HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Where do people think we will finish in NL1

Boxer · 23 · 1499

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 17 Nov 2007, 09:38:24 am
Given we are told our squad is complete barring possibly one more signing and most other teams barring Widnes have the majority of their squads give or take where do people genuinally think we will finish and what is the minimum they expect.

Last four years we have i think been 2nd,1st, 4th & 4th.

1. Salford - Look different class
2. Halifax - seem to have a good coach some stability and building in the right direction
3.  Celtic - I think they will go very well a lot of decent player retained from last year plus some good addions
4. Leigh - not sure about the coach but have signed some decnet players will probably lose a few but to strong for most
5. Whitehaven - I think this is the best we can hope for it wll still require a good season though to get 5th
6. Widnes - I am assuming the retain Penny Smith beswick Noone and get Gannon etc they could finsih higher
7 Sheffield - did well last year and assuming a couple of addions should be competitive
8. Featherstone - some decent signings and hard to beat at home
9 Dewsbury  - will be fighting with Featherstone and Sheffield for 7 8 9
10 Batley - think they will struggle

I would have said in the past a top three must be what we are aiming for but given the general realigning of expections of the club /fans and looking at the squad we have got together I don't think top three is realistic attainment.  If  Widnes get a team together on a full time basis we could well be looking at 6th but as of now I would be happy if we achieved 5th and say perhaps only lose 2 or 3 home games.   
« Last Edit: 17 Nov 2007, 09:41:23 am by Boxer »

Offline silver shadow

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 17 Nov 2007, 10:01:20 am
3rd why not?
NO PAIN NO GAIN

Offline fluffy

• First Team Backup
  • Haven in the pink :P ^^
Reply #2 on: 17 Nov 2007, 11:19:06 am
i honestly think we can finish 2nd or 3rd, who knows maybe even 1st, my dad sed that the way that cumbria played was great and with crarey being the coach, there's no reason why he shouldn't bring it to haven

We've got this place rocking now girls !!! ;)

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2007, 11:31:54 am
salford
fax
leigh
haven
celtic
dewsbury/widnes
haven till i die

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2007, 11:58:34 am
id say 5th lets hope I'm wrong and the team gel. We meby have signed a couple of good players but id still like to see us sign a proven player.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2007, 02:56:56 pm
At the moment our strongest team is probably

1.GB
2.Calvert
3.Eilbeck
4.Jackson
5.Tongan
6.Rudd
7.Duffy
8.Fats
9.Mattinson
10.Jacko
11.Fletcher
12.Miller
13 S Mcavoy

14 Sice
15. Hill
16. Edmondson
17 Joe

Back up:  Finch/  Mcdonald/  Wright/  Teare/ Bainbridge

The first 17 would probably give all but Salford a game at home but it lacks a bit of quality to win a lot of tight games especially away.  Through in 4 -5 injuries as we had last year and will undoubtedly get this year and we will struggle very badly in my opinion

Monte2carlo

Reply #6 on: 17 Nov 2007, 07:02:53 pm
I would say after the recent transfer activity that we will not be out of the top 4

Monte

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2007, 07:46:38 pm
The main and most encouraging point about NL1 is what looks to be a really high quality  and strong group of teams which should make for a difficult but entertaining and competetive season.

Lets hope that PC can pull our team together and that in doing that he can make us competative throughout the year.

I have come to accept that this will be a season of transition for us, and being competitive in the top half of the table is MY most realistic expectation. Any more than that and I will be well satisfied.

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #8 on: 17 Nov 2007, 07:53:25 pm
3rd

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline Bkenz92

• First Team Regular
  • Haven Til I Die
Reply #9 on: 17 Nov 2007, 08:27:46 pm
2nd or 3rd

Offline Bora18

• Academy Star
Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2007, 04:55:26 am
2nd

Offline bobby

• Academy Star
Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2007, 12:03:13 pm
i think boxer has hit the nail on the head with 5th and thats if we play well because widnes and and the other teams have strenghned. But i think we will win alot of home games wich will keep us in the hunt

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2007, 12:41:42 pm
I think NL1 is a very competitive league now and we could probably see most teams losing to some we wouldn't have thought possible.    Having said that it will depend on the size and quality of each teams squad as to who has the most success.      Having a good 17 - 20 players is great but it is the replacements for injuries that need to be of a good quality to cover when times get hard, as they undoubtedly do in the modern game.   I think the days are gone when a team could go a full season using only about 20 players, so the team with the best 21st best down to the say 34th best will be the team that gains the most success.

Do Haven fit that bill?    Personally, I think anything above 5th should be looked on as a bonus and as P & R is out of the equation now the race becomes more of a distant race rather than a sprint.   
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:12:14 pm
Personally, I think anything above 5th should be looked on as a bonus and as P & R is out of the equation now the race becomes more of a distant race rather than a sprint.   

I  agree  NL1  will  be  very  competetive  but  having  no  promotion  will  turn  some  fans  away.  I  know  Haven  aren't  in  a  position  for  SL  what  with  ground  issues  and  all  but  having  to  go  through  a  season  knowing  that  even  if  you  were  the top  club  you  wouldn't  be  considered  for  SL  would  leave  alot  of  us  very  dissapointed.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:23:02 pm
i think boxer has hit the nail on the head with 5th and thats if we play well because widnes and and the other teams have strenghned. But i think we will win alot of home games wich will keep us in the hunt

widnes are no where near as strong as last season
haven till i die