HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Rugby League Agrees a new TV Package

Martin · 20 · 1315

Offline Martin

• First Team Backup
on: 27 Nov 2007, 01:58:53 pm
http://www.therfl.co.uk/home/news_item_top.php?id=300

Stunning that they don't mention any numbers relating to MONEY ! Most sports when they secure a new brilliant deal its the first thing they shout about ......... like how much will National League clubs be getting for all this 1st class entertainment on the Sky Screens or will that be a big fat zero again ?

Makes me wonder what the real story is !

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #1 on: 27 Nov 2007, 04:38:17 pm
Wouldn't surprise me at all if the National League clubs don't see a penny
haven till i die

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2007, 04:39:53 pm
whats the point in showing nl1 games on thursday nights would it kill sky not to wait a few more days till sunday just makes the players life so more harder

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2007, 04:48:36 pm
i reckon 6 pm sunday nights would be a good time for NL on sky, you could watch haven then home or town to watch the live match, unless of course it was haven who were on, or we were away, then the buses could stop at the club of whoever we were playing!!

or why not make friday a double header?  NL 6pm SL 8pm!?
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2007, 06:46:09 pm
Sunday  would  be  the  ideal  time.  Most  fans  are  off  so  could  make  the  game  even  if  it  was  live.  Showing  matches  on  a  thursday  means  most  fans  need  time  off  work  so  would  rather  watch  it  on  the  tele  hence  the home  team  making  a  loss  despite  the  paltry  sum  that  SKY  give  each  club.

Only  thing  that  worries  me  is  playing  Sunday  would  be  the  commonsense  approach  but  just  when  do  the  RFL  hierarchy  ever  use  such  a  thing........... :(

Monte2carlo

Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2007, 07:13:55 pm
It has been mentioned that if a NL game is shown a 5 figure sum will be paid to the home team

Monte

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2007, 08:33:35 pm
how much do people reckon we were losing by playing on a thursday last season
haven till i die

Offline Fomerly of Northumbria Uni Haven

• Academy Star
Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2007, 10:47:55 pm
Could the people whingng at the financial side of the deal explain the second paragraph, or is it just a defeatist "the rfl will screw us again" attitude. The fact that they've negotiated a long contract shos that they were hapy with how last year went

I doubt they would stick NL1 on a Sunday when you think about it, The football is only off in June and July, which can take up any number of channels, and the cricket season runs parrallel to the NL season; Sky pump stupid money into those sports, and then there are the 2 SL games to take in. I know its not really fair on us but Sky have to make people watch there programmes and get value for their contracts, which is why we will be shifted to Thursday night when there is bugger all else on, and if we argue they just won't show NL games

haven lad 06, I think Dewsbury's attendance when we played there was about twice their Sunday attendances at half price, I'd guess that the extra thousand were more likely to buy burgers, beer(especially on my part, ha), programmes etc. Get it right and you'll make money, regardless of what Sky are paying

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #8 on: 27 Nov 2007, 11:58:27 pm
Actually  football  season  finishes about  early  May  and  starts  up in  mid  August  so  you  could  have  over  3  month's  of  NL  rugby  on  a  Sunday without  having  to  clash  with  football.  I  agree  tho  not  much  happens  on  a  thursday  and  if  the  cracks  right  that  SKY  will  shell  out  a  5  figure  sum  to  show  games  then  it  might  just  be  worth  it  at last.

Offline Fomerly of Northumbria Uni Haven

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2007, 12:24:40 am
The normal football season finishes in early May, but then there's the F.A cup final, football league playoffs which Sky ploughs money into. Then I would think that Sky would expect more interest into Man Utd, Arsenal etc pre season than NL unfortunately. Better to have it on a set time that never shifts than to have a game on T.V thatson a Thursday one week and a Sunday or Even Monday every week, I can't imagine that would be easy to publicise. Money rules unfortunately

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:43:20 am
It has been mentioned that if a NL game is shown a 5 figure sum will be paid to the home team

Monte

?100.01?
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #11 on: 28 Nov 2007, 11:49:40 am
Could the people whingng at the financial side of the deal explain the second paragraph, or is it just a defeatist "the rfl will screw us again" attitude. The fact that they've negotiated a long contract shos that they were hapy with how last year went

I doubt they would stick NL1 on a Sunday when you think about it, The football is only off in June and July, which can take up any number of channels, and the cricket season runs parrallel to the NL season; Sky pump stupid money into those sports, and then there are the 2 SL games to take in. I know its not really fair on us but Sky have to make people watch there programmes and get value for their contracts, which is why we will be shifted to Thursday night when there is bugger all else on, and if we argue they just won't show NL games

haven lad 06, I think Dewsbury's attendance when we played there was about twice their Sunday attendances at half price, I'd guess that the extra thousand were more likely to buy burgers, beer(especially on my part, ha), programmes etc. Get it right and you'll make money, regardless of what Sky are paying

In response to your final statement Haven are in a bad position because of their Geography. Generally the games on SKY are the big games, Haven vs Cas, Haven vs Leigh. Dewsbury is on the M62 corridor so not that far for people to travel. But with our position not many fans will travel to Haven on a Thursday, hence Haven lose a great deal of money due to a lack of away fans. Also people have to go to work so those people don't go as do people who travel to support Haven.

Also Dewsbury offered a load of good deals and free tickets given to them by the sponsors so don't be deceived.

Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 28 Nov 2007, 01:47:27 pm
what was our attendance against cas when we were on tele ?
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2007, 01:51:12 pm by haven lad 06 »
haven till i die

Offline HavenMascot

• Fans Favourite
Reply #13 on: 28 Nov 2007, 02:43:21 pm
just below 3'500 i think

"Born A Haven Supporter, I Am A Haven Supporter, I'll Die A Haven Supporter, My Spirit Will Be A Haven Supporter, I Will Be A Haven Supporter No Matter What! Am A PROUD Haven Fan No Matter What! Haven Through Thick & Thin!"

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #14 on: 28 Nov 2007, 02:46:16 pm
i hope they put rl raw back to its old format the new format for it this year was poor to say the least, go back to the old show of all the episodes leading up to the final