HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

People are missing the point

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 27 Oct 2006, 09:59:40 pm
I do think that people are missing the point.  No one can realistically have issue with the way the clubs been run over the last 3 -4 years we have had our most succesful period in our history (arguably) and we are led to believe are in a very healthy financial positon.

The point people are discussing is the movement of the club and specifically the team forward year on year in relation to our abilities as a team..  Anyone with basic maths understands that we can't compete with Widnes and Castleford in financial terms ...they are basically SL clubs who have had the misfortune (or mismanagement) to get relegated.

What we do have the right to expect is the team to improve year on year in terms playing strength.   Not necessarily to the standard of Widnes or Castleford but in relation to the last years Whitehaven team.

Now that improvement may mean signing a better quality of player  (as we did in some respects last year with Wilkes Maiden Jacskon and Duffy) through improved income streams or it may mean letting go some of the more average players to free up space and money to bring in a better player .  These are all judgement decisons wich the coach and Bod must make.

What I think fans are struggling with is that DR has said "no plans to add to the current squad "..That dosent indicate development of the team.  We are arguably weaker than the start of 2006 season as all things being equal we had all the current squad plus Olly Wilkes...later replaced by Leafa.  To that extent it suggests all things been equal at least one major signing to put us in the same psoiton as the start of 2006  (otherwise the fans can subjectively say we are weaker than last year)

Two signings would suggest we are moving forward ...may be not far enough to compete with Widnes and Cas but moving forward within our own limitations. 

If there isnt the money for signings the BOD should say so.

F
What the fans are struggling with slightly

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #1 on: 28 Oct 2006, 07:12:18 pm
Totally  agree  with  you  there  Boxer.

We  lost  Wilkes  but  replaced  him  with  Leafe  who  has  now  gone  to  Cas.  In  effect  we've  only  lost  1  player  from  last  season's  team.

When  you  look  at  teams  like  Cas  and  Widnes  they've  made  a  number  of  signing's  but  just  how  many  have  they  lost ???

Offline Haven till I Die

• Academy Star
Reply #2 on: 29 Oct 2006, 12:56:14 pm
 "We are arguably weaker than the start of 2006 season"

Im sick of everyone saying things along these lines we have just finished the 2006 season

The 2007 season doesnt start for 4 months im sure if there is money available and the right player comes along then DR and the BOD will try and sign them. The last thing i want to see is us just going out and signing the first player who comes along just because he has SL experience or he is a Kiwi / Aussie. The signings we make should benefit the team not just to appease the fans i personally think we will be top 2 next year as the players all the other so called full time teams have to gel first we dont we know what we have and what we can do. Plus some of our players didnt have a full pre season last year ( Mcavoy, Smith) and this will surely only benefit the team.

So apart from that comment i totally agree with your post

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #3 on: 30 Oct 2006, 07:59:06 am
the players these other teams have signed will get 6 games in that daft cup competition to gel before the season starts so dont think they wont be a threat!

much as i admire your optimism i cant see us finishing higher than 4th, depending on leigh and donny

widnes and cas will be way ahead

remember we havent added<so far, but i'd like to hope we do> to a squad that in the end wasnt good enough in 2006
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline IceMan

• Academy Star
Reply #4 on: 31 Oct 2006, 02:26:31 am
the players these other teams have signed will get 6 games in that daft cup competition to gel before the season starts so dont think they wont be a threat!

much as i admire your optimism i cant see us finishing higher than 4th, depending on leigh and donny

widnes and cas will be way ahead

remember we havent added<so far, but i'd like to hope we do> to a squad that in the end wasnt good enough in 2006
A squad that was heavily depleted for a large part of the season and still only just lost in the semis......
If all had been fit from the start ( broken arm curse ) im sure we would have gone even further.....
What i like about this squad is that it will have been together yet another year and if they stay fit they play so well together.....
All the young guns are a year older and a year more experienced.
Despite the other teams signings i actually think from a stability point of view we are miles ahead, if we can project that onto the field we will be untouchable.
With regards to the other teams signing ex-super league players....so what ? How many did widnes and leigh have last year ? remind me what league they are in this year ?

Offline mattscunny

• Academy Signing
Reply #5 on: 06 Nov 2006, 11:09:31 pm
surely its better to keep hold of the bulk of the squad and just add a few and offload a few, we at cas have had no choice we had to almost buy a new squad due to most having superlegue contracts. i would much rather just tweek the team rather than replace the most of it..lets face it you did ok last year considering the fact you were only playing for pride. i'm sure that with a few addittions [note the word few ] you will be there in the mix come the end of the season. 
CAS TIGERS NL1 TOUR [ part 2  !! ]

specialbrew92

Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2006, 08:47:47 am
Sorry but i have to disagree with you's

The last time we appeared in the GF we had new players and replacements signed up for the next season. How comes we aren't doing that this season we are short of second rowers and a stand off.

Monte

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2006, 02:11:01 pm
hopefully we,l have some players added for next season
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline fatsrules

• Academy Signing
Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2006, 03:33:41 pm
People may be missing the issue but after watching Haven lose to teams like runcorn and nearly fold the past 3 years have been manna from heaven. never thought I would see have n win the league reach 2 grand finals. and alsoinvest in local talent.
Do not underestimate the job daisy and his team are doing on youth development.
P.s just watch Macca go whereever he plays next year, hopefully injury free