDIOTS to slag them off before they have even arrived, never mind trained or played. IMO the only player that we have lost that we will miss on the field is Seeds!!!

And as for Doncaster, give me a break!! have you had your head up your arse for past twelve months? They will not get great crowds and will end up in financial trouble again as they have very few other areas of income apart from gate receipts.

Please also note that people talk about us signing this person and that person. In the vast majority of cases these players either want too much money, don't want to move to Whitehaven or don't want to travel to Whitehaven. If a player doesn't want to come then that's that and the club is correct in not overspending. If we go into administration no sugar daddy will come and bail us out of the S**T, that will be the end, FULL STOP!!!

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 16 Nov 2007, 02:56:25 pm

iil be there mac regardless of who we sign, but lets not kid ourselfs thats what im saying ,the coach and BOD may talk an expansive game etc etc, but to do that you need top quality players and to be honest do any of the 5 we have signed come in to that group, they are all unkown at this level(may turn out to be world beaters) but then again may not

look at the quality of players we were trying to sign and look at who we actually signed big difference in class

to have a go at the board for not signing nanyn, wilkes, etc etc isnt exactly fair, we are a small club with a small budget, which to the boards credit they are trying to stick to,rightly or wrongly depends on what you want to see, but players like fat mick and olly will go where the money is, and you can't blame them for that either, at the end of the day its their income and they need to make sure they get the deal they want. i would have loved us to sign wilkes and nanyn but they ask for too much money and we arent prepared to give them it, based i would imagine on a tight budget!

as for the players we have signed i think there is only one who any haven fan can really have a go at and thats the signing of macdonald, an injury prone liability, however from next season he will be OUR liability so we have to support him! the rest of the signings we cant really comment on as we havent seen much if anything of them, who knows they might just turn out to be very shrewd buys, maybe better this way than a bunch of prima donnas on excessives wages?

one thing for sure alan, come next feb i'll be chomping at the bit to see the haven playing again, and thats something i havent been so enthusiastic about for the past 2 seasons!!!
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #11 on: 16 Nov 2007, 03:15:18 pm
Totally  agree  there  CBG.  We  just  don't  know  how  these  new  lads  are  going  to  turn  out.  They  could  be  total  duckheads  or  maybe  outstanding  players  who  are  going  to  do  a  good  job.  We'll  just  have  to  wait  and  see.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 16 Nov 2007, 08:18:09 pm

Not to WASTE our quota place is the crucial thing

Just signing anybody because he is a quota player is a waste of time & money