Offline haven lad 06

• First Team Regular
Reply #15 on: 28 Nov 2007, 03:21:04 pm
dont think sky will allow it
haven till i die

Offline LeeF

• First Team Regular
Reply #16 on: 28 Nov 2007, 07:47:18 pm
Could the people whingng at the financial side of the deal explain the second paragraph, or is it just a defeatist "the rfl will screw us again" attitude. The fact that they've negotiated a long contract shos that they were hapy with how last year went

I doubt they would stick NL1 on a Sunday when you think about it, The football is only off in June and July, which can take up any number of channels, and the cricket season runs parrallel to the NL season; Sky pump stupid money into those sports, and then there are the 2 SL games to take in. I know its not really fair on us but Sky have to make people watch there programmes and get value for their contracts, which is why we will be shifted to Thursday night when there is bugger all else on, and if we argue they just won't show NL games

haven lad 06, I think Dewsbury's attendance when we played there was about twice their Sunday attendances at half price, I'd guess that the extra thousand were more likely to buy burgers, beer(especially on my part, ha), programmes etc. Get it right and you'll make money, regardless of what Sky are paying

In response to your final statement Haven are in a bad position because of their Geography. Generally the games on SKY are the big games, Haven vs Cas, Haven vs Leigh. Dewsbury is on the M62 corridor so not that far for people to travel. But with our position not many fans will travel to Haven on a Thursday, hence Haven lose a great deal of money due to a lack of away fans. Also people have to go to work so those people don't go as do people who travel to support Haven.

Also Dewsbury offered a load of good deals and free tickets given to them by the sponsors so don't be deceived.

Dewsbury's sponsorship came from the Co-op just like veryone else who appeared on Sky

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #17 on: 28 Nov 2007, 08:40:46 pm
Could the people whingng at the financial side of the deal explain the second paragraph, or is it just a defeatist "the rfl will screw us again" attitude. The fact that they've negotiated a long contract shos that they were hapy with how last year went

I doubt they would stick NL1 on a Sunday when you think about it, The football is only off in June and July, which can take up any number of channels, and the cricket season runs parrallel to the NL season; Sky pump stupid money into those sports, and then there are the 2 SL games to take in. I know its not really fair on us but Sky have to make people watch there programmes and get value for their contracts, which is why we will be shifted to Thursday night when there is bugger all else on, and if we argue they just won't show NL games

haven lad 06, I think Dewsbury's attendance when we played there was about twice their Sunday attendances at half price, I'd guess that the extra thousand were more likely to buy burgers, beer(especially on my part, ha), programmes etc. Get it right and you'll make money, regardless of what Sky are paying

In response to your final statement Haven are in a bad position because of their Geography. Generally the games on SKY are the big games, Haven vs Cas, Haven vs Leigh. Dewsbury is on the M62 corridor so not that far for people to travel. But with our position not many fans will travel to Haven on a Thursday, hence Haven lose a great deal of money due to a lack of away fans. Also people have to go to work so those people don't go as do people who travel to support Haven.

Also Dewsbury offered a load of good deals and free tickets given to them by the sponsors so don't be deceived.

Dewsbury's sponsorship came from the Co-op just like veryone else who appeared on Sky

I was pointing out the fact that their gate was only increased due to the free tickets, not by the fact that a load of paying punters turned up because the game was on sky. They gained no extra gate receipts from all the people with free tickets. That was done to increase the crowd size so that it didn't look bad on the TV. Who the sponsor was is irrelevant.

Offline splodge99

• Academy Star
Reply #18 on: 29 Nov 2007, 08:43:00 am
Not only away fans.  I no longer live in whitehaven but still like to get to most home games, because of work commitments (like most people) cannot make it to games on a thursday.  Missed all the big games at the end of last season because sky was cheery picking the best games.  If I know i'm not gonna get a chance to see the big games again (which seems likeely for the reason mention above) then i'll porbably not bother at all.

Offline Fomerly of Northumbria Uni Haven

• Academy Star
Reply #19 on: 29 Nov 2007, 12:57:23 pm

I was pointing out the fact that their gate was only increased due to the free tickets, not by the fact that a load of paying punters turned up because the game was on sky. They gained no extra gate receipts from all the people with free tickets. That was done to increase the crowd size so that it didn't look bad on the TV. Who the sponsor was is irrelevant.

Tickets were half price for Dewsbury ?6 and ?3 for kids, I wasn't aware of any free tickets

Sheffield was free because it was changed at 4 days notice