HavenFans.co.uk - The Unofficial Whitehaven RLFC Forum

Marquee Signing - What position?

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
on: 08 Dec 2007, 09:40:20 am
Bearing in mind the club still has not anounced its marquee / quota signing for 2008.  What position and type of player do people think it should be?

My own view it is a choice between a centre prop and backrow.

We have Fats Mcdonald Jacko Edmondson and Teare at prop.  The would concievably be collectively good enough to do the job we need.  I suppose only doubts are Fats Hill and Mcdonald have had their fair share of injuries over the last few years so maybe a sixth prop is required.

Backrow we have Fletch Miller Mcavoy Joe  Hill and Wright (last two who can also cover Prop).  We can probably expect top seasons from Miller and Fletch given they will want to get in the World Cup Squad.  Mcavoy is obviously good but agian the last two years he has been injured for large parts of the   NL1 campagin.

Centres look like Jackson, Elibeck, Maski with Mcavoy and Rudd as cover

We certainly have quite a lot of versatility in the squad if and when injuries hit.   The Top 17 with everyone fit looks quite strong but personally I think we could do with a quality centre.  Assuming a fair run with injuries i think we will be ok in the pack.
« Last Edit: 08 Dec 2007, 09:42:01 am by Boxer »

Offline RegDunnsFlatTop

• First Team Backup
Reply #1 on: 08 Dec 2007, 10:36:42 am

I disagree. I still think we need a creative stand off to partner Duffy. Finch is unproven and the jury is still out on Rudd in my opinion. Its the position we've struggled with since Obst left.

Forwards are ten a penny compared to decent half backs and with the current lack of talent available and an unwillingness to travel to Cumbria an overseas stand off / No 7 would solve the problem. Im sure Crarey's old pal Reddy would have a plethora of talent to recommend in that department.

Offline Boxer

• Fans Favourite
Reply #2 on: 08 Dec 2007, 11:04:19 am
I am sure if we wanted to we could get another Obst but I am not sure its necessary.  Rudd was the best stand off in NL1 last year withthe exception of Moran and poss Thackary he scored more points than both of them which included 17 trys.  In the last 5 -6 games he was outstanding for Haven.  I think Rudd deserves to be kept at stand off.  we certainly have far less talented players in other positons.

If Duffy gets himself fit as he did last year he is more than a decent scrum half.  The problem with Duffy is he has had 4 months of no training and he piles the pounds on which could make getting fit for 2008 difficult.

We also have Joe who can cover half back and Finch has been signed.

I know you could rasie questions about them all.  Joe - age   Duffy - fitness  Rudd - Creativity  Finch - not played at this level / unproven but signing another half back would not make sense IMO     

Offline i hate town

• First Team Regular
Reply #3 on: 08 Dec 2007, 12:17:18 pm
loose forward if we where going to but not just for the sake of it. rather we didnt sign and often can pick up from a super league team through the season

Offline puppetmaster

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #4 on: 08 Dec 2007, 01:07:55 pm
if the right guy is out there and available i would like to see us sign a ball handling back row forward, either 2nd row or loose forward,

if not then perhaps a hard, and i mean HARD, running prop, one who can burst a tackle and look to offload,
the reverand, big mac

Just cause you don't understand what's going on don't mean it don't make no sense
And just cause you don't like it, don't mean it ain't no good

Offline whitehavenRLforever

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #5 on: 08 Dec 2007, 08:53:14 pm
2nd row for me

Offline Full80mins

• Academy Star
Reply #6 on: 09 Dec 2007, 04:37:48 am
Why do people keep saying we need to sign anyone?
Let's see how the season goes before wasting cash.
What's the point in getting the club into debt when we needn't .
It's not as if promotions at stake.

Offline haven09

• Top Try Scorer
Reply #7 on: 11 Dec 2007, 04:41:34 pm
ive got family in australia big parramatta fans go to 1st grade and 2nd grade teams and they said this lad would do us a job.

2007 profile
Player Name: Tim Robinson
Date of Birth: 10/3/1988
Junior Club: Winston Hills
Position: Second Row / Lock / Prop
Height: 189cm Weight: 105kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys 2006

his australian schoolboys profile (2006)
TIM ROBINSON
From Patrician Brothers Blacktown in Sydney?s West, Tim is 185cm and weighs 100kg. A member of the Combined Catholic Colleges side in 2006, Tim also plays for the Parramatta Eels in SG Ball and captained that side and the Jersey Flegg team in 2006. He also enjoys any sport that involves a ball. Tim aspires to play in the NRL in the years to come.

http://www.ourfootyteam.com/images/school_players/patrician_bros_blacktown/mcsRL_grandFinal_size1.jpg

tim robsinson is on the right
« Last Edit: 11 Dec 2007, 05:04:16 pm by haven09 »