HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Widnes Deducted 9 pts

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2007, 12:34:06 pm
The rfl are having a laugh aren't they only a 9 point deduction that is only 3 wins which they will get easy and easliy get in to the playoffs

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2007, 05:42:26 pm
widnes have confirmed 3 more signings today

tim hartley from halifax
ian morrison from hull kr
martin mcloughlin from batley

that goes with the re-signings of
gavin dodd
dean gaskell
mark smith
paul noone
bob beswick
scott yates
rob draper
shayne grady
micheal ostick
dayne donohue

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:01:17 pm
widnes have confirmed 3 more signings today

tim hartley from halifax
ian morrison from hull kr
martin mcloughlin from batley

that goes with the re-signings of
gavin dodd
dean gaskell
mark smith
paul noone
bob beswick
scott yates
rob draper
shayne grady
micheal ostick
dayne donohue

well thats 13., so now they got a team anyone gonna volunteer to be a sub for them?? ;)
LOL
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline cbandg01

• Top Try Scorer
  • Let's play to our strengths to create problems
Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:23:40 pm
Can anyone explain how 9 points would be arrived at as a fair / acceptable / whatever punishment for going into liquidation.

If there a 'rule' that helped them arrive at this magic number, what is it and where / when was it applied in the past.

Or (as I suspect) is it simply a small magic number arrived at by a few corrupt bas****s who felt the 9 point deduction would be enough to allow Widnes to make a strong case with players that they want to sign that they will still be able to make the playoffs and then make SL.

Instead of punishing the club, this looks more like a helping hand to me !!

look what happened to Leeds United !!

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2007, 07:54:10 pm
 If anyone's been shat on in the past by SL and the RFL it's Widnes. Relegated twice from the top flight without finishing bottom? Didn't Doncaster and Swinton get the same? If we're good enough next season then we'll do well. It doesn't matter as much what happens with us this season anyway. We're not applyng for the franchises until 2011 according to DB.

The difference with Leeds United aswell is they deliberately went into administration after they knew they were getting relegated so that the points deduction would count during their current season. Widnes however knew they would if they lost. I'm not saying financial mismanagement is right but it's different and Leeds didn't get relegated to League two did they. They got relegated to where they would have been anyway.

Come on guys let's move on, afterall we'll beat them next season anyway!  ;) ;D
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline daniluvsdis

• Academy Star
  • Danielle =)
Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:12:40 pm
well if you listen to widnes fans so far they are signing or re-signing

Gavin Dodd (re-signing)
Daryl Cardiss (re-signing)
Adam Bowman (re-signing)
Dean Gaskell (re-signing)
Mark Smith (re-signing)
Bob Beswick (re-signing)
Paul Noone (re-signing)
Rob Draper (re-signing)
Mick Nanyn (re-signing from oldham)
Byron Ford (signing from hull kr)
George Ndaira (signing sydney roosters non quota lebannon scrum half)
John Duffy (signing from whitehaven again for the 4th time in 2 years  :D :D :D)
Jim Gannon (signing from hull kr)
Ryan Tandy (signing from hull kr)
Danny Hill (signing from wigan)
Iain Morrison (signing from hull kr)
Phil Joesph (signing from halifax)
Tim Hartley (signing from halifax)
David Gower (signing from salford non quota aussie)

John Duffy??
I didnt know he was leaving is that true ?????  ???
Rugby League isn't just a game, a sport.. It's a way of life <3

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #21 on: 21 Nov 2007, 08:39:59 pm
isnt the rule you lose the points that 3 wins are worth in the league?
haven till i die

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #22 on: 21 Nov 2007, 10:21:13 pm
last season doncaster and swinton were deducted 6 points for exactly the same offence as windows

so windows should have been deducted 6 points, however i reckon a deal has been struck "in private" between windows and the rfl, that if windows accept a 9 point deduction then the rfl will re-admit the NEW CLUB windows back into NL1, and not to NL 2 as should have happened to a NEW CLUB!!!!

thats just my thoughts!!!

and as for people worrying about the players they have signed and the salary cap for next season, well if it works properly, the salary cap audits are to be run LIVE next year, so every month clubs will be checked and punished if found to be exceeding the cap
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense

Offline Haven till I Die

• Academy Star
Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2007, 01:04:56 am
last season doncaster and swinton were deducted 6 points for exactly the same offence as windows

so windows should have been deducted 6 points, however i reckon a deal has been struck "in private" between windows and the rfl, that if windows accept a 9 point deduction then the rfl will re-admit the NEW CLUB windows back into NL1, and not to NL 2 as should have happened to a NEW CLUB!!!!

thats just my thoughts!!!

and as for people worrying about the players they have signed and the salary cap for next season, well if it works properly, the salary cap audits are to be run LIVE next year, so every month clubs will be checked and punished if found to be exceeding the cap

Mac think you will find that the salary cap in the NL is only there to stop people going daft to buy thereselves promotion!!!

Obviously over the years this has worked really well like everything else that the RFL do.

But the point im trying to make is that the salary cap is only a guideline and is not there to be used as a punishment in the NL

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2007, 01:44:45 pm
I think the difference between Widnes and the other two (Donny & Swinton) was that them two went into administration during a playing season not at the end of it like Widnes.   Maybe that is why they have been given an extra 3 point penalty???
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2007, 02:25:02 pm
is it not because the rfl were using the points teams would gain from 3 wins and when swinton and donny got their penalty the rfl used the system where it was 2 points for a win it is now 3 points for a win
haven till i die

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2007, 05:10:54 pm
 Last season was 3 points a win when both went into administration. It could be what Keith said or maybe the by-laws hadn't been changed as what happened to Wigans point deduction! Who knows!
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2007, 07:24:10 pm
is it not because the rfl were using the points teams would gain from 3 wins and when swinton and donny got their penalty the rfl used the system where it was 2 points for a win it is now 3 points for a win

No it's not the change from 2 to 3 points for a win

Offline Jackthelad

• Academy Signing
Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2007, 10:12:55 pm
After the Broncos fiasco a couple of seasons ago, which saw them go into liquidation and re-emerge the same day with NOT A SINGLE PENALTY / LEAGUE POINT TAKEN FROM THEM, the RFL decided to " get tough " on Clubs that went into liquidation.

They decided on the equivalent of three wins, but last season forgot to amend the by-laws, so could only take 6 points from Swinton & Doncaster instead of 9.

Widnes got 9 taken from them. Nowhere does it say a Club going into liquidation has to start in the bottom tier / league.

We are where we are, live with it, and get ready for more Viking defeats    ;D

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2007, 10:52:21 pm
that would be fine, but seeing as the owner has publicly stated that you are now a NEW CLUB and NEW BUSINESS you should be treated EXACTLY the same as Bramley Apples and start off in NL 3

it is a bit of a joke to consider a club who can't run their finances properly has a chance of getting a franchise in SL based, whether you like it or not, SOLELY on having a pretty little ground which will look good on sky tv, even if it will be mostly empty!
the reverand, big mac