HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Ground Developments

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
on: 01 Dec 2007, 11:27:58 pm
Any  news  on  our  proposed  new  stand.  Its  been  5  years  since  plans  to  re-develop  the  Rec  were  unveiled  and  yet  here  we  are  with a  ground  and facilities  in  a  worse  state  that  what  they  were  back  in  2002.  The  bar's  an  embarresment  when  you  see  what  other  clubs  have.  The  Toilets  are  a  joke.  Weeds  growing  all  over  the  place  not  to  mention  the  derelict  feel  to  the  place.

When  are  the  powers  that  be  going  to  make  a  statement  as  to  the  current situation  or  are  we  going  to  be  continually  fobbed  off  with  feeble  spin  like  excuses.  Whats  happenning  to  the  Pow  beck  area  for  example ???  How  much  as  been  raised  for  a  new  stand ???  With  team rebuilding,  issues  like  this  have  been  forgotten  about  but  are  vital  if  the  club  is  to  progress.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #1 on: 01 Dec 2007, 11:39:52 pm
well i agree with all of that the club are playing the fans and doing jack **** about it discracefull treatment its all a dream will never happen

Offline havendan

• Global Moderator
  • First Team Backup
  • Whoop whoop
Reply #2 on: 02 Dec 2007, 04:18:46 am
 It is worrying and you would have thought that we could at least be told how much is now needed for the new stands. I wonder how much of that 300k we have?
You are really a superfan amongst super fans in fact your the no.1 fan in Cumbria. Congratulations.

Offline parton.marra

• Academy Star
Reply #3 on: 02 Dec 2007, 10:30:27 am
I agree with what you say WhitehavenRLforever, this discussion has run and run for what seems like years now. Not only does there seem to be very little happening, we don't even seem to be trying to preserve what we have got. The ground is looking more and more decrepit as the seasons go by and frankly it is an embarrassment. All the facilities are basic to say the least, and you wouldn't think we were the top team in the County. It surprises me how we can keep the place open on Health and Safety grounds!
It boils down to lack of business acumen by the BOD, lack of vision, lack of ambition and no forward planning. The apathy that surrounds the club and the fact that the BOD are resting on the laurels is something that needs to be addressed or we are on a downward spiral. IMHO, we are already on it.

Till next time...........................................................

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 02 Dec 2007, 12:40:57 pm
What makes it so fustrating is when you see  other  clubs  getting  grounds  built  or  redeveloped.  On  Chris's  site  he's  put  on  a  360*  image  of  Leigh's  new  stadium  and  it  looks  very  impressive.  Only  downside  is  there  never  going  to fill  it  unless  they  get  into  SL.  All  were after  is  1  stand  although  funding  for  a  new  clubhouse  would  be  nice. 

Don't  our  tinpot  council  realise  that  a  successfull  RL  team  in  the  town  would  create  jobs  and  bring  in  much  needed  revenue  which  in  turn  would  give  the  area  an  economic  boost.  Clearly  not  many  of  them  are Haven  fans  although  when  we  played  Warrington  in  the  TV  game  3  years  ago  many  of  these  bigwigs  seemed  eager  to  make  it  to  the  marqee  the  club  got  put  up >:(

Offline Maca

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 02 Dec 2007, 01:54:39 pm
We should have moved years ago got some land and built while playing at the rec, land has been eatn up by houses and roads threw the years its always going to be the same in years to come the same old fighting with whoever to get something done.

Offline jonah1

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 05 Dec 2007, 09:07:39 pm
Does anybody out there now when or if the board are going to start on this/these new stands. Nothing seems to be happening year after year!

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 05 Dec 2007, 09:31:51 pm
cant do out without the funds pal, last time i heard we had raised 80k i think so thats only 220k short but im sure if we raised 150k washington would match that giving us 300k?

Monte2carlo

Reply #8 on: 05 Dec 2007, 11:52:00 pm
Hmm stand money is no good without a long lease from the miners welfare.

The only was we will see a new stand or ground improvements is for us to move to the copeland stadium. We will then be eligble for alot more government money and the council would probably help us.

Monte

Offline Blackie

• Academy Star
Reply #9 on: 06 Dec 2007, 07:57:31 am
Is it worth while moving to Copeland Stadium? Arsenal moved from Highbury. Liverpool and Everton are considering. Why not Haven too so that they could actually plan ahead better?

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #10 on: 06 Dec 2007, 09:37:34 pm
It could now be time to look at other options. Lets be honest the Rec doesn't have many saving graces and maybe a new ground with possible funding could be the way forward. I don't know all the facts in relation to the Rec but it appears that there are far too many parties involved who are unwilling or unable to help the club move forward. There comes a time when difficult decisions have to be made, is this one of them?

As a club we need to do whatever we can in order to get our hands on whatever funds there are available. If by moving to the Copeland Stadium we can obtain a variety of financial support then it may well be the way to go. Why not try to develop a true community stadium where a variety of sports are played and based. A real hive of sporting activity to unite the Town.

Offline WHITEHAVEN RLFC 4 EVA

• Haven Legend
Reply #11 on: 06 Dec 2007, 09:42:15 pm
the thing that gets to me is why cant copeland council help the town wid a ground every other team has the support from there councils y is haven any different the ground is whats letting the town and club down

i no the ground belongs to anouther firm but surley copeland could meet up and sort ground improvements owt we the fans dont ask for much just a decent ground for a decent team to play on

Offline Chorley Blue and Gold

• First Team Regular
Reply #12 on: 06 Dec 2007, 09:50:34 pm
I think you will find that Copeland Council don't seem to give a S**T about the club. If they did, they would be working hard to do something about the ground or its position. What other things in the Town bring the community together like the club? The Council are charged with looking after the people in their area. In such a small town the Council should be fully behind the club as a positive community issue . If you look at other clubs in NL1 and NL2 many of them have good backing from their local councils.

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #13 on: 06 Dec 2007, 11:34:09 pm
I  can't  understand  why  people  want  to  see  us  move to  the  Athletics  stadium.  Would  you  really  want  to  watch  a  match  miles  away  from  the  pitch  and  with  very  little  atmosphere ???

Offline Keith

• Fans Favourite
Reply #14 on: 06 Dec 2007, 11:47:46 pm
I think you will find that Copeland Council don't seem to give a S**T about the club. If they did, they would be working hard to do something about the ground or its position. What other things in the Town bring the community together like the club? The Council are charged with looking after the people in their area. In such a small town the Council should be fully behind the club as a positive community issue . If you look at other clubs in NL1 and NL2 many of them have good backing from their local councils.

The council want to purchase the land that is owned by the charity and they are working towards a compulsory purchase order of that land BUT that is not like popping down to the supermarket for a bag of taties.    If you have ever gone through the process of buying a house you will know that the process gets slowed down in solicitors offices!!!   Imagine having to go through maybe a dozen or more solicitors and you start to get a different picture.    At the end of the day the charity (Miners Welfare) has to ensure that they work in the best interests of the charity.    The Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation oversee the charity as they have a big say in what happens to the land and then on top of that the Charity Commission are governed by Laws of Parliament which instructs them that charity land can only be dealt with in certain ways.   Are you getting a different picture now?
Keith - Haven Legend previously a former Haven Immortal!!!